Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-25-2012, 10:19 AM   #15

Forest River Owners Club
I've been researching what to use on our 2000 Jayco. This will be my first exterior cleanup on it (other than washing) since we got it earlier this year. There's definitely a dozen years of oxidation on the finish, so I want something to remove that without harming the fiberglass sides. Even though it's rather pricey, I'm leaning toward the Poli Glow - at least for this first time. I agree that if you're starting with a new(er) rig that just needs protection you might not need to go with a system like Poli.

Like Lincolnboy said above, prep is important and that's mainly what I'm concerned with here...
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-25-2012, 10:30 AM   #16

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Old or new, the 'cleaner' in the poli-glow wont do a better job..

But,

http://www.myboatstore.com/article3.htm

http://www.poliglow-int.com/images/h...rer_update.pdf
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 10:30 AM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Preparation is the most important thing. One of our experts on the forum posted a word file that explains the whole processl. Cheap....I don't know but it is a lot of work.

So I will post the file that the other forum member wrote. I updated it with some info such as the replacement for Red Maxx Pro.
Attached Files
File Type: doc REDMAX 3 APPLICATION.doc (56.0 KB, 198 views)
TST 507 w/ 10 Sensors
greystroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 10:31 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steverino View Post
I've been researching what to use on our 2000 Jayco. This will be my first exterior cleanup on it (other than washing) since we got it earlier this year. There's definitely a dozen years of oxidation on the finish, so I want something to remove that without harming the fiberglass sides. Even though it's rather pricey, I'm leaning toward the Poli Glow - at least for this first time. I agree that if you're starting with a new(er) rig that just needs protection you might not need to go with a system like Poli.

Like Lincolnboy said above, prep is important and that's mainly what I'm concerned with here...

The problem with using polyglo or any of the floor finishes popular today is once you have it on, it can be a night mare to remove. Just ask me. After three years on my fiver the polyglo was starting to look bad, so I decided to strip it off and start over the correct way, with quality marine/RV waxes. Took me about 4 days of stripping and I still did not get all of the crap off. I just cant wait till all these proponents of this stuff start seeing the finish look bad and try to strip it off and redo it. The horror stories will be all over the forums. IMHO the absolute best thing you can do is start with the correct products for the job in the first place. Keep at it every year and enjoy your RV.
Old 10-25-2012, 10:36 AM   #19

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
sorry, bad link..

http://www.poliglow-int.com/content/...rer_update.pdf
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 11:12 AM   #20

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by 450Donn View Post
The problem with using polyglo or any of the floor finishes popular today is once you have it on, it can be a night mare to remove. Just ask me. After three years on my fiver the polyglo was starting to look bad, so I decided to strip it off and start over the correct way, with quality marine/RV waxes. Took me about 4 days of stripping and I still did not get all of the crap off. I just cant wait till all these proponents of this stuff start seeing the finish look bad and try to strip it off and redo it. The horror stories will be all over the forums. IMHO the absolute best thing you can do is start with the correct products for the job in the first place. Keep at it every year and enjoy your RV.
I agree. If you want your fiberglass MH to look good and stay looking good use what boat owners use which is a fiberglass cleaner followed by a fiberglass wax. Meguliar's 44 or 49 applied with a DA polisher followed by Ultimate fiberglass wax for UV protection will work well if you are willing to also work at it. Cleaner on ours was recently done after 7 years of owning coach followed by waxing. Just make sure not to use the cleaner on decals 303 will protect decals. You can however wax over the decals
Old 10-25-2012, 11:39 AM   #21

Forest River Owners Club
Question: I know my rig has fiberglass sides, but I'm not sure that they are gel coat... On mine you can still see some of the fibers in the surface (it's not mirror smooth). I assume I do not have gel coat. Does this sound right?

If so, is there a difference in what one should use on maintaining a regular 'glass vs. gelcoat?
Old 10-25-2012, 12:28 PM   #22

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
I know its too late, but Poli Glow is very specific about using its aerosol stripper to remove the product. I was very worried about that too before I put it on, and talked to a couple of folks that did use this stripper and had no problems getting it off. BUT, Poli Glow requires a minimum once a year refresher or maintenance coat too. If they aren't kept up, it will deteriorate and get to the condition you encountered even faster in salt water areas I think it says 1-2 coats per year for maintenance..... I HOPE I never have to strip it, I have an extra bottle and will be doing my maintenance coat before summer next year, maintenance will sure be easier than what you are going through, I feel for ya!

