Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-01-2015, 11:14 PM   #1

Poor choice for a purchase

Our names are Marilyn and Ken we are very new to rving. We purchase a 2014 fleetwood, 37' but after a couple months decided it wasn't big enough as we wanted to live in it.

So we traded for a 42' 2011 Winnebago Tour which we love. We were very stupid because we took the salesman's word she was a 9.5/10. As soon as I walked in the door the smell hit me I was so upset. This coach cost us all of money and now this.

The dealers as we purchased from Ontario Canada sicard said they check everything before they dropped it off to us.... Bull..... The satellite was no connective properly the motor in the toilet went within a day the front had head lights which were filed with water the Jack's didn't work properly the bathroom window seal was broken switch plates cracked floor tiles cracked bathroom sky light cracked causing massive leak in back bathroom to be full of mold. Leak in front windshield that has ruined the front console and causing so much smell.possible mold They are refusing to do anything. We even Pd extra $7000 for insurance funny how nothing is covered in that I won't continue to view your but the list goes on.

We received the rv early August we used it for two weeks is been in a garage ever since. We are both do disappointed this was our dream..... Gone :( we don't know who else to turn to if anyone or there can suggest something we woods be now then happy. Now we are stuff with this coach we can't use... Breaks my heart everytime I think of it.

Had anyone ever experienced anything line this before? And I do Apologizes if I have entered the wrong forum.
Ken

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-01-2015, 11:24 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Welcome to iRV2.

Old 01-02-2015, 12:52 AM   #3
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

Good luck with a suitable solution.
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 02:09 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth123 View Post
Our names are Marilyn and Ken we are very new to rving. We purchase a 2014 fleetwood, 37' but after a couple months decided it wasn't big enough as we wanted to live in it.

So we traded for a 42' 2011 Winnebago Tour which we love. We were very stupid because we took the salesman's word she was a 9.5/10. As soon as I walked in the door the smell hit me I was so upset. This coach cost us all of money and now this.

The dealers as we purchased from Ontario Canada sicard said they check everything before they dropped it off to us.... Bull..... The satellite was no connective properly the motor in the toilet went within a day the front had head lights which were filed with water the Jack's didn't work properly the bathroom window seal was broken switch plates cracked floor tiles cracked bathroom sky light cracked causing massive leak in back bathroom to be full of mold. Leak in front windshield that has ruined the front console and causing so much smell.possible mold They are refusing to do anything. We even Pd extra $7000 for insurance funny how nothing is covered in that I won't continue to view your but the list goes on.

We received the rv early August we used it for two weeks is been in a garage ever since. We are both do disappointed this was our dream..... Gone :( we don't know who else to turn to if anyone or there can suggest something we woods be now then happy. Now we are stuff with this coach we can't use... Breaks my heart everytime I think of it.

Had anyone ever experienced anything line this before? And I do Apologizes if I have entered the wrong forum.
Ken
I've had this happen more than once in my life with boats and motorhomes..

it's sad, but it's your job to make sure what you bought is what you think you are buy'n...
the best way is to take your hicky and move on ... that's what I do...
what ever it cost to get it out of your life is worth it...
you won't have no recourse on a used unit,,.. most make you sign that you have taken it "as is"
Old 01-02-2015, 02:20 AM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Alas, rules vary from location to location but I think you have a returnable there.

I live in a 37' class a (Well 37' 7" bath and a half, wife and I were quite comfortable.. Just so you know,,, alas she checked out in 2013 so now it is just me and two cats, but I have basically shut down a few feet of it (I use only half the main bath)
Old 01-02-2015, 03:01 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Didn't you look at the coach before you bought it? I don't understand how you payed what I assume was a very large sum of money without so much as seeing it in person. Have you tried to talk to the dealer or cancel the sale?
Old 01-02-2015, 04:07 AM   #7

