Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
View Poll Results: What is your opinion about DIESEL tuners?
I have a tuner and am as happy as can be 13 25.49%
I have a tuner and it doesn't do what it's supposed to 1 1.96%
I had a tuner, and removed it....not happy 1 1.96%
I've heard they are great 1 1.96%
I've heard they are not good for our diesel engines 11 21.57%
I have no clue, but would sure like to see what users say 24 47.06%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-02-2014, 11:49 AM   #29

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike brez View Post
What do you sell for diesel performance?

This photo is a great example of someones diesel performance tuning that is doing nothing but wasting fuel and the owners hard earned money That smoke does not make HP........ it is simpley "un-burnt" fuel...........got to be good for that engine....... let alone our breathing air..........
Black smoke is high in carbon or soot, which is an undesirable product of diesel combustion

Diesel Smoke tells YOU a Story…

Add on: Nothing in the poll for me, When asking a Cummins tech(A friend) about Cummins turning my engine up........very little HP/torque gain, untill we get into the fuel pump/turbo upgrades $$$$$, he asked how it ran, I said great, he said , leave it alone, unless you have some extra cash you need to get rid of.........Then he asked why I didn't just get a Coach with the motor/HP I desired???? Always next time.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-02-2014, 10:28 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccrob View Post
There is only one way to get more power out of a Diesel engine GIVE IT MORE FUEL. The engine companies have teams of engineers and thousand of hours of testing to deliver a product that will perform and give thousands of miles of survive. So some guy with a computer comes up with a way to juice up your engine the result is higher engine temps both water oil and trans and shorter component life. If you want more power get a bigger engine
This is typical of posts from those that know it all...but wait, let's analyze it.

If you want more performance/torque from a tuner, and give it more fuel WHEN you need to, and spend $10 more per hill climb, then what he said is true.

The alternative ("...get a bigger engine") is another way to climb hills easier, with the caveat that you'll spend an up-front bump of $25,000 or so on top of spending more money per trip because of reduced MPG for every mile you drive.

Old 12-02-2014, 10:53 PM   #31

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mccrob View Post
There is only one way to get more power out of a Diesel engine GIVE IT MORE FUEL. The engine companies have teams of engineers and thousand of hours of testing to deliver a product that will perform and give thousands of miles of survive. So some guy with a computer comes up with a way to juice up your engine the result is higher engine temps both water oil and trans and shorter component life. If you want more power get a bigger engine
Not always true, they now are changing the "timing" and duration of the injection phase. This can result in less fuel being used and more HP/torque being produced. It also results in no more or even less black smoke.
Our rig with the ISC and Banks passses the smog check everytime with no trouble.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 01:09 PM   #32

Freightliner Owners Club
I've had the Banks Power Pack and IQ for four years. Can't imagine my ISB without system. All power improvement claims are valid. I really haven't seen much of a fuel savings in the Economy mode but the increased torque in the 3 to 5 power settings is amazing.

2007 ISB 300 hp w Allison 3000 MH
Old 12-03-2014, 01:28 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeeyaarv View Post
I've had the Banks Power Pack and IQ for four years. Can't imagine my ISB without system. All power improvement claims are valid. I really haven't seen much of a fuel savings in the Economy mode but the increased torque in the 3 to 5 power settings is amazing.

2007 ISB 300 hp w Allison 3000 MH
Yes you have an advantage with the Allison 3000 it allows full advertised power.

Mine is cut back due to the Allison 2000 but still does an amazing job at 10K over weight.

Ted.
Old 12-03-2014, 05:38 PM   #34
RVM #74

Tiffin Owners Club
POLL for Diesel TUNERS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Not always true, they now are changing the "timing" and duration of the injection phase. This can result in less fuel being used and more HP/torque being produced. It also results in no more or even less black smoke.

