Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
View Poll Results: Do you keep or want a full-width mudflap on your Class A?
NO: removed it, or never had it & don't want it, or gonna take it off ASAP 45 30.20%
YES: have it, or want/ordering one 99 66.44%
SORTA: have a different option such as the "grass skirt" - see comments 5 3.36%
Voters: 149. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-24-2017, 07:34 AM   #71

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Spartan Chassis
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripe34 View Post
Please vote in this poll if you *have* or _had_ a full-width "mudflap" aka "adflap" on your rig...

I see a lot of discussion on this, and am very curious as to the actual % who keep them vs. the # that remove them.

Thanks!!
Yes, ours is still attached. I wanted it and had to fight to get it. Between the time the dealer took photos of our RV to post on their website and when we bought it, someone removed it. The dealer said that they would order one for us, but didn't. I called the manufacturer to see when it would arrive and was told there was no order. I called the manufacturer's rep we'd met when buying our RV and asked him to intervene. He did and it arrived in a few days. I attached it myself because we live hundreds of miles from the dealer.
harrierncd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-24-2017, 07:47 AM   #72

Monaco Owners Club
Yes, had one on our Beaver and Safari...liked them.
Old 09-24-2017, 10:01 AM   #73

Took mine off our 2015 Journey 40R. It kicked up sand and rocks onto the toad. Hangs too low and is too stiff, heavy, and solid to be an effective flap.
Roy Somers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 11:58 AM   #74

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Please vote in this poll if you *have* or _had_ a full-width "mudflap" aka "adflap" on your rig...

I see a lot of discussion on this, and am very curious as to the actual % who keep them vs. the # that remove them.

Thanks!!
Can't reply to the poll because I never had a flat on my used class A. But I have towed my car over 10,000 miles without a problem.
hohokam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 01:05 PM   #75

Tiffin Owners Club
We had a link removed from our chain... too late for the bottom rubber not to wear off. We now use a bungee to the it to the ladder when backing in on a slope... newbie lesson. No chips so far with it on.
fresno63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 01:13 PM   #76

Alpine Owners Club
Removed for our steep driveway.

On gravel roads in Alaska I have seen class a's with side mounted radiators bounce rocks past the fan blades and into the radiator causing a hole.
Gary Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 01:36 PM   #77

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hohokam View Post
Can't reply to the poll because I never had a flat on my used class A. But I have towed my car over 10,000 miles without a problem.
Guess I should have worded the Qs a bit better. If you don't have a flap and WOULDN'T keep it on, I'd vote no...
Stripe34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 02:06 PM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceisla View Post
OK ... but my question was whether anyone had a full-width, removed it, tried it, and put it back.

Also noted the person that added one was driving a gasser and didn't mention whether they had wheel flaps.

Now wondering whether gas or diesel has any effect (overhang and profile at rear).

Not surprisingly, given the huge variations in RVs, what works for one may not work for another.

I do have individual wheel flaps on the - but I have a 36 foot coach on a 22K Ford chassis - meaning I have a ton of overhang. The rear also beavertails up quite a bit. The rear is very high off the ground, so I bought a 12" rock guard and it hangs about 6 inches off the ground. My scenerio is definitely unique in comparison to most DP's that have really low rear ends. For reference, the end of my coach is so high I need a 10" drop hitch to pull my toad. I hope it doesn't kick more rocks up as other are saying! I already need a new windshield on the toad from towing without the guard...
RickySpanish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 02:07 PM   #79

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:

Thanks!!
I use Tapatalk to see the messages anf am guessing that the poll function is not available there.
hohokam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 04:56 PM   #80

Initially the factory full-width flap was installed incorrectly... one side came loose after ~4,000 miles. No noticable Stone chips on toad during that time. The flap was stored in the basement for about 1,500 miles until it could be repaired and installed properly. During that time the toad suffered 2 significant stone chips & some minor dings. That was a deciding factor in the choice to reinstall it (where it has traveled ever since). 52,000 miles total.
As relates to a previous post re cooling and/or fuel consumption - ”... fuel consumption improved by at least 4 mpg since [removing flap].” Very Skeptical!!
Flyin4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 05:00 PM   #81

Quote:

Thanks!!
I'm using the app on an Android device, please give me a hint how to cast a vote in this poll.
Flyin4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 05:45 PM   #82

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyin4Fun View Post
I'm using the app on an Android device, please give me a hint how to cast a vote in this poll.
I asked our illustrious admins:

"When viewing the post, click on the three vertical dots (top right on my phone).

Select Web View and the web page appears and I was able to vote."

HTH!
Stripe34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 01:13 PM   #83

Purchased our 2001 Georgie Boy - The Suite 25' long, from fellow who had a full width deflector installed, and we just kept it on. Does not seem to drag or effect the mileage any, but not sure about the mileage part. I keep it there since if believe that it may help folks with cars that follow us keep their windshields intact.
Bob.C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 02:36 PM   #84

Fleetwood Owners Club
I have had mine on my 2006 AC Tradition since purchasing it in 2011. Wouldn't leave home without it as it helps protect the toad!
Longweekends is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a