Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
View Poll Results: What is your opinion about DIESEL tuners?
I have a tuner and am as happy as can be 13 25.49%
I have a tuner and it doesn't do what it's supposed to 1 1.96%
I had a tuner, and removed it....not happy 1 1.96%
I've heard they are great 1 1.96%
I've heard they are not good for our diesel engines 11 21.57%
I have no clue, but would sure like to see what users say 24 47.06%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-30-2014, 07:19 PM   #1

POLL for Diesel TUNERS

I'd like to have more ummph from my 300HP Cummins when climbing small mountains here in the east, and a tuner seems like a good way to get it, but are those of you that have them happy with the decision and performance?

Does a tuner that offers 100HP and 200ft/lbs of torque give a lot of bang for the buck?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-30-2014, 09:40 PM   #2

The real problem you need to know about tuners. Yes they are GREAT but. Yep there is always a BUT. If you are using the Allison Transmission, you will in due time destroy your transmission as they do not handle the extra power and torque.
GregOk80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 09:45 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregOk80 View Post
The real problem you need to know about tuners. Yes they are GREAT but. Yep there is always a BUT. If you are using the Allison Transmission, you will in due time destroy your transmission as they do not handle the extra power and torque.
Could be correct or totally wrong info just depending on the tuner!
We have a Banks system (which is no longer available). Banks engineers worked with both Cummins and Allison engineers so as NOT to overstress and break anything.
On ours it added 150 ft lbs and 75+ hp and it definitely is noticeable!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 07:57 AM   #4

well, Heck, very few replies although a lot of views. Given that our objectives would be to increase torque over HP, am I asking too much with an Allison 2500?
Old 12-01-2014, 08:21 AM   #5

Tuners can be good if used properly. Changing tune to achieve max power WILL shorten the life of what in most cases should be a million mile engine. You most likely void the warranty on your engine/transmission if a tuner is installed. One of the first things done in many dealerships is to check that the factory tune is still programmed in the case of catastrophic drivetrain failure. I cringe every time some fool in a diesel pickup rolls past me with black smoke rolling from the exhaust as I know what harm is being done.
hoakken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 09:46 AM   #6

Given that most of our units log less than 10,000 miles per year, and most units are far out of factory warranty, that would be all the more reason to install one (no negative repercussions from a warranty perspective).

Anybody latch one onto a Cummins 300ISL?
Old 12-01-2014, 10:01 AM   #7

Note to those that voted about hearing that tuners can hurt diesels; that can be true. Mostly, pickup trucks that want to get tire-smokin' performance are the source of that legend...and it is true.

I've had 3 Ford Excursions with 7.3L Powerstroke and added tuners to two of them. Over 200K miles and never a problem with engine or tranny, but my tune was always set on pulling torque for hauling my boats.

I see a MH as needing a similar type of tune; pulling and climbing torque over massive HP gains for stronger red-line.
Old 12-01-2014, 10:09 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaboy473 View Post
well, Heck, very few replies although a lot of views. Given that our objectives would be to increase torque over HP, am I asking too much with an Allison 2500?
I though about one for my ISB. First off, knowing how a diesel motor works, just adding a tuner kit will not improve mileage, only power (regardless of what ANYONE swears to). Secondly, my ISB puts out about as much power stock as the Allison MT2500 is rated for, so for me it's not worth risking the trans for the extra oomph that a kit will provide.
Old 12-01-2014, 10:56 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by PushedAround View Post
, my ISB puts out about as much power stock as the Allison MT2500 is rated for, so for me it's not worth risking the trans for the extra oomph that a kit will provide.

Larry, what HP engine are you running with the 2500 tranny? While I have zero interest in more MPG, I have a lot of interest in not straining at 35MPH in 3rd gear going up a 6% grade into Asheville.

My hope is that a tuner would reduce the amount of downshifts and the number of high RPM cycles in lower gears...maybe reducing R&M costs.

At a price of $2000 retail (available around $1600), a tuner needs to provide me with a lot more grins and a lot fewer downshifts, hence my questions.
Old 12-01-2014, 10:58 AM   #10

P.S. here's a link to 5.9L Cummins/Allison tuner test results:

http://assets.bankspower.com.s3.amaz...ins/index.html
Old 12-01-2014, 11:19 AM   #11

The key word to adding a tuner is "sanity". A mild tuner used sanely can be of great benefit with very little negative effects. A radical tuner driven carelessly will be catastrophic.
Old 12-01-2014, 11:22 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by HicksRA View Post
The key word to adding a tuner is "sanity". A mild tuner used sanely can be of great benefit with very little negative effects. A radical tuner driven carelessly will be catastrophic.
Agreed, and I wish the poll would have asked those that use them to post the brand and type of tuner.

Nice to see that those that have them are 100% happy with them.
Old 12-01-2014, 11:42 AM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Rick, I have a 6.7L 2010 ISB motor with 340hp and 660 ft/lbs of torque. I have only driven on the East Coast, but even in the hills of upstate PA & NY I have not had a problem maintaining 50 mph in 4th gear. I pull a 3,000 pound toad and am about 31,500 GCVW.
Old 12-01-2014, 11:52 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaboy473 View Post
I'd like to have more ummph from my 300HP Cummins when climbing small mountains here in the east, and a tuner seems like a good way to get it, but are those of you that have them happy with the decision and performance?

Does a tuner that offers 100HP and 200ft/lbs of torque give a lot of bang for the buck?
I have been in the Diesel Performance business for over 20 years, if there is any 1 safe way to improve performance on your Cummins 300 with Allison 2000 trans it is the Banks IQ Diesel tuner.

The Gauge array and safety monitoring is second to none.

I put mine on economy level 2 and tow a 12,000 LB race car trailer behind my FRED with the same engine and trans.

I have tried the higher levels of power but find I really don't need it other than navigating tight windy huge hills.

The system monitors all engine an transmission parameters to keep everything in safe levels and you can see it back off the power when it should.

I don't see it ever hurting anything.

I get 10 MPG pulling my wife's Denali and 8 pulling the Race car trailer.

I am satisfied.

Ted.

Tags
diesel