I don't mean to put you on the spot, but can you show me some technical information that explains exactly how this can produce greater economy? I know how it can in a gas motor, but not in a diesel.
Old 12-03-2014, 06:01 PM   #35

I have one of the last 7.3's built with an 80 hp econo flash. It would just chirp a tire from a dead start when new. With the tuner, I can do burnouts. Mpg went from about 18 mpg to 20 mpg on the open road. The truck runs from 60 mph to 80 mph in 4 seconds flat--pretty impressive and scary ride in such a heavy vehicle.

I attribute the increase in fuel mileage to the automatic transmission tune that came with the engine tune. Mine shifts 1-2-3-converter lockup-4th.

Tuners are better suited on the older, low tech, low horsepower diesels. The newer DEF engines putting out 800 ft. pounds really don't require tuners. Manufacturers know when tuners have been put on trucks, and they can cancel warranties that are much needed.

Tuned diesels need to have a set of gauges to monitor engine and transmission temperatures when towing. They also need transmission coolers installed, like a B&M or TruCool unit--only $150.

Hopped up diesel trucks need to be maintained to perfection. So much power can be dangerous in 7000 pound vehicles. Tires, shocks, tie rod ends, ball joints and brakes need kept up to like new condition.
Old 12-03-2014, 09:02 PM   #36
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
For those that posted that a tuner is of no value and detrimental to your engine, you're showing your lack of knowledge on the subject.

"bamaboy473".... There are some tuners available, but your issue is the Allison 2500. There just isn't much you can do to it.

In my previous coach, I had an ISL 400 with the Allison 3000. It weighed 32K and ran great with a ton of power. Like some, I was looking for more. I eventually bought the DIGIcr through Parley's Diesel after waiting a year for several other Monaco owners to report back on how it worked on their coach. Everyone who installed the unit on the ISL loved it. Dyno testing showed that it added 52 HP to the 400 ISL. What I liked about the unit was that it reverted back to stock under WOT, preventing damage to the engine. Mine was a rear radiator. I also changed out the power robbing engine fan for one made by Source Engineering. It didn't give me any more HP, it just took less to turn the fan.

After installing the tuner, my coach ran like a striped ape. I found that it gave me a smoother/wider power band. There wasn't a grade out west that I couldn't pull at 55 mph towing my 4 door Silverado.

Fast forward to my new coach with the 450 ISL and I'm embarrassed on the same grades, trying to hold 45-50 mph.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 09:24 AM   #37

Anyone know what the hp and torque limits for the Allison mh2100 and mh2500 are?
Old 12-04-2014, 09:30 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by psw757 View Post
Anyone know what the hp and torque limits for the Allison mh2100 and mh2500 are?
I think I found the answer, both the 2100 and 2500 series are good for 340 hp and 700 ft lbs. I think the newer ISb engine starts at 300 hp and 660 ftlb.

Doesn't seem like there is enough room to get any real increase.
Old 12-04-2014, 09:32 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by PushedAround View Post
I don't mean to put you on the spot, but can you show me some technical information that explains exactly how this can produce greater economy? I know how it can in a gas motor, but not in a diesel.
Manufacturers have to meet emission standards typically 7 years ahead of current production.

NOX emissions is easily reduced by retarding injection timing at the expense of economy and efficiency.

NOX is also knocked down with EGR which dirties the combustion process.

If economy was our only concern we could see 50% increase over current numbers

Engine designs are all about Clean tail pipe even if it kills economy.

Advancing the timing a bit helps torque and improves economy but hurts emissions.

We as consumers are not bound by the same laws as manufacturers.

Ted.
Old 12-04-2014, 09:34 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by psw757 View Post
I think I found the answer, both the 2100 and 2500 series are good for 340 hp and 700 ft lbs. I think the newer ISb engine starts at 300 hp and 660 ftlb.

Doesn't seem like there is enough room to get any real increase.
those are Peak numbers we can add 120 ft. lbs under the curve.
Old 12-04-2014, 03:07 PM   #41

I love my TS 6 position chip. I would never own a tuner.
1998 36ft Country Coach Magna #5499
Gillig chassis with a Detroit series 40
2002 F250 CC 7.3 PSD
mike brez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 03:13 PM   #42

CRTV works great on #9, ISL is nice and crispy now.

Tags
diesel