Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-03-2013, 04:52 PM   #1
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
Pneumatic Step Cover Issue

I have 2000 Monaco Dynasty. The pnuematic step cover pops out when my wife hits the switch by her seat, however it doesn't retract.

Anyone come across this? Anyone have a solution or ideas on what to check?

As always, thanks in advance for answers.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-04-2013, 08:58 AM   #2
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
Anybody???

Old 09-04-2013, 05:58 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I'd imagine that the setup on your Dynasty is similar to my 03' Diplomat so I’ll use my coach for reference.

A little more info would be helpful…

Do you have multiple switches that run the step cover (i.e. one at the driver seat and one at the passenger seat) and if so do both switches act the same (i.e. if the passenger switch will extend but not retract does the driver switch act the same)? If they do then I suspect an issue with the valve, actuator, or slides that operate your step cover. If one switch works normally but the other doesn’t then I’d guess it is an electrical problem (most likely a disconnected wire or broken switch). Is your step cover slow to extend?

Another possibility is that one of the airlines to the actuator has broken or become disconnected. If this were the case I’d suspect you’d hear air leaking when you attempt to retract the cover. This repair would entail following the airline from the control valve to the actuator and repairing the leak.

I can tell you that the cover in my MH is pneumatically actuated and that there is a valve in the front driver side compartment (the one with all the 12v. electrical) where the force that the actuator exerts on the step cover can be adjusted. It is a black valve with three airlines connected to it. Mine has a sticker on it “Airman, Inc.” There are two small screws on the bottom that allow you to adjust the extension and retraction forces. One screw adjusts extension and the other retraction. I doubt that the adjustment on this valve would be so far out of whack that it would keep your cover from retracting, but it might be worth looking into. I’d think that if the problem is here, it is more than likely that either the valve or solenoid has gone bad, not that it is grossly out of adjustment. If you flip the switch to retract the cover and it just needs a little extra push to get it to retract then adjusting this valve might just do the trick.

Another possibility is that the rails that the cover slides on have become clogged with dirt and that the cover now takes additional force to retract. If this is the case I would extend the cover and clean and lubricate the rails as best as possible before adjusting the pressures on the control valve too much.

I’ve attached a picture of what the control valve looks like in the front bay of my MH. This will at least give you a place to start.

Best of luck
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Valve.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	178.9 KB
ID:	45423  
Fireman_898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 06:05 PM   #4
KIX

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogpatch View Post
I have 2000 Monaco Dynasty. The pnuematic step cover pops out when my wife hits the switch by her seat, however it doesn't retract.

Anyone come across this? Anyone have a solution or ideas on what to check?

As always, thanks in advance for answers.
Your air control valve will have two solenoids......one for retract and one for extension. Swap their positions. If the problem reverses (closes with switch rather than open) then your problem is a bad solenoid.
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 11:09 PM   #5
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireman_898 View Post
I'd imagine that the setup on your Dynasty is similar to my 03' Diplomat so I’ll use my coach for reference.

Do you have multiple switches that run the step cover (i.e. one at the driver seat and one at the passenger seat) and if so do both switches act the same (i.e. if the passenger switch will extend but not retract does the driver switch act the same)? If they do then I suspect an issue with the valve, actuator, or slides that operate your step cover. If one switch works normally but the other doesn’t then I’d guess it is an electrical problem (most likely a disconnected wire or broken switch). Is your step cover slow to extend?

Another possibility is that one of the airlines to the actuator has broken or become disconnected. If this were the case I’d suspect you’d hear air leaking when you attempt to retract the cover. This repair would entail following the airline from the control valve to the actuator and repairing the leak.

I can tell you that the cover in my MH is pneumatically actuated and that there is a valve in the front driver side compartment (the one with all the 12v. electrical) where the force that the actuator exerts on the step cover can be adjusted. It is a black valve with three airlines connected to it. Mine has a sticker on it “Airman, Inc.” There are two small screws on the bottom that allow you to adjust the extension and retraction forces. One screw adjusts extension and the other retraction. I doubt that the adjustment on this valve would be so far out of whack that it would keep your cover from retracting, but it might be worth looking into. I’d think that if the problem is here, it is more than likely that either the valve or solenoid has gone bad, not that it is grossly out of adjustment. If you flip the switch to retract the cover and it just needs a little extra push to get it to retract then adjusting this valve might just do the trick.

Another possibility is that the rails that the cover slides on have become clogged with dirt and that the cover now takes additional force to retract. If this is the case I would extend the cover and clean and lubricate the rails as best as possible before adjusting the pressures on the control valve too much.

I’ve attached a picture of what the control valve looks like in the front bay of my MH. This will at least give you a place to start.

Best of luck
Colin,

I have the switch at the driver seat and as well, one at my wife's seat. The copilot switch activates the step cover quickly. I forgot to try the driver switch. However, when I shut off the coach and closed the door I could hear air escaping. I opened the generator slide on the front and found what looked like the actuator valve in your picture (hard to tell as it was dirty), it had one air line on one side and had what looked like should have been two air lines on the other side but had one connector with nothing attached (looked broken off) where the air was escaping. It also had an electrical connection. This broken hose connector might be the problem. I'll show my mechanic when I take it in later this week and describe what you said. He'll at least look at it and tell me what this control is for and if it is some kind of valve that's made to release air. I may take a picture and compare to yours.
Old 09-05-2013, 08:49 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireman_898 View Post

Best of luck
Thank you for your excellent post. I do not have a monaco but my tiffin does have a pneumatic step cover. Mine works a bit too good when my wife closes the cover it bangs pretty loud. ( I have gotten her used to the idea of telling me when she closes it so that I do not look to see what I might have hit when it bangs) I never even thought about the pressure being adjustable on those. I will look at mine and see if I can ease up on the pressure to close so that it does not bang.