Oh yes. Not quite the exact same problems, otherwise, problems are all we've had. They started immediately too, just like yours did. We bought a Gulf Stream Sun Voyager Bus in September this year. They hadn't had our money a full 24 hours before they informed us that the batteries needed replaced and that we should get an oil change ASAP. (we paid cash in full, so we totally understand the money part that you are talking about). A few days later, when we took it in for the oil change, we asked them to do an inspection to make sure it was road worthy for what would probably be a mostly frigid first trip - Nebraska. We were looking forward to moving back there where our grandkids mostly live. We paid $354 for the oil change, and about $600 for the supposed inspection. Neither of us knew much about motorhomes, but felt safe (stupidly) going through an established and authorized Gulf Stream dealer. Here are just a few of the MANY problems that came next, starting with the fact that it took them over 7 weeks to get us our title, even though AZ law only allows 30 days max for dealers. Then....
1. we learned that the bus we purchased had been on their lot as a consignment - an illegal version of consignment, according to AZ law, because it still had a lien against it, and the dealer KNEW it, yet they handed the title over to the PREVIOUS owner, and just trusted him to hand them OUR title. He finally did, and we now have it and are properly licensed and registered. He just made the decision to get it to the dealer on his own time/schedule. They let him because he's a friend of the mgr (I learned), and our sales gal appeared to know him too, based on the very casual, and to her, very humorous, side conversation they were having while she was asking about the title. <<<<----- most of this occurred gradually, with our every attempt to impress upon them that we had planned on being back in NE before the worst of the frigid winter set in. We told them this the day we bought the bus, and every time we spoke with them afterwards, starting in Sept. We finally arrived in Omaha around midnight Dec. 24th. Lie, lie, lie, lie, lie is all they did at every turn, and as far as the inspection, I have a serious question for ANYONE who might have some input, even if it's to say I shouldn't have expected any of these things to be checked when paying someone to *inspect* something for an 1700-1800 mile trip into very cold weather. Should we, or should we NOT have believed at least some of these things that turned into problems been checked at that time:

1. condition of all 6 tires and the spare - ALL had to be replaced because we had a blowout barely 45 miles into the trip, in Flagstaff, AZ. We were informed that all 6 were in terrible condition, including what they call 'desert rot', where they look great in terms of tread/wear, but are virtually ruined because they sat out in the hot sun, unprotected, year after year. This was the case with the 4 outside tires. The other 2 were also ruined by this same kind of rot, but weren't the same age as the others, and in fact were so old, they didn't even have date codes. The spare was just the tire (no wheel at all), shoved up underneath, full of tears and holes.

2. The blowout damaged much of the undercarriage, a propane line, water line, some electric and 1 of the rear hydrolic leveling jacks. Possibly more. Those repairs aren't complete yet due to parts needing ordered and all of the repair shops have had waiting lists or just been extremely busy.

3. All holding takes are either cracked or otherwise split and they all leak.
4. All of the interior windows are covered, and have valances, that were homemade (poorly) in the cheapest, tackiest fabrics, compared to the rest. I know fabrics, upholstery, and structure, but never thought of it as something I should have looked WAY more closely at from day one. The colors don't coordinate well at all with what I determined of the remaining decor to be from the manufacturer. This isn't something I think people would generally catch if they had no idea that they should be watching out for it. One of my first thoughts was that the colors were kind of ugly, but I know how to do most of what I want to change. It's just irritating that someone would go to such great lengths to try and cover up what became obvious gradually - the fact that they destroyed and neglected the thing in so many ways I can't begin to describe them all or try and list, then ran out of money or something and decided to sell, so they had to cobble together as much as they could, cosmetically, in hopes that the laundry list of repairs and replacements needed wouldn't be noticed right away or all at once. Today we noticed that almost none of the screws are the same, anywhere in the cabin and that our "sleeps 6" really means 3, because there are only 3 seat belts. The hide-a-bed is a cheap replacement from the original. Very cheap. Very awful.

