Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 08-14-2013, 02:05 AM   #15
Thanks everyone!

Thanks for your insights! I tried to tally up the reasons given so far. I tried to consolidate similar answers. I did not weight the responses, just incremented each reason mentioned (multiple responses counted in each category):

More Space: 6
Upgrade to Diesel/More Power: 5
Floorplan: 3
Ride: 2
New(er): 2
Chassis: 1
Stairs: 1
Setup Time: 1
Had desire and money: 1

Remodeled: 1

So far, #1 reason is more space, followed closely by diesel power or more diesel power. No one's mentioned downsizing.

I read with interest in an old thread on the Newmar Ventana where one member mentioned downsizing from a 40' DSDP to a 34' Ventana, but their current signature shows 2012 40' DSDP again. If you downsized and upsized again, please tell us!

davidahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-14-2013, 02:55 AM   #16
Winnebago Owners Club
Went from a truck and travel trailer to a new to me DP. Reason: I couldn't tow a boat and the travel trailer at the same time or a vintage car on a trailer and the TT at the same time.

2005 Winnebago Journey 39K, 350HP C-7 Cat
Toad: Flat deck car trailer hauling a 1932 ford tudor sedan
Deucenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 03:35 AM   #17
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Upgraded form a 2003 Itasca Suncruiser 33V to a 2014 Sunstar 35F. Wanted newer chassis and newer MH. Would have loved to have gone DP but opted for gasser.
Retired Navy Submariner
2014 Itasca Sunstar 35F; 5 Star tuned; 2014 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk
SuperGewl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 05:37 AM   #18
Monaco Owners Club
Often, lifestyle changes. Ours was perfect for vacations and weekend events. Now, we like the lifestyle and I'm retired so we would like more room. Haven't decide to make do with a remodel or bite the bullet on a larger one.
Jim and Jennie, Cats=Bittles and Potter, 2000 Dynasty 350 ISC
2013 Silverado 4x4 Towed with R1200GS in bed.
PROV23:4 Do not wear yourself out to get rich; have the wisdom to show restraint.
Coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 07:52 AM   #19
We just upgraded from a 1996 Itasca Suncruiser 37RW to a 2005 Fleetwood Southwind 37C. Went from 1 to 3 slides to get space for our son to move a wheelchair around. Also got a freestanding dinette and more storage space. So put us in the MORE SPACE category.
Ken, Judy, and the Angels--2005 Fleetwood Southwind--2008 Cargo Trailer--2003 EZGO Golf Cart
Retired and Happy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 07:58 AM   #20
Monaco Owners Club
Originally Posted by Finhawk View Post
Only because I wanted to and I could
Tony, Nancy & Abby the pooch 2011 40'Monaco Knight PDQ Maxxforce 10 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
AGP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 09:42 AM   #21
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Started with a 2007 Jayco Seneca (36' class C). Two years later upgraded to a 2004 Fleetwood Excursion 39S (better floor plan/ more room for kids/towing capacity). Two years later upgraded to a 2013 Fleetwood Discovery 40G (better floorplan/bunkhouse/storage/performance). I've heard people say you should buy your 2nd or 3rd motorhome first and I believe them! We have no plans to change again until the kids are in college and don't want to vacation with us anymore.
2013 Fleetwood Discovery 40G / 2012 GMC Acadia
Craigls2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 11:54 AM   #22
Upgraded from a 32 ft. 99 gas class A to a 37 ft. 2006 DP in April 2012. Felt too big, so in December 2012 downsized to a 2013 28 ft. Gas class A. Felt too small, so last week traded for a 2014 34 ft. Gas class A(Winnebago Sightseer 33C.) Feels just right!
Paulc47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 03:01 PM   #23
Originally Posted by bailiff View Post
In April, this year, we traded our 04 FR Sandpiper and 07 DRW Ford on a 2000 Newmar Mountain Aire 4092 DP. Reason #1. DW's knees were feeling the pain of climbing the 4 steps into the fiver then 4 more into the bed/bath area.
#2. Setup time.

We owed nothing before and nothing now.
It was apparently a good trade. DW is happy and we have had no issues.
Same reasoning for us, only it was my knees and hips. It counts even more today, I had another heart surgery last Friday.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert theConstitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 03:28 PM   #24
Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Originally Posted by davidahn View Post
As I've browsed the forums, I've come across a pattern: many people who have been RVing for a while talk about upgrading/buying new RVs, often while the old RV is just a few years old. I got curious: why are people switching RVs? So I thought I'd ask that question in the form of a poll:

Why did you upgrade to your current RV from your old RV?
1. Wanted more space
2. Wanted to downsize
3. Wanted better fuel economy
4. Wanted a better chassis
5. Wanted that new RV smell (just wanted a brand new RV)
6. Other: please specify

How many opted to remodel instead of buy a new RV, and what did you do?
1. Complete gut job and remodel
2. New cabinets
3. New furniture
4. Reupholstered existing furniture
5. Other: please specify

Thanks in advance to all those participating!

Went from a class B+ to class A DP.
Hated that screaming engine going up hills.
Wanted a little more room.
Larger shower & bed.
2016 THOR Tuscany XTE 36MQ
2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
tcopeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 03:51 PM   #25
Fleetwood Owners Club
Went from a 31 ft class c to 35 ft A. The other coach was 15 years old and we were having some problems with it. Wanted larger bathroom, bedroom, and storage. Found this used unit one day while out driving around. Was an impulsive purchase, totally surprised ourselves! We love it!!!!
Penster, Williamsburg, VA: Me, Him, and Oliver the cat
2012 Bounder 35K aka "Big Red", 2 Suzuki Savage LS650's (1 for her, 1 for him).
Penster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 04:20 PM   #26
had a 2009 Fleetwood Terra 34 ft traded for a 2007 Monaco Beaver DP what a difference the Terra was noisy both engine and road noise the Beaver is so quiet and hardly feel the road also bigger 34 vs 40 ft 2 slides vs 4 real queen size bed not a RV queen but it comes at a significant cost in maintainence and upkeep W/D etc Worth the bath I took on the Terra

jmoffat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 04:25 PM   #27
Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Our 1st MH had a MAJOR electrical fire. After 3 months of repairs we decided we would never feel safe in it again. We never brought it home from the repair facility.
Wayne & Roberta and Maggie the Miracle Dog
08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis
Making the Journey in our Destination

UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 05:41 PM   #28
Winnebago Owners Club
We had a 2011 Solera. My wife has a mobility problem and had a hard time getting up on the corner bed also it was very cramped. We traded it for a Winnie Vista 26 HE lots of room and not a corner bed. More room and larger fuel tank plus larger holding tanks. hated having to use DEF in the diesel.

poppy bill is offline   Reply With Quote