Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-29-2013, 10:06 PM   #1

Portable a/c

Has anyone used or run a portable unit in their MH. If there was room for duckwork i wonder how it would be as a backup system and the power draw needs
elbeau54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-29-2013, 10:39 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by elbeau54 View Post
Has anyone used or run a portable unit in their MH. If there was room for duckwork i wonder how it would be as a backup system and the power draw needs
I have done it when my main unit was broken and waiting for parts. It is doable if you are stationary. I made a clear plexy glass cover to attach the hose to for exhausting the hot air which fit in the small slideout window. It can be powered from a 15 amp circuit providing nothing else is operational on that circuit.

The unit was 12000 BTUs, the coach is 40 feet and it could barely keep up in the low 80s outside and the coach parked in the shade. However it beats having nothing.
Old 05-30-2013, 12:10 AM   #3

I ordered one on Sunday and it's on it's way right now - this is the model Whynter ARC-110WD Portable AC Unit - Free Shipping | Sylvane

It's 11000 BTU but most importantly it's a dual ducted ac - a single duct unit will not work in an RV because it sucks air out of the RV which is replaced by hot and humid outside air killing the effect of the ac.

In my single slide Newmar, we removed the couch and replaced with a chair and ottoman so the unit will be installed in the front of the slide. I am doing a semi permanent install by cutting two holes in the side of the slide with covers - the unit is one of the few I found with horizontal ducts rather than angled upwards.

As we spend a lot of the time in the desert it will get well used.
steveclv is offline   Reply With Quote