Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-08-2020, 05:31 PM   #113

Sound level is as important as air-pressure...

This thread has gotten a little testy as people defend their purchase choices!

Here's my final thoughts on the topic...

I haven't found a portable 12V airsystem that is suitable for big RV tires (like what is on Class A's), they simply don't have the capacity or pressure to complete the task in a timely manner. Also, I don't drive a diesel with and onboard air-compressor, so I needed something handy I could use to adjust the pressure in my tires for different temperatures and altitudes where we travel.

If you look at portable 120V units with 1-3 gallon tank capacity and 125lbs or higher pressure, most can be pretty noisy when running.

The reason I finally decided on the Fortress 2-gal unit from Harbor Freight is it is VERY Quiet (almost silent) and can be run in a campground whenever is needed without disturbing your neighbors. This is especially important if you are topping off your tires early in the morning or late in the evening.

Noise level was a big factor for me since even the useless 12v models can wake the dead when they are running!

TomRSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-24-2020, 05:37 PM   #114

Question regarding Viair 450P

OK, I bit the bullet and purchased the Viair 450P. The instructions say to have the motor running when in use, so the vehicle battery won't discharge.

So my question to the DP owners here is, since our DP's have more than a single battery, unlike a car or truck, do you run your DP while using the Viair or not?

Thanks in advance...
hnkbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 05:46 PM   #115

NO......
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 08:56 PM   #116

I imagine Viair simply entered the instruction to "run vehicle" during use was for user safety sake. So that people do not drop a bad or already discharged battery so low of charge it will not start the vehicle.

I have one full Viair carry bag and use it for all my vehicles... of which ... I have quite a few. For construction and general driving; as well as RV and boats for fun/pleasure/relaxation.

Been thinking of buying another complete Viair set up so less likely to leave it behind!!
Old 01-25-2020, 04:11 AM   #117
Community Moderator

Also no.
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 05:21 AM   #118

Good product.
ijon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 07:05 AM   #119

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby F View Post
"I simply don't understand this. There is no need to buy a stand alone compressor."

I like to build things, and fix things, and maintain things. My compressor runs my air nailer, my air buffer, my sander, my paint sprayer, my pressure-washing rod . . .

It tops off my bicycle and motorcycle tires when I'm boondocking far away from a gas station. It blows out my plumbing as I run back home to cold Minnesota. It blows air from an air gun to clean my roof, my storage bays, and sometimes my floor. It fills or tops up my, and my neighbors', rig tires when needed.

Perhaps your statement should properly be "For me, there is no need to buy a stand alone compressor."
This guy gets it. I am the same. We have a 8 gallon Harbor Freight made in CHINA special and it works perfect. I always carry air tools and such and it has saved our a$$ on more than one occasion. So many more things you can do with a decent air compressor other than air up tires. The only little problem I have is if the tires need air and the tank has been used some the air pressure in the tank may be around 100 PSI which is not enough to air up a tire. All I have to do is bleed down the tank some and when the compressor kicks on hook up to a tire. It is loud but I have a port hole in the bottom of the storage and I can close the door and it's barely heard. It does take up some room but we have plenty.

I would say if you have no other intended purpose other than airing up a tire, space is a limitation, and ya got a few hundred bucks burning a hole in your pocket then by all means buy Viair.
BigLar368 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 08:20 AM   #120

Viair

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM Art View Post
I imagine Viair simply entered the instruction to "run vehicle" during use was for user safety sake. So that people do not drop a bad or already discharged battery so low of charge it will not start the vehicle.

I have one full Viair carry bag and use it for all my vehicles... of which ... I have quite a few. For construction and general driving; as well as RV and boats for fun/pleasure/relaxation.

Been thinking of buying another complete Viair set up so less likely to leave it behind!!

They recommend running the engine because of amp drop from the batteries.
AndyT1183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 09:02 AM   #121

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyT1183 View Post
They recommend running the engine because of amp drop from the batteries.
OH - Guess I never closely enough read all the included diatribe of info supplied with Viair packet. Us Americans - Plug n' Chug!

As I mentioned that I only imagined [keeping engine running] was for the reason I gave ... I can be held blameless -

Question: Does amp drop from fully charged battery [without engine running for ongoing charging purpose] actually occur to any extent during a couple to a few minutes of running the Viair to "top off" tire pressure?

And, if a discernible amp drop were to occur [lets say from a not 100% charged or an older tired battery] would such an amp drop damage the Viair compressor??

Thanks!

Art
Old 01-25-2020, 02:57 PM   #122

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnkbaker View Post
OK, I bit the bullet and purchased the Viair 450P.
So my question to the DP owners here is, since our DP's have more than a single battery, unlike a car or truck, do you run your DP while using the Viair or not?

Thanks in advance...

Couldn’t you run it off the house batteries and run the generator if necessary? (You didn’t explain you’re exact circumstances).
Running the engine defeats the purpose of having a stand alone compressor if you have air brakes.
Rob_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 03:17 PM   #123

I think y’all spend way too much time airing up your tires and too much money on air compressors. + or - 2 psi can wait till I get home and if I have a tire leaking down more than that in a week I’m looking for a nail. My onboard system works for an emergency. It’s not about the extra weight of a compressor it’s about the space, redundancy, and cost.
My daily truck uses the exact tires my DP does and weighs 30k. I put air in them every couple months at the most.
If you could witness my wife packing for a trip you’d understand my lack of extra space lol.
Rob_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 03:25 PM   #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_M View Post
I think y’all spend way too much time airing up your tires and too much money on air compressors. + or - 2 psi can wait till I get home and if I have a tire leaking down more than that in a week I’m looking for a nail. My onboard system works for an emergency. It’s not about the extra weight of a compressor it’s about the space, redundancy, and cost.
My daily truck uses the exact tires my DP does and weighs 30k. I put air in them every couple months at the most.
If you could witness my wife packing for a trip you’d understand my lack of extra space lol.
Amen to that, if I had to air my tires that often (less than every 5-6months) I think I'd be finding out why.
Old 01-25-2020, 04:58 PM   #125

IMO the main things about air pressure in tires:

1. Make sure you are inflating tires to "the" correct pressure

2. Make sure you constantly check that "the" pressure is maintained

3. If pressure alters figure out why and of course bring back to correct pressure before any travel

Some people either have factory OEM automatic tire pressure indicator gauges or aftermarket automatic pressure indicators they installed. That is all well and good as long as said automatic pressure indicators do not unexpedly fail or give false readings.

Personally, I like to "eyeball" check tire pressures before every trip... with a good hand held pressure gauge... it takes but a minute and you actually can see and feel tire sidewall and tread condition.

In similarity, I often check all operational fluid levels. Those two items are very important for safe, unencumbered travel.

I'm old school - and - still alive!
Old 01-26-2020, 05:15 AM   #126

I added a tpms to my bus in order to see the air pressure in my tires. I have had numerous issues with tires on my previous trailers and fifth wheel. My fifth wheel had at best marginal tires and eventually I had to purchase higher rated E tires in order to have satisfactory performance. The tires on my bus are expensive. Proper pressures are paramount to safe travel and longevity. The added cost of an air compressor and tpms s nothing compared to the cost of a $1000 tire.
Prof_T is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air, compressor, tires