5. it appears nothing has ever been done to protect the roof, unless it was done by the first, original owners. (We're #3)

6. Almost everything leaks.
7. It was dirty. "Surface clean" is what my mom would have said - just enough so that what meets the eye appears acceptable. (until you start doing your own cleaning up so you can use it the first time. Filth.
8. Minor mechanical or electrical things everywhere needing fixed. I'm not the mechanical one here, but I can count, be it time or money, and we've spent so much of both that it's sickening.

It's so bad that now that we've finally made it to NE, we have to return to Arizona for at least a couple months, just so we can get it properly winterized, take care of the roof, and have the generator checked out really well....and some other stuff.

Isn't this a nice first reply/post? Sorry folks. Thank all. Wish you better days ahead, Ken.
Old 01-02-2015, 05:22 AM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
Really??????????????????

Please tell me these stories are not real!!!
Old 01-02-2015, 05:55 AM   #9

Mid Atlantic Campers
Sorry to hear that Ken. I hope this thread and your issue is seen by other prospective buyers. People need to know money is your most important leverage. In your hands its a powerful tool to get things done . In their hands you are at a big disadvantage. I know there are things you can't see or know but smells and cracks are clear "forget this coach" signs before purchase.
I hate saying this to people I don't know but YOU need a lawyer on your side. I have found a call or a letter from an informed lawyer who can express your situation and greavence is your best option. Good Luck!��
Old 01-02-2015, 06:55 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by moodycreator View Post
Oh yes. Not quite the exact same problems, otherwise, problems are all we've had. They started immediately too, just like yours did. We bought a Gulf Stream Sun Voyager Bus in September this year. They hadn't had our money a full 24 hours before they informed us that the batteries needed replaced and that we should get an oil change ASAP. (we paid cash in full, so we totally understand the money part that you are talking about). A few days later, when we took it in for the oil change, we asked them to do an inspection to make sure it was road worthy for what would probably be a mostly frigid first trip - Nebraska. We were looking forward to moving back there where our grandkids mostly live. We paid $354 for the oil change, and about $600 for the supposed inspection. Neither of us knew much about motorhomes, but felt safe (stupidly) going through an established and authorized Gulf Stream dealer. Here are just a few of the MANY problems that came next, starting with the fact that it took them over 7 weeks to get us our title, even though AZ law only allows 30 days max for dealers. Then....
1. we learned that the bus we purchased had been on their lot as a consignment - an illegal version of consignment, according to AZ law, because it still had a lien against it, and the dealer KNEW it, yet they handed the title over to the PREVIOUS owner, and just trusted him to hand them OUR title. He finally did, and we now have it and are properly licensed and registered. He just made the decision to get it to the dealer on his own time/schedule. They let him because he's a friend of the mgr (I learned), and our sales gal appeared to know him too, based on the very casual, and to her, very humorous, side conversation they were having while she was asking about the title. <<<<----- most of this occurred gradually, with our every attempt to impress upon them that we had planned on being back in NE before the worst of the frigid winter set in. We told them this the day we bought the bus, and every time we spoke with them afterwards, starting in Sept. We finally arrived in Omaha around midnight Dec. 24th. Lie, lie, lie, lie, lie is all they did at every turn, and as far as the inspection, I have a serious question for ANYONE who might have some input, even if it's to say I shouldn't have expected any of these things to be checked when paying someone to *inspect* something for an 1700-1800 mile trip into very cold weather. Should we, or should we NOT have believed at least some of these things that turned into problems been checked at that time:

1. condition of all 6 tires and the spare - ALL had to be replaced because we had a blowout barely 45 miles into the trip, in Flagstaff, AZ. We were informed that all 6 were in terrible condition, including what they call 'desert rot', where they look great in terms of tread/wear, but are virtually ruined because they sat out in the hot sun, unprotected, year after year. This was the case with the 4 outside tires. The other 2 were also ruined by this same kind of rot, but weren't the same age as the others, and in fact were so old, they didn't even have date codes. The spare was just the tire (no wheel at all), shoved up underneath, full of tears and holes.

2. The blowout damaged much of the undercarriage, a propane line, water line, some electric and 1 of the rear hydrolic leveling jacks. Possibly more. Those repairs aren't complete yet due to parts needing ordered and all of the repair shops have had waiting lists or just been extremely busy.

