Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
View Poll Results: What do you do to keep your tires balanced?
Standard wheel weights are fine 24 48.98%
I like beads 20 40.82%
I like weights and beads 3 6.12%
I use Centramatic or something besides weights or beads 4 8.16%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-08-2014, 08:48 PM   #15

Six new tires from Love's travel stop, spin-balanced. Of several big tire shops in the area, they were the only shop setup to spin. Was told most all their semi customers insist on weights over beads. Dunno, but they do ride smoothly.

BobinKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-08-2014, 09:52 PM   #16
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
In my younger days I worked at a tire store and spun balanced everything. I was a HUGE proponent of spin balancing.

Several years ago when we started having issues with the JUNK Goodyear G670's wearing badly, (even though they were balanced), I went with Centramatics on the rears after installing new tires. The Centramatics made the rears wear perfectly over 40000 miles.

I finally replaced the front tires with new Hankooks after two rounds of junk Goodyears on the front. I decided to try the beads. The beads worked really well and the Hankooks rode as smooth as glass.

First, anyone who says tRV tires don't need balancing are just kidding themselves. I still believe spin balancing passenger car tires is fine. They don't have so much tread that when they start to wear they change shape. With the large RV tires, they lose a lot of tread over their lifetime and change balance. So spin balancing would be fine if you did it once or twice during the life of the tire. The beads do this automatically. Every time you drive, they're adjusting to conditions. I'm sold on the beads.

Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 09:57 PM   #17

Front and rear...computer balanced using std. weights.

RIP 'Squeaky'
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 11:00 PM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
First, anyone who says tRV tires don't need balancing are just kidding themselves.
22.5" RV tires do not have to be balance. If you have a problem with a 22.5" tire it is not mounted correctly.

No new motorhome, with 22.5" tires, comes out of the factory with any type of tire balancing. 22.5" tires only rotate ~500 revolutions per mile. Workhorse never balanced a 22.5" tire for any of their chassis'.

19.5" tires may need balanced.

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 11:41 PM   #19

National RV Owners Club
This is one of the questions that get as many answers as which oil to use, dyno or synthetic.

I added Magnum beads when we changed our 22.5 tires two years ago. I have about 20,000 miles on the tires and have a smooth ride. With the old tires there was a slight bounce. They were balanced with weights. I chose the beads because they say they will constantly balance the tires and it only cost $15 per tire.
Belgian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 08:57 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
Equal in all tires. Works great.

What is that, and what size tires are you running?
Old 07-09-2014, 09:24 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichn2go View Post
Weights, beads just didn't work for me.

Since '01, (for 100k+ miles), I have always run all 6 tires spin balanced, (AND with a set of 4 Centramatic balancers installed: Centramatic Wheel Balancer, Tire Balancers for DFW Trucks).
Mel
'96 Safari, 132k miles, (currently on the 3rd set of 6 Michelins).
Old 07-09-2014, 09:35 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom N View Post
22.5" RV tires do not have to be balance. If you have a problem with a 22.5" tire it is not mounted correctly.
Tom N
In my experience that is just plain WRONG!
If you have a problem with a 22.5" tire it is not mounted correctly... OR it is NOT BALANCED correctly!
Mel
'96 Safari, 132k miles
Old 07-09-2014, 09:45 AM   #23

Ford Super Duty Owner
Poll closed?? Why?

add me to those that voted

I like weights and beads

As tires wear the balance need changes. weights are good but only for a certain period of time.
What I think would be best is a mix of weight and beads. THe weight would be good for 100% of the balance at first and as time goes on the beads help keep the tire balanced completely.

This way should take less bead weight as well.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 11:03 AM   #24

I used Dynabeads and I would recommend them as I have had very good
service with them.
Old 07-09-2014, 01:56 PM   #25
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Tom N......You might want to do a little more research on both of your statements.

Have you ever been present when tires are mounted and balanced? If you had, you will see that there are many things that can affect a tire. Really poor quality tires can be out of round and will never ride correctly. If you get a good installer, they mount the tire and balance it. If the tire takes a lot of weight, they remove the assembly from the balancer and rotate the tire on the rim and check it again. High end passenger car tires actually have a painted dot on the sidewall that is suppose to be aligned with the valve stem for best balancing.

Once the tire is mounted in it's best location, you then balance it, be either spin, beads or wheel balancers like the Centramatic. Any vibration is not acceptable to those of us that care and can feel how their coach is riding.

Many truckers may not balance their tires because of costs (Fleet savings), heavy duty suspension where you wouldn't feel the shake (duals and trailer) and frequency of replacement, but many do. Again, go to a truck store and watch the tires being mounted. Often, they only static balance the rears, but the majority are being balanced, especially the fronts.

Regarding your factory balancing statement....my 2005 Diplomat and my 2014 Newmar 22.5's both came with all of the wheels balanced from the factory! Maybe Winnebago saves money by not balancing theirs.

Lastly, if you're the type that can't typically feel your coach having an issue, like a bad tire, shock, or unusual noise, then not balancing your tires is probably fine.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 07:02 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekanic View Post
As tires wear the balance need changes. weights are good but only for a certain period of time.
Mekanic
That's why I use BOTH spin balancing and Centramatic wheel balancers.
As you said the weights are good for 100% of the balance at first and as time goes on the Centramatics keep the tires balanced until they're worn out, or have aged out, (even if/when they partially/temporarily caked with mud).
BTW, I had valve stem leak trouble the 1st, and only, time I used beads.
Mel
'96 Safari
Old 07-09-2014, 07:41 PM   #27

Based on 25 years experience as a fleet maintenance manager (1450 tires on the ground) In desinding order of effectiveness:
Best, "correctly" spin balanced (both static and dynamic)
Next, beads / equal
Next. rings
Last, don't balance and shake your rig to pieces.
Old 07-09-2014, 09:06 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
Mekanic
That's why I use BOTH spin balancing and Centramatic wheel balancers.
Interesting that you use both. My Mercury balancers state to not put weights on the tires. There is plenty of balancing counterweight to handle any tire balance issues unless the tire is defective.

BTY: I originally had Goodyears on the coach when I bought it. The tires were wearing with the Goodyear ripple, even though they had weights on them. Over time, the Mercury balancers corrected the ripple.

Tags
class a