Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-11-2015, 06:34 AM   #1

Pool chlorine or Bleach -Which to you use for sanitizing your fresh water tank?

I have heard both are good for sanitizing fresh water tank. Is one better than the other ?
John Stott is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-11-2015, 07:10 AM   #2

As far as home bleach ( Clorox ) is concerned get the plain one for sanitizing. The ones now that are out there come in different scents and are hard to get rid of the smell and the some of the others don't sanitize just get rid of stains. You don't need a lot to sanitize just a couple of table spoons and let set for a day or so. It's all about contact time.
Old 05-11-2015, 07:27 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Stott View Post
I have heard both are good for sanitizing fresh water tank. Is one better than the other ?
John Stott
I've sanitized my fresh water system and tank twice, (once in '01 when my coach was new to me, and again in 2011).
I used unscented Clorox bleach both times.
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 08:00 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to TurtleKent
Both are the same chemical, sodium hypochlorite. For the pool it can be as much as 10%, while Clorox used to be 5.25%, I believe 6% now, but doesn't specify on the bottle. I prefer the unscented. You will use so little just sanitize with whatever the DW buys.
Old 05-11-2015, 08:01 AM   #5

I use only hydrogen peroxide as it does a great job, no after taste, no smell and dissipates withing 24 hours. 250 ml in 80 gallons.
Old 05-11-2015, 08:16 AM   #6

John
X2 what TurtleKent wrote.
Old 05-11-2015, 08:28 AM   #7

x3 on TurtleKent plus with bleach you only have one bottle of potentially damaging chemical to keep track of *and it is her job to do it*. ;-))
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 08:33 AM   #8

As mentioned, they are the same (except for the concentration level).

I use Clorox in my pool from time to time, to supplement the salt water chlorine generator.
head gamez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 08:49 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Liquid bleach (sodium hypochlorite) is generally found at about 6% available chlorine (Clorox). Powder or tablet bleach typically used for pools (Calcium Hypochlorite) typically is about 70% available chlorine.
No reason you couldn't use either but considering you will only be treating a rather small RV tank and system, liquid bleach is more than strong enough to disinfect holding tank. Plus, calcium hypo is a inhalation hazard and not worth the extra trouble or expense.
Stick with unscented liquid bleach as mentioned in above post or consider using hydrogen peroxide. I like the idea of hydrogen peroxide but have always used bleach since I can get a gallon at dollar store for about a buck.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 05-11-2015, 10:29 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Why do you have to sanitize the fresh water tank? Kay
austx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 10:40 AM   #11

Rexhall Owners Group
I use pool chlorine as I have a pool and chlorine on hand. Use about a teaspoon. Pour it into the end of the fill hose, hook it up to the spigot and fill.
JohnInAz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 10:42 AM   #12

We sanitize for two reasons.

Most water has a minimum level of impurities. If the unit sits a long time (months) it is possible for microbes to find enough dirt to grow on with a possible bad result.

When we winterize we use antifreeze that can lend a musty taste to the water. Running a light bleach solution through the system clears out the residue after draining and flushing.

I think you will find most of us do the same thing. Add the appropriate amount of bleach to the water fill. Put the HW plug back if winterized then run the faucets to clear the lines. After that use the water normally. IF worried about drinking water take a couple of jugs. The concentration will not be too high to use while the soak time will be more than the 4 hour recommended minimum. Adding more water as needed will further reduce the concentration back to the level already in your water source.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 10:51 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnInAz View Post
I use pool chlorine as I have a pool and chlorine on hand. Use about a teaspoon. Pour it into the end of the fill hose, hook it up to the spigot and fill.
That is the way I have been doing it for years.
2003 34FDDS Alpine Banks 430hp #74869
Viola, Idaho 3rd Armored Cav & 3rd Infantry Division
tiredvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 11:34 AM   #14

One minor advantage of using sodium hypochlorite over calcium hypochlorite is the resulting sodium compound is soluble in water while the calcium result precipitates out. Hardly relevant considering the small amounts involved.

Tags
fresh water, tank, water