Poli Strip - Aerosol Poli Glow Stripper - Poli Glow Products
Old 10-25-2012, 12:38 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steverino View Post
Question: I know my rig has fiberglass sides, but I'm not sure that they are gel coat... On mine you can still see some of the fibers in the surface (it's not mirror smooth). I assume I do not have gel coat. Does this sound right?

If so, is there a difference in what one should use on maintaining a regular 'glass vs. gelcoat?
Sorry, if you are seeing fibers, your gel coat surface has failed. There is only one fix. And it is expensive, time consuming and not for the average DIYer.
PolyGlo or any of the floor polish finishes people are touting on the forums will do nothing to fix your problem. It may look shiny, sort of for a while, but your underlying problem will still be seen. Strip, clean and reapply a gel coat is your only solution.
Old 10-25-2012, 12:49 PM   #24

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
A buddy of mine used Mop N Glo on the sidewalls of his tires on his Kenworth from new. Wipe it on.......Wipe it off. I tried it on one of my tires. I think it looks pretty good. I refuse to use ArmorAll as it wrecks the rubber.
TRAILERKING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 01:25 PM   #25

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Sorry, if you are seeing fibers, your gel coat surface has failed. There is only one fix. And it is expensive, time consuming and not for the average DIYer.
PolyGlo or any of the floor polish finishes people are touting on the forums will do nothing to fix your problem. It may look shiny, sort of for a while, but your underlying problem will still be seen. Strip, clean and reapply a gel coat is your only solution.
No, I think you misunderstood what I was trying to say. I don't see the actual fiberglass fibers - just that the surface is not perfectly smooth like a boat hull or a Corvette. There are very small ridges / bumps / patterns visible beneath the surface... Sorta like on a corrugated fiberglass awning sheet (if that makes sense). My sides are not physically damaged or worn out - but there is oxidation. The fact that it's not a mirror smooth surface makes me think that my rig's glass doesn't have a "gel coat" on it. Or, maybe it does but it's not a very thick one... That's what I'm unsure of.
Old 10-25-2012, 01:44 PM   #26

Gulf Streamers Club
Almost all fiberglass panels will have been made with a gelcoat surface. It is sprayed first into the mold, then fiberglass mat or chop and resin is laid in on top of the gelcoat. When removed from the mold, the panel will have the smooth, glassy gelcoat surface. Sometimes the mat can imprint through the gelcoat. I'd suggest cleaning with Barkeeper's Friend and TSP, then multiple coats of Zep or Red Max #3. Much cheaper and lasts as long as the more expensive Polyglo. Mop N Glo is a cleaner and floor finish, I've seen it yellow on a floor, I wouldn't use it on my RV.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 01:47 PM   #27

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRAILERKING View Post
A buddy of mine used Mop N Glo on the sidewalls of his tires on his Kenworth from new. Wipe it on.......Wipe it off. I tried it on one of my tires. I think it looks pretty good. I refuse to use ArmorAll as it wrecks the rubber.
Just talking to Michelin yesterday about new tires and their official recommendation for tire treatments now is 'soap and water only, no protectants'. They told me put no treatments at all on the sidewalls.

I was shocked because most folks have some form of treatment or protectant on their tires, but that's what they told me....so I will abide their recommendations and not put anything on my sidewalls... and they will be dull and un shiney.....sigh.....
Old 10-25-2012, 02:45 PM   #28

Two waaayyyy off topic.
OK now you are making more sense. Personally after using Polyglow I would tell you to get a decent orbital buffer, and plan a couple of weekends to to the job correctly. McGuires makes some awesome products designed for boat and RV's. get it follow the instructions about cleaning and waxing. You will fin that if done carefully your trailer will shine like a new penny. There are a couple of products out there that the boating world uses with great success. There is no way in heck I would use floor polish on the outside of my 80 thousand dollar trailer. That logic simply makes no sense to me.