Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-21-2010, 02:07 PM   #1

poor heat production from my Aqua hot

I beleive that I have exceeded the heating capacity of my electric heating element possibly 1650 watt.Ihave a cool tank, warm air at the vents and cool hot water.I am on a 50W power supply.The temp is 26-30F at night and 50-60F during the day.The electric element is the default I beleive.Could I turn on the deisel burner as a supplement to the AC.I have tried to adjust the water tempering valve but may have turned it the wrong way whichway would make it hotter.
I am a new newmar owner and would appreciate any input thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-21-2010, 02:25 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

At that outside temperature your primary heating is from the diesel burner in the Aqua-Hot. There is no way a single electric heater element system will gdo anything for you. It works great to take the chill off the air around 50* ambiet but that is it. Yes, it is OK to leave the electrice element turned on with the diesel burner going.

Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 02:26 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
First off, no electric element has ever been intended to supply endless heat to your coach in addition to having hot water to use also. The electric element is only supposed to be used as a supplement to the diesel burner so that possibly the diesel burner will not have to run as long or as frequent. Remember that when using the electric assist, once the 6 gallon tank or 10 gallon tank of water has been heated, it takes hours to reheat another tank full. Whereas if using the diesel burner, it will only take minutes.

Dr4Film ----- Richard.
Old 12-21-2010, 02:32 PM   #4

How can I get the deisel burner to start if it defaults to the electric.
Old 12-21-2010, 02:37 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

You are going to have to explain yourself a little better on that. My MH has a Aqua-Hot switch panel that has two switches on it. A large one for the diesel burner and a smaller one for the electric element. The Aqua hot only runs in the mode I tell it to. If you are turning on the diesel burner switch and getting the red light in the switch only on for 2-3 minutes and it then goes out it is very possible that your diesel burner is not igniting the fuel. The most common cause of that is not changing the fuel nozzle on a regular basis.
Old 12-21-2010, 02:37 PM   #6
a k

Newmar Owners Club
Turn on the switch that says DIESEL BURNER
Old 12-21-2010, 03:14 PM   #7

Ihave two switches on my panel Aqua hot and Aqua block heater There is no ac element switch.this is a newmar london aire 2000 panel.I have tried turning it off then on but no response.Is there a direct test from the electrical panel on the heater
Old 12-21-2010, 03:33 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Are there any labels for those two switches? Are they both the same size or is one bigger than the other?
Old 12-21-2010, 05:02 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Just read up on your system. It appears that the electric heater element is hard wired to 120 v so anytime you have 120 volts applied to the MH it is on and heating the water. That one switch is for turning on the diesel burner. So if your wall thermostats have furnace selected and that one Aqua Hot switch is on then the diesel burner should be operating.

If you turn the diesel burner switch off for about 15 seconds and then turn it back on do you get an indicator light on the switch? Does it stay on or does it go off after 30-60 seconds?

I don't know what model you have but it is probably very close to this one here. Go to Section 5 for troubleshooting
http://www.aquahot.com/eSource/ecom/...anual05-02.pdf
Old 12-21-2010, 07:02 PM   #10

Commercial Member

You probably have an Aqua-Hot model 941/12 in your coach. You can verify that by checking the data plate on the outside of the heater.

If there is no switch inside the coach for the electric element, then the only way to turn it off is to turn off the circuit breaker in the A/C panel. Every coach manufacturer labels it a little differently. May be called Aqua-Hot, hot water heater, or something like that. Should be 20-amp circuit breaker.

If you turn on the diesel portion of your Aqua-Hot, then the diesel will start when the electric element will not keep up. The reason that nothing happens when you switch on the diesel is that the electric element has heated the coolant inside of your Aqua-Hot to operating temperature. If you turn on the interior heat with diesel switch on, when the electric element will not keep up, the diesel burner will start.

- Roger Berke -
Moderator - HydronicRVHeating : Hydronic-RV-Heating
Old 12-22-2010, 08:11 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
On the London Aire, try looking for the switches above the driver or passenger chairs. They should be labeled for the diesel burner and and electical element. You might want to post this in the Newmar forum.
2015 GMC Seirra
Iron Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 11:25 AM   #12

I Would to like thank youall for your input and the prompt response my burner has restartedand I will continue to monitor and trouble shoot it.It may have sensed alow voltage andnot reset itself or the problem is intermittent.. Thank you all again
Old 12-22-2010, 11:32 AM   #13

I Would to like thank youall for your input and the prompt response my burner has restartedand I will continue to monitor and trouble shoot it.It may have sensed alow voltage andnot reset itself or the problem is intermittent.. Thank you all again