Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-13-2016, 08:27 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Polish/Wax/Seal

Giving very serious consideration to purchasing a dual action buffer to reduce waxing time. My biggest issue at this point is what polish/wax/sealant to use. I admit that some of the jargon confuses me. What is cutting ?? Since our MH is 15 years old I don't expect miracles but I do want a respectable result. What wax/polish/sealant are you using and, in layman's terms, what is the process you use along with what pads you use.

I have no problem spending hours to accomplish the task but it seems that there are just so many different paths to take. I'm just lost so I'm looking to see what route others have taken.

Thanks

LSC9901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-13-2016, 08:38 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Cutting refers to cutting through the top oxidized paint/clear coat.

It all depends on the condition of your paint.

Basic steps are remove oxidation, polish, wax/seal.

All kinds of products.

I recommend you try a couple of products by hand in a troubled area.
Then you will know if the product works....then buy a buffer.

Regards,

Dan

Old 04-13-2016, 08:44 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The paint is in pretty good condition. The decals are another story for another thread. Last year I tried waxing by hand with something along the lines of Turtle wax. It seems as though it didn't spread evenly and the final product seemed to have voids of wax. There really isn't much if any oxidation with the paint. I'd like to do a good job so i assume I may want to use some type of cleaning compound and then wax but I just don't know what products to use.

Old 04-13-2016, 10:29 PM   #4

If you go to "auto geek" website you'll see some dual action buffers. I have a Cyclo and I love it. The cutters you're referring to are the pads that go on the buffers. Each pad is a different color and each color represents a more course pad.

These are easy to use and contrary to what you hear you have to work hard at being stupid to do any damage with the exception of the decals. A buffer ruins a decal as soon as it touches it.
dave&ginny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 10:43 PM   #5

The guys at Auto Geek know their products and will steer you in the right direction.

Your Car Wax SuperStore - We Are Car Care, Car Wax, Car Polish, Auto Detailing Supplies, Car Buffers & Car Accessories Store

Good luck!
Old 04-13-2016, 10:43 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Without suggesting brands, there are combination cleaner/wax like Turtle wax,or separate items, starting with rubbing, then polishing compounds, then polishes, finally sealers or wax.

You want to minimize what you remove, that is why I suggest you try several products.

You have to sequence from the most agressive, up thru the final wax.

Regards,

Dan
Old 04-13-2016, 11:21 PM   #7

Check out Duragloss 503. Just did mine. Cleans, Polishes and seals in one step.
Got great results.
Old 04-13-2016, 11:33 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We have been using Rejex since the coach was new. It goes on easy and stays on. You will need to clean all the old wax off before applying Rejex. It isn't cheap but it lasts and lives up to its claim that "nothing sticks but the shine".

You can buy Rejex here and they also sell xtreme clean for removing the old wax.

RejeX: Nothing Sticks but the Shine!

Jon
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 11:47 PM   #9

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I've been using Dry Wash N Guard to protect my rigs. Even the 13 year old Dutch Star was in great condition. I did the Magna last year and there are a few dirty areas but not many for being stored outside for over 6 months. Even do the glass with it, usually don't need the windshield wipers, plus no water spots on the glass.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 07:02 AM   #10

There is a difference between caring for full body paint and gel coat (which it appears your coach is). I have no experience with gel coat. McKees is a sponsor on this site, and I would also suggest you seek thier input........

I have several long posts in each of the following threads regarding exterior detailing processes and products, but they are regarding full body paint.

Buff and wax price

Coach waxing

Regards
Betr2Trvl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 07:25 AM   #11

Thor Owners Club
What about the ZEP product line at Home Depot? Available?

I remember reading on irv2 a 2-3 years ago about people who had used a ZEP product, (Floor Wax maybe?) from Home Depot and it seemed to be the thing everyone was doing.

Is that product still being used? I did not see anyone mention it on this thread.

James
Kro1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 07:54 AM   #12
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Our 16 year old coach has full body paint and looks pretty good with only two small areas where the top coat is coming up. I use Turtle Wax Ice which is a non-wax polymer sealer. It sprays on and wipes off easily--it's almost like using a window cleaner like Windex. It doesn't get hard or turn white and the water beads up just like it was waxed. I've been using it on all our cars and trucks for years. It takes me less than two hours to clean and polish the entire coach. It can be applied to paint, plastic, chrome, plastic chrome, aluminum and steel, even windows.
Old 04-14-2016, 11:13 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kro1957 View Post
I remember reading on irv2 a 2-3 years ago about people who had used a ZEP product, (Floor Wax maybe?) from Home Depot and it seemed to be the thing everyone was doing.

Is that product still being used? I did not see anyone mention it on this thread.

James
I did in fact use that on a previous coach that we had. It worked very well. The finish on our current bus is in much better condition. I just want to add a nice wax/polish/sealant to keep it looking great. In this case the Zep will not do what I'm looking for.

Old 04-14-2016, 04:06 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Wow... I think you have unknowingly opened a can of worms.

A lot will depend on the type of exterior and condition of exterior of your motorhome. I agree with the recommendation to go to "Auto Geeks." Their prices and wide selection of products are good. They also provide superior guidance on their products. Technique is also a big portion of a successful outcome.

You will need to do your research. The nice thing about a dual action polisher is they are very safe on the finish (clearcoat or gel coat) because the speed of the polisher will not burn the finish.

I have the Porter Cable 7424xp dual action polisher, a wide variety of pads (orange, yellow, gray, and blue). Take a look at the following link for explanation of the type of pads... Autogeek Buffing Pad Comparison Chart

Regarding compounds, waxes, sealants, etc., it really is trial and error. Some go on and off easier than others. Some last longer than others. Buy a couple different compounds and waxes, and start experimenting with small sections at a time. Have fun with it.

Good luck!

**Update**

Here is another pad application guide

http://www.lakecountrymfg.com/applicationguide/

Firestone Airbags, Hellwig front/rear Anti-Sway Bars,
Rear Trac Bar, Safe-T-Plus, and 480 watt solar system.
Rossi6998 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
seal