3. All holding takes are either cracked or otherwise split and they all leak.
4. All of the interior windows are covered, and have valances, that were homemade (poorly) in the cheapest, tackiest fabrics, compared to the rest. I know fabrics, upholstery, and structure, but never thought of it as something I should have looked WAY more closely at from day one. The colors don't coordinate well at all with what I determined of the remaining decor to be from the manufacturer. This isn't something I think people would generally catch if they had no idea that they should be watching out for it. One of my first thoughts was that the colors were kind of ugly, but I know how to do most of what I want to change. It's just irritating that someone would go to such great lengths to try and cover up what became obvious gradually - the fact that they destroyed and neglected the thing in so many ways I can't begin to describe them all or try and list, then ran out of money or something and decided to sell, so they had to cobble together as much as they could, cosmetically, in hopes that the laundry list of repairs and replacements needed wouldn't be noticed right away or all at once. Today we noticed that almost none of the screws are the same, anywhere in the cabin and that our "sleeps 6" really means 3, because there are only 3 seat belts. The hide-a-bed is a cheap replacement from the original. Very cheap. Very awful.

5. it appears nothing has ever been done to protect the roof, unless it was done by the first, original owners. (We're #3)

6. Almost everything leaks.
7. It was dirty. "Surface clean" is what my mom would have said - just enough so that what meets the eye appears acceptable. (until you start doing your own cleaning up so you can use it the first time. Filth.
8. Minor mechanical or electrical things everywhere needing fixed. I'm not the mechanical one here, but I can count, be it time or money, and we've spent so much of both that it's sickening.

It's so bad that now that we've finally made it to NE, we have to return to Arizona for at least a couple months, just so we can get it properly winterized, take care of the roof, and have the generator checked out really well....and some other stuff.

Isn't this a nice first reply/post? Sorry folks. Thank all. Wish you better days ahead, Ken.
Just curious did you buy this at a Camping World in Arizona?
Funhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 08:47 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer Steve View Post
Sorry to hear that Ken. I hope this thread and your issue is seen by other prospective buyers. People need to know money is your most important leverage. In your hands its a powerful tool to get things done . In their hands you are at a big disadvantage. I know there are things you can't see or know but smells and cracks are clear "forget this coach" signs before purchase.
I hate saying this to people I don't know but YOU need a lawyer on your side. I have found a call or a letter from an informed lawyer who can express your situation and greavence is your best option. Good Luck!��
I agree. Get a lawyer, it's your only hope.
Old 01-02-2015, 08:47 AM   #12

the horror storys are gonna come out in this thread,...

but...here's my nevers and allways that I have learned about boats and rv's

#1.. allways make sure you know what you are buying

#2.. never pay till you get everything you are susposed to

#3.. never buy a consignment rig unless the dealer has a signed
title in hand that he will release to you right then

#4.. never finance a toy...the first option to get is the "TITLE"
the rest comes as what you can afford....

#5 mh &boats are like women...never marry them with out spending time with them first..you'll find out soon enough why the last guy got rid of them..

that being said... I just bought 3 motor homes in the last 2months, all sight
un seen...and you guess'd it... all three were bad...
2 new and one used ...:facepa lm:
Old 01-02-2015, 09:22 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Unfortunately, buying a Motorhome , even a new one,is a big gamble. And, I have been burned, as well, but, to me, the rewards are so great, it is worth it.

Get that thing passable, then decide whether to keep it. Order a new one, or just sell that one-after it is fixed- and Move On- Life is too short.
Old 01-02-2015, 09:35 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
THIS IS A GOOD LESSON TO EVERYONE

NEVER BUY AN RV SITE UNSEEN

I purchased a repo RV. Live in TN, found the RV in Florida and made special trip to inspect. I did not tell the seller ahead of time of my visiting, called him when we were ~1 hr away so he didn't have time to do much to it so I could see what it really looked like.

jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote