Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-04-2014, 08:54 AM   #15

rv shelter

We are redoing our no sides shelter to be fully insulated so I don't have to winterize. Not planning to add heat as I have a fully insulated garage that never get below 40 here in western NC. Just a tip for the roof we are adding a reflective barrier plus 6" bats, walls will be reflective barrier plus 3 1/2' bats. Insulated roll up door. we are still working on it doing the work ourselves.
Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010097.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	376.0 KB
ID:	69866   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010069.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	547.2 KB
ID:	69867  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-04-2014, 09:31 AM   #16

Carolina Carports are hard to beat. $3,861.95 including drawing the permit. I had it built a few years back for our fifthwheel. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1407162705.637208.jpg
Views:	327
Size:	881.3 KB
ID:	69871

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum

Old 08-04-2014, 10:56 AM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGalliard01 View Post
We are redoing our no sides shelter to be fully insulated so I don't have to winterize. Not planning to add heat as I have a fully insulated garage that never get below 40 here in western NC. Just a tip for the roof we are adding a reflective barrier plus 6" bats, walls will be reflective barrier plus 3 1/2' bats. Insulated roll up door. we are still working on it doing the work ourselves.
Dave

Looks great. Do you do buildings in Florida? Say Pomona park area?
Jeff753 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 10:39 PM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanJH View Post
Who did you get the building from ? That's about the size I was looking for.
It was custom built by a local co Excalibur Steel Buildings. The are in NE WA, I think the mileage charges would be a deal breaker!
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 04:39 AM   #19

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evileyes View Post
I priced several manufactures to include Morton. They were the most with the least. I had the Omish build my barn to match a barn on Morton site making it similar to what i could see in the pictures. For the same build through Morton for a 42 x 60 they wanted $96000 for what they called the shell... No electrical, no concrete, no lights nothing just the shell with insulation. I told them to pack sand. I got mine built with all the stuff I wanted and more for $88000. See pics
Nice building. I can see your point regarding the Morton prices. Their quote is not as high for mine and I have decided to go Morton. I will post pictures when available.
Old 08-05-2014, 08:21 AM   #20

Morton makes good stuff. I remember a few years back, we decided to build a weekend cabin on the lake, and we liked an existing plan that Morton had for a nice horse barn. We were going to do the finish work ourselves so we just wanted the barn with concrete floors. Their price was competitive so we started working with them for construction. When they found that this was ultimately going to be a residence, they promptly doubled the estimate. There was no change on the specs, just a change in intended use. We then built a log cabin and haven't looked back. We did not consult them when we built the 40X60 RV barn, as that was probably residential in their minds eye.

For anyone building a steel pole barn for an RV garage do some research on the constructor. We have put up several such buildings on our farm to store equipment, such as RV's, classic cars and farm equipment. When we built them we had friends tell us that theirs had been built much lower costs and that we payed way too much. Ours are tight and maintenance free while our friends have trouble with rodents, small cats and large insects and have had to have additional work done to get them insulated and tight, as well as replacing cheap operating doors, not to mention bad concrete work. Cheap is cheap.
vraines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 05:23 AM   #21

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by vraines View Post
Morton makes good stuff. I remember a few years back, we decided to build a weekend cabin on the lake, and we liked an existing plan that Morton had for a nice horse barn. We were going to do the finish work ourselves so we just wanted the barn with concrete floors. Their price was competitive so we started working with them for construction. When they found that this was ultimately going to be a residence, they promptly doubled the estimate. There was no change on the specs, just a change in intended use. We then built a log cabin and haven't looked back. We did not consult them when we built the 40X60 RV barn, as that was probably residential in their minds eye.

For anyone building a steel pole barn for an RV garage do some research on the constructor. We have put up several such buildings on our farm to store equipment, such as RV's, classic cars and farm equipment. When we built them we had friends tell us that theirs had been built much lower costs and that we payed way too much. Ours are tight and maintenance free while our friends have trouble with rodents, small cats and large insects and have had to have additional work done to get them insulated and tight, as well as replacing cheap operating doors, not to mention bad concrete work. Cheap is cheap.
You and others have given me a reason to reconsider Morton. I will let you know what happens! Confusing. Thanks.
Old 08-11-2014, 06:09 PM   #22

Pole Barn

Thanks yall for the great information. I think I have decided on a 24X48, with a 14X14 roll up door. Now to geter done.
Old 08-11-2014, 06:19 PM   #23
RVM#87 / Senior Member

Solo Rvers Club
Not sure where you are located, but you may want to check with Menards for pricing and availability in your area.

https://www.menards.com/main/buildin...als/c-5712.htm
Retired & perfecting procrastination!
DieselTech39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 07:55 PM   #24

Tiffin Owners Club
I just had a 24x48 pole barn built for our Tiffin 35 QBA and it provides ample room. I can walk around it with the slides out and I have 6 feet in front and behind it when parked. I started to do a smaller door but I am glad I went with the 14x14 roll up door. The nice thing about the roll up door is that it fits up between the rafters and doesn't take up any head room and the opener mounts to the side.
Old 08-11-2014, 11:39 PM   #25

Ours is 40x48x14. It is not big enough and I wish it was 48x72x16. Maybe we have too much "stuff".
The cost was approximately $25000 which included one 12x14 door, one man door and concrete floor. Lights, wiring, insulation, more doors and windows were added since the original build and were done piecemeal so I don't have a cost for that (or maybe I just don't want to know how much).

Be careful who you get to build it, we lost a 1/3 down payment to a builder that went bankrupt and also delayed the building for one year. On the second start, we became the contractor and hired a couple of local pole barn carpenters to do the actual building. The cost was about 2/3 of our original contract price.
Old 08-13-2014, 06:00 AM   #26

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I received the final numbers from the excavator the other day. At first the new road to the building was drawn up at 10 foot wide. I asked for another estimate to include 14 foot wide and a 40 foot by 42 foot parking pad in front of the building. This raised the price approximately 1800.00 but I believe it will be worth it.
Meeting with the Morton rep on Thursday and will consider all options to balance the numbers. Not sure if Morton will work out if we cannot get the numbers down a bit. Looks like this entire job is going to tap out my funds. Still have 2000 feet of post and board fencing to do and was hoping to have enough left over to cover the cost. Might have to consider another option on the building options. We will see. I will keep you all informed and post photos of the progress. I am still looking at other builders and welcome additional suggestions.
Old 08-14-2014, 08:05 AM   #27

My son recently put up a building for his 43' Ellipse and 24' matching enclosed trailer. It's 80' X 100' with a dividing wall through the middle. All floors are heated, complete dump station and 50 amp service. Has a hoist in one end and an enclosed 90' shooting range. He won't tell me what it cost, but he does let me use his shop with hoist and more snap-on tools that I could imagine.

As for mine, I just have a 14' x 45' RV port that was $8500 five years ago. To protect it from our WI winters, I park it next to our home in AZ for six months. I like my way better.