Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
View Poll Results: What is your opinion about DIESEL tuners?
I have a tuner and am as happy as can be 13 25.49%
I have a tuner and it doesn't do what it's supposed to 1 1.96%
I had a tuner, and removed it....not happy 1 1.96%
I've heard they are great 1 1.96%
I've heard they are not good for our diesel engines 11 21.57%
I have no clue, but would sure like to see what users say 24 47.06%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-01-2014, 02:40 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by GULFSTREAM37 View Post
I have been in the Diesel Performance business for over 20 years, if there is any 1 safe way to improve performance on your Cummins 300 with Allison 2000 trans it is the Banks IQ Diesel tuner.

The Gauge array and safety monitoring is second to none.

I put mine on economy level 2 and tow a 12,000 LB race car trailer behind my FRED with the same engine and trans.

I am satisfied.

Ted.

Thanks, Ted. The people at Banks suggested the PowerPack. Do you know the differences between the two systems? Your 10 MPG is outstanding, and I thought I was happy with 9.6 in OEM mode and no toad.

EDIT: since posting, I called Banks and was told that the difference between the two systems was that the IQ can change power levels on the fly, while PowerPack is pre-set. Both have the de-tune feature if tranny temps get too high, so that's the safety feature.

IQ is $450 more expensive and (according to the Banks guy) would be beneficial if traveling a lot of different grades or pulling different weights of trailers.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-01-2014, 02:43 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaboy473 View Post
Thanks, Ted. The people at Banks suggested the PowerPack. Do you know the differences between the two systems? Your 10 MPG is outstanding, and I thought I was happy with 9.6 in OEM mode and no toad.
It is one in the same.

Banks Power | 03-07 Cummins - ISB-CR 5.9L>>PowerPack® System

Part number with IQ 63755

Mine is an 07 Fred Cummins 5.9 300 hp 600 tq allison 2000 trans.
Old 12-01-2014, 03:14 PM   #17

What do you sell for diesel performance?

mike brez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 04:36 PM   #18

Photoshop? Fix that blunt ending on the cloud...
Old 12-02-2014, 01:40 AM   #19

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
I have been in the Diesel Performance business for over 20 years, if there is any 1 safe way to improve performance on your Cummins 300 with Allison 2000 trans it is the Banks IQ Diesel tuner.

The Gauge array and safety monitoring is second to none.

I put mine on economy level 2 and tow a 12,000 LB race car trailer behind my FRED with the same engine and trans.

I have tried the higher levels of power but find I really don't need it other than navigating tight windy huge hills.

The system monitors all engine an transmission parameters to keep everything in safe levels and you can see it back off the power when it should.

I don't see it ever hurting anything.

I get 10 MPG pulling my wife's Denali and 8 pulling the Race car trailer.

I am satisfied.

Ted.
Ted, do you know if Banks makes an IQ for a 2002 ISP 275HP Cummins?
Old 12-02-2014, 06:39 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike brez View Post
What do you sell for diesel performance?
All the major companies parts.

I own the largest speed shop in the northeast for over 28 years and we do it all gas and diesel performance.

Old school hot rods to modern muscle.

Ted.
Old 12-02-2014, 06:42 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by draboo View Post
Ted, do you know if Banks makes an IQ for a 2002 ISP 275HP Cummins?
I am sorry they don't they start with 2003 Common rail Cummins.

We do offer other products to boost performance but we have to keep the transmission in mind at all times.

I believe the Edge EZ will plug right in and give you 3 power levels up to 65 hp and 180 lb torque.

Products | Edge Products

It may take some investigation of the connectors on your engine to verify if this will work or not.

There used to be a company called Van Aaken that we sold thousands of units that did plug right in on both the Dodge pickups and Motorhomes because it plugged directly in to the injection pump but they went belly up years ago.

The Edge does the same thing but through different ports in the harness.
Old 12-02-2014, 07:12 AM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
I am sorry they don't they start with 2003 Common rail Cummins.

We do offer other products to boost performance but we have to keep the transmission in mind at all times.

I believe the Edge EZ will plug right in and give you 3 power levels up to 65 hp and 180 lb torque.

Products | Edge Products

It may take some investigation of the connectors on your engine to verify if this will work or not.

There used to be a company called Van Aaken that we sold thousands of units that did plug right in on both the Dodge pickups and Motorhomes because it plugged directly in to the injection pump but they went belly up years ago.

The Edge does the same thing but through different ports in the harness.
This discussion has me wondering. My coach seems to be doing fine on 6% grades here on the west coast. But I am never opposed to better fuel mileage at a reasonable cost. Is it possible to modify the engine in my rig? I have the DEF system. That alone allowed Cummins to boost the power by 20hp. If done, will the warranty be voided?

Thanks for your great input from your years of experience.

Rick Y
Old 12-02-2014, 08:37 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerichorick View Post
This discussion has me wondering. My coach seems to be doing fine on 6% grades here on the west coast. But I am never opposed to better fuel mileage at a reasonable cost. Is it possible to modify the engine in my rig? I have the DEF system. That alone allowed Cummins to boost the power by 20hp. If done, will the warranty be voided?

Thanks for your great input from your years of experience.

Rick Y
If you do your power upgrades through Cummins they come with a warranty.

Any aftermarket performance upgrade will jeopardize your factory warranty.

Ted.
Old 12-02-2014, 08:47 AM   #24

Quote:
All the major companies parts.

I own the largest speed shop in the northeast for over 28 years and we do it all gas and diesel performance.

Old school hot rods to modern muscle.

Ted.

Jannetty?
Old 12-02-2014, 08:49 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike brez View Post
Jannetty?
Yes sir.
Old 12-02-2014, 09:29 AM   #26

There is only one way to get more power out of a Diesel engine GIVE IT MORE FUEL. The engine companies have teams of engineers and thousand of hours of testing to deliver a product that will perform and give thousands of miles of survive. So some guy with a computer comes up with a way to juice up your engine the result is higher engine temps both water oil and trans and shorter component life. If you want more power get a bigger engine
mccrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 09:59 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccrob View Post
There is only one way to get more power out of a Diesel engine GIVE IT MORE FUEL. The engine companies have teams of engineers and thousand of hours of testing to deliver a product that will perform and give thousands of miles of survive. So some guy with a computer comes up with a way to juice up your engine the result is higher engine temps both water oil and trans and shorter component life. If you want more power get a bigger engine
Some engines are de tuned because of what the tranny can take.
Old 12-02-2014, 10:32 AM   #28

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mccrob View Post
Not Necessarily True ! Been watching this Thread off and on. A couple of scenarios come into play for more Power-(When you Need it).
The earlier Engines that are all Mechanical are much easier to turn up and still maintain margins for long engine life such as mine. I have the TST 150hp plate kit in my 6CT8.3 mated to an Allison MD3060, and installed it back in 2001 with 52,000 miles on it. today I have 196,000 and my Oil analysis comes back near perfect once a year. Never a Temp issue unless I'm climbing a good 6% grade for long periods- not to often, other than that I drive the speed limits and maintain 7 mpg with a 10,000 lb race trailer hanging on the back.

2nd scenario- New style engines require updated power adders with new technology to be programmed into the systems. If I had the newer style engine and wanted more power I'd have Cummins or Cat install the additional power in the software and be done, that may or may not provide you with the power you want but there are limitations.
Lets face it if you drive the speed limit and don't drag race from red lights and on ramps, you only need more power for the Hills.
NHRA225 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel