Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 10-25-2012, 03:18 PM   #29
This is a Poli-Glo shine. Both caps were so bad they were chalky when I purchased the trailer after a year on the dealer's lot. I thought nothing would bring it back - Meguire's and a buffer wouldn't touch it either. I'm like the poster above. Our many thousand dollar trailer is worth more then a cheap floor refinisher product. And yes, it does come off with the proper product.

Dave W along with my DW, Susan and our poodlepups, Callie & Molly,2011 Ford F250 6.7 CCLB, 5er Hitch Option w/B&W Hitch,,Ride Rite air bags, 2014 Montana High Country 343RL (38')
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-25-2012, 03:39 PM   #30
Just a note of caution. I seem to remember when I was in the sailboat mode that a number of fellow sailors used PoliGlow on their hulls. It turned yellow over the next year or so, and was very difficult to remove. Hope this is not the same product. My information is from several years ago.

JBDISCOVERY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 06:04 PM   #31
Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
The reports I linked to so NONE of the products actually yellowed. Some did peel however.. Poli-Glow did not.
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 06:16 PM   #32
Originally Posted by Steverino View Post
No, I think you misunderstood what I was trying to say. I don't see the actual fiberglass fibers - just that the surface is not perfectly smooth like a boat hull or a Corvette. There are very small ridges / bumps / patterns visible beneath the surface... Sorta like on a corrugated fiberglass awning sheet (if that makes sense). My sides are not physically damaged or worn out - but there is oxidation. The fact that it's not a mirror smooth surface makes me think that my rig's glass doesn't have a "gel coat" on it. Or, maybe it does but it's not a very thick one... That's what I'm unsure of.
I think you have a "filon" construction. Crane Co. - FilonŽ
2008 Mobile Suites RE3/2004 F450 Chassis Cab
Barlow46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 07:01 AM   #33
Winnebago Owners Club
This winter, will be winter #3 my poli-glow finish will endure. I've applied a single refresher coat each spring. I am 100% satisfied with the results. No flaking, no yellowing, just a high gloss showroom finish.
When 1st applied in April of 2010 I used their poli-prep solution and painstakingly cleaned the exterior finish followed by 4 initial coats of the poli-glow. Amazing results!
Deliberetely, I left the rear wall of my coach in its original form, as a reminder of "why" I decided to do this makeover. I expect my springtime, single coat, reapplication routine to continue to keep the smile on my face. Should this process ever become a PITA, I'll simply have a look at the backend of the coach and redouble my effort.
1997 F53 Adventurer 37rw
IAFF L-792 (Retired)
Lt46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 06:51 AM   #34

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Just received my Poly Strip.

Poly Glow told me last week (after I called complaining about the look after 3 years in the beating sun--despite my maintenance coats twice annually) that the product DOES wear out after a few years, especially in high sun (I have no cover for mine, sitting in the back yard the curb side gets the afternoon sun) and has to be stripped and re-applied....

I can't imagine this is going to be a pleasant experience, but I'll be keeping you all posted. One thing is for sure, this amount of work to strip, clean, and re-apply every 3 years (October of 2012 it looked brand new, now it looks dull, chocky, semi yellowy, despite the last 2 years it always looked great after maintenance coats).

I have to say that had I known I'd be stripping it back off, (product information says LASTS FOR AT LEAST 12 MONTHS) I'd have thought twice, but then again, waxing is very labor and hour intensive, and the past 3 years, its been very easy to wash and re-apply the maintenance coats of Poly Glow.....so who knows.

I'll be keeping y'all posted of how this "Poly Strip" works out.....not very hopeful though.....

Kent - '03 Fleetwood Storm Ford F-53 V-10
With Susie (Lhasa); Angie (Shorkie) Ferbie (ShihTzu)
In Memoriam: Katie, Spencer and Zoey
Lincolnboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 03:59 AM   #35
Ford Super Duty Owner
Please do let us know how it goes. I did end up going with the Poli Glow and have been pleased thus far - but things can change... I'm a firm believer that RV ownership is a constant battle with entropy.
Steve & Carol

2000 Jayco 3230K Designer
Steverino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 07:41 AM   #36

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
So I spent about 7 hours stripping the Poli Glow from the coach on Saturday. I took two passes to get it off, then washed it down.

What I was amazed at was I though the front cap looked very good, but when I stripped it off the sides up to the edge (on the edges of the front cap from the sides) I could see the major difference in how white the coach was without the poli glow and how dingy the poli glow looked.

I don't know, maybe because it sits out in the sun all year, maybe I didn't do the maintenance coats right, maybe on and on etc etc...but it just looked great the first year, year and a half, but the past year and half, especially since my last maintenance coat in April, it just didn't clean up right.

I am going to go back to regular wash and wax. I unfortunately ran out of time and energy, so I'm calling the big guns, a professional RV outfit, to come wash/wax the sides, wash and treat the rubber roof. Which I cannot get up to do the roof or the tops of the front and rear caps properly anyway....

So I'll let you know how it comes out, but I elected not to return to the Poli Glow at this time, considering the prep, application, maintenance coats, I have over 70 hours in the Poli Glow product, not to mention at least 300 in costs of the product. It's great for coaches that don't have such sun damage as mine I believe, as the street side of my coach was no where near as bad as the curb side.

Here are pics after the poli strip...doesn't look that bad, a whole lot whiter (especially the curb side) than before the strip for sure....

At least now when I wash and wax the coach, it will look like it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20151010_120051418.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	109439   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20151010_120017374.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	107.2 KB
ID:	109440  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20151010_115954694.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	104.3 KB
ID:	109441   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20151010_115945305.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	148.3 KB
ID:	109442  

Old 10-14-2015, 08:38 AM   #37

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
So the RV Wax guy calls me this morning and tells me its a complete waste of time to try to wax the coach.

Said there is no clear coat left and it wouldn't shine up at all. He said it was a complete waste of time and money and couldn't no way take my money for nothing. Said there were too many microfractures in the surface of the curb side....

When I used the poli prep, then poli glow then the poly strip, evidently there is nothing left of the original clear coat to make it look shiney.

So looks like I have no choice but to go back and poli glow the coach....

Old 11-29-2015, 07:27 AM   #38
Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Just used poly glow for the first time on my 2005 terra and what a great product when applied correctly on a clean and dry motorhome. The coach looks brand new. I love this product. Lots of work but worth every calorie used

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum

Cacique is offline   Reply With Quote