Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-28-2017, 09:05 AM   #1

Porch light will not turn off

Have a 2008 Discovery and the porch light will not turn off when I turn the switch off. I verified the switch is working properly. Is there any other switches which control this feature on the motor home or is there other issues with the system?
Capcap is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-28-2017, 09:34 AM   #2

You said you verified that the switch is working.....does that mean you pulled the switch out and used a meter to see if it a closed state and an open state and if you did that you have to wires in open air, not touching and the light was still on?

WDK
WillandJane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 09:40 AM   #3

Sounds like the switch is not working properly.
Old 09-28-2017, 03:11 PM   #4

I found an additional switch for mine that was with the aisle light switch in the entry stair well.
Phoelix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 05:09 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoelix View Post
I found an additional switch for mine that was with the aisle light switch in the entry stair well.

Can you tell me the exact area of this switch?
Old 09-28-2017, 05:14 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillandJane View Post
You said you verified that the switch is working.....does that mean you pulled the switch out and used a meter to see if it a closed state and an open state and if you did that you have to wires in open air, not touching and the light was still on?

WDK

No I did not use a meter. I unplug the porch light wires from the switch and plugged in the ceiling light wires. The switch functioned properly
Old 09-28-2017, 07:11 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capcap View Post
No I did not use a meter. I unplug the porch light wires from the switch and plugged in the ceiling light wires. The switch functioned properly

Electrically speaking, if you took that switch out and separated the wires and the light is still on then I have no clue how that can be....if something was grounding out the hot wire then a fuse should be blown. If you had another switch in the circuit for the same light, you would still have an open circuit if one switch is out and the wires separated.

WDK
WillandJane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 09:29 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Disconnect the switch output wire from the switch and see if the light remains on. If so, it is getting power from some other source, most likley another wire shorted to it.

Some high end coaches have a multiplex lighting control system driven by digital switches. I don't think the '08 Discovery has that, but it's a possibility. In those systems, the entry door open switch can trigger the porch light and/or an interior light to come on when the door is opened.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 10:47 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capcap View Post
Can you tell me the exact area of this switch?

See picture for location of porch switch is below the average vent on dash
[ATTACH]178211
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2378.JPG
Views:	60
Size:	599.4 KB
ID:	178211  
Old 09-29-2017, 12:54 PM   #10

Mine is a 1992, but as you walk into the door, there's a handrail for the 2 steps going up to the floor. Just below the handrail on the left hand side is where my switch is located... 2 rocker switches, one labeled "porch", the other "aisle".....HTH
Phoelix is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light