Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-16-2013, 04:25 PM   #29

New tires almost always feel better because you have more rubber (cushion) between the carcass and the road.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-16-2013, 09:30 PM   #30

We have a 2004 F53 chassis. Has a 22,000 lb gross weight and a 26000 gcwr. I had trouble keeping it going straight down the road. It wanted to wonder and I had to keep moving the steering wheel back and forth with white knuckles. I had it alienged and they said all the steering components were fine. I started checking myself and found that the input shaft on top of the steering gear box had a 1/4 inch of play either side of center. This was magnified in the steering wheel. I replaced the gear box and now have no problem with the steering. I can drive down the road at 70 mph and no more white knuckles.

Old 05-16-2013, 09:45 PM   #31

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by koda59 View Post
We have a 2004 F53 chassis. Has a 22,000 lb gross weight and a 26000 gcwr. I had trouble keeping it going straight down the road. It wanted to wonder and I had to keep moving the steering wheel back and forth with white knuckles. I had it alienged and they said all the steering components were fine. I started checking myself and found that the input shaft on top of the steering gear box had a 1/4 inch of play either side of center. This was magnified in the steering wheel. I replaced the gear box and now have no problem with the steering. I can drive down the road at 70 mph and no more white knuckles.
How many mile on the MH when you changed the steering box?

Chuck
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350,F53 Chassis Chassis build date 1/99, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags front & rear, Koni Shocks,Blue OX TruCenter,TigerTrak track bars front & rear, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar,2004 F450 Lariat 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW with B & W Custom Truck Bed, 1994 36 ft. Avion 5th Wheel
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 10:08 PM   #32

My 26,000 GCWR F-53, with 17K, steers fine. How many miles on yours? (Tree'd)
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 10:12 PM   #33

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninos View Post
You might want to change the bell crank, there is a after market one that they say it makes a big difference I forgot the name of the company that makes it but its the blue ones, I'm sure that someone will know what I'm talking about. Good luck. Joe
Henderson's in Grants Pass OR has them made for them. They're called "SuperSteer SS100 Bell Crank".
http://www.hendersonslineup.com/
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 12:37 AM   #34

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Dunner, my 25,500 GCWR with 55k on handles fine after the modifications I made.

Mr_D, they don't make the SuperSteer bell crank for Ford.

Chuck
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350,F53 Chassis Chassis build date 1/99, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags front & rear, Koni Shocks,Blue OX TruCenter,TigerTrak track bars front & rear, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar,2004 F450 Lariat 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW with B & W Custom Truck Bed, 1994 36 ft. Avion 5th Wheel
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 10:18 PM   #35

Took our first road trip with the new tire pressures. What a difference! Ride was way smoother and it tracks better. Does not track as good as I would like, but good enough. The amount of tire squat makes me a bit nervous so am glad I kept the pressure on the safer higher side. Will monitor temperatures and if seems OK may lower the pressure another 5 psi.

Happy days.
Old 06-03-2013, 12:00 AM   #36

I told ya...

BINGO! I'll guarantee that is the reason for your rough ride and vague steering.

Glad you got the tire pressures where they belong and your coach drives better. Isn't it amazing what a few PSI will do?

Tags
winnebago