Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-05-2011, 06:57 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Cool Plumbing problems solved - thank God for Shark Bites!

Our local RV shop is full of great stuff...just recently we wanted to update our faucets in the b-room - new RV to us and 14-yearold fittings looked dingy and old...he suggested we use a 'brass' faucet in the shower vs. the plastic one my girl-friend had in her hand...installed it with a lot of grief - small area to work in behind the shower and had all sorts of problems getting the female fitting to go onto the faucet ends (Hot/Cold) - obviously because it was not the correct thing to do but we didn't know that yet...

Took the day off work along w/my girl and we headed out to camp...got set...had dinner, watched TV and went to sleep...next morning up, relaxing and my lady took a shower...all's good till we're sitting at the dinette chatting and we hear - pssssssssssssssssst....and water shooting all over but not at us - in the flipping wall...

Quickly, realizing there's no way to shut off water in the coach and thinking "I know what just happened" (eg - the faucet connection(s) failed) I head to the post and shut off the shore-water feed...noticing water running out of the side of the motor-home at the wheel-well...not fun...

...so sure enough it was the cold-water feed to the faucet that let loose so we spent a few hours attempting in that cramped, tight area to get the fitting to re-seat onto the faucet to no avail...so no water...no reason to stay camping...and we reluctantly and finally decided to head home since we were dead in the water...or without water...pun intended...

So the water pipes are this stiff gray tubing with no flex, no extra length and in a tight spot in the wall behind the shower, and the compression fitting is all screwed up cause we inappropriately tried to screw it (plastic) to the metal one, obviously at this point realizing we messed up the threads and we read after the fact that you should never use plastic fittings to metal (female/plastic - to male/metal)...so what can we do...

I have this great (yeah right) idea to hit Home-Depot and see if we can add a compression fitting once removing the one...knowing that doing that would make the non-flexible, hard-to-reach pipe that much more 'hard to reach' - but what do you do?

We hit Home-Depot and after finding with the help of one of the senior employees, compression fittings (brass) and he spent quite a bit of time trying to understand what I wanted to do...I said - remove the current right angle fitting, and add a compression fitting and come off of it with a flexiple pipe so I can finally hook up a faucet...

It took him a bit to understand as we examined options, but finally he showed us Shark-Bite fittings and I was like - This is perfect...we found the metal flexible pipes and a 1/2" shark-bite fitting with a pipe thread on the other end, and wall-ah...we're on the mark to get it fixed...

So I won't belabor that long story but it really did help tremendously - even though the fitting was a bit difficult to get into the tight opening behind the shower, after finagleing and cutting the existing tubing compression fitting off as square as I could on the tube (took a couple iterations to get it smooth and somewhat square) I slipped the Shark-Bite fitting on snuggly, attached the flexible metal tube to it and then to the faucet, energized the water pressure, and all was good - no leaks, etc...

Finally remounted the faucet and our weekend, Labor-day holiday camping experience is done...we didn't get to camp but learned alot about fittings, plumbing in the RV, and a 'new' to us anyway method of working with it easier than we could with our limited skills on this...

So if you need help with your plumbing and are not a plumber, I suggest these fittings...they're more money but well worth it...hopefully the end of this saga on the b-room and shower...onto learning additional stuff as it comes our way...
Firstpoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-07-2011, 03:07 AM   #2

You bring back memories. I had a similar experience year ago. (I guess I'm old) At least you have it all ready for the next trip.
Making repair and changes is part of the rv experience. I bet you will learn more and more ways to handle situations presented by your rv. I just hope all are enjoyable changes and upgrades.
Old 09-07-2011, 08:26 PM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club
http://www.sharkbiteplumbing.com

like this............ronspradley
ronspradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 11:46 AM   #4

Send a message via Yahoo to BlauMax
Agreed.. these things are wonderful.. especially in tight locations. I used the PEX in a house wall and left the sheet rock off the wall as I was not sure they would work as well as they did.. no leaks under city water pressure for a few weeks.. so, buttoned up the hole. Call me a happy camper. While expensive, they are a great time saver.. and, as mentioned above, perfect for plumbing in non-hospitible locations.
Old 09-08-2011, 11:54 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Glad to know it worked out in the end. I used Shark Bite fittings in 2008 when I plumbed in a dishwasher in our coach. They now have 24,000 mi and over 3 years on them and have not leaked, even with all the vibration of being in a moving house!
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 11:57 AM   #6

Send a message via Yahoo to BlauMax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2go View Post
have not leaked, even with all the vibration of being in a moving house!
I guess that should be a real for folks who live in CA.. Gotta say I've only felt a few earthquakes.. and then very minor.