Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 07-12-2016, 09:48 AM   #1
Portable carry out satellite

Hi everyone!!

I have a 39' Fleetwood Excursion with in motion satellite for DirecTV. I have found that during the summer months we like to find a nice shaded spot,but then no satellite because of the trees.
I purchased a King Quest portable and I don't know how to connect it to my coach. Outside in the water hook up compartment bay there is a cable hook up along with a phone jack for park use. Can I use that coaxial connection to connect the portable satellite ?
I called the manufacture and spoke with a tech. His only response was run the coax through a door or window or drill a hole in the side. All 3 answers made no sense to me. Could someone please steer me in the right direction ?
As you can see I'm a nubie here so please be straight forward in your answers. Thank you in advance.

Mohoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-12-2016, 11:02 AM   #2
I don't have one, but all the ones I see at the campground are hooked up this way.

2005 Phaeton 40'
epj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 11:14 AM   #3

Here is the deal, the coax input in the water bay is connected to either the batwing antenna wall plate or a box of buttons, which does the same thing as the antenna wall plate. Inside the wall plate/box is an electronic switch that transfers the input coax cable or the batwing antenna cable to the TV, either directly or through the box of buttons.

The satellite signal cannot travel through that switch. So you can use the coax input in the bay for satellite input if the other end is disconnected from the wall plate/box and connected to the satellite receiver.

The best solution, though harder, is to run an additional coax cable from the bay to where the satellite receiver will be.
Dale & Mark Bruss
10 Years Full-Timing now 40' Travel Supreme
Now with a 2016 Bounder 33C
Lots of RV Information at www.dmbruss.com
Dale & Mark Bruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 11:35 AM   #4
Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Portable carry out satellite

Hi, mohoman, and Welcome! You're in a very helpful place.

Although we are Dish subscribers, I have a similar circumstance-- Winegard dome on the roof and a King Tailgater as backup.
Try using the cable input that you referred to. It may or may not work for you. When coaches are wired for cable TV at the factory they often have one or more splitters in the line so all TVs can be reached in the most cost efficient way. Therein lies the problem! A CaTV signal will pass through a splitter unimpeded, but a SaTV signal will not. If you happen to have a direct run from the input to the TV in question, it should work. If not, you may have to modify things as required. Meanwhile, cable-through-the-window will work as a temporary measure.
John & Diane, Fulltimers. RVM103 NHSO
On the road since June '12 with Lincoln, the guard cat.
2002 Dutch Star 40, Freightliner, Cat 3126, 2004 Element
JFXG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 12:47 PM   #5
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
IMHO, seems like the simplest and long term solution is to run a new coax (or two, depending on the mobile antenna requirements) from the coach to the mobile antenna.

The reason is the antenna and the satellite box have to talk to each other, and right now the box is only talking to your roof top unit. You need to run a new coax from the mobile antenna to the box, so they can talk to each other the the mobile antenna will then send the signal to your box. Only then will your box provide an output signal that is from the new antenna, through the box and go into the existing coach routing system and to all your tvs. If you do it this way, you only have to disconnect the signal from the roof to the box, and replace it with the coax from the outside mobile antenna...everything else remains the same. You could even put in a switch box so you don't have to hook and unhook.
'07 Holiday Rambler Endeavor PRQ ("Elvis"), and our 2012 CRV toad
B52Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 02:39 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Our traveling buddies also have a Fleetwood Excursion and the cable input in the bay will not work as is with the satellite. The antenna amplifier blocks the two way signal between the receiver and the satellite antenna. After he and I worked on it for hours, our ultimate solution was to run a separate coax for the satellite.
Dan & Ro with two Rescued Boston "Terrorists"
2015 Tiffin Allegro RED 38QRA
Previously '06 Itasca Sunrise 35A on a W22 Workhorse
'12 Jeep Wrangler Sport and/or '08 Honda Goldwing
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 03:06 PM   #7
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I had the same problem when I purchased my carry out. Though some research I found I could add a pair of diplexers to solve the problem.
Click image for larger version

Name:	diplexer_diagram 2.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	143.9 KB
ID:	132837

Name:   diplexer.jpg
Views: 501
Size:  18.3 KB
Make sure to turn off the amplifier for the over the air antenna when in use.
2016 Fleetwood Southwind 34A
2009 Smart For Two
coyotesfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 04:45 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Try the cable connection and see if it works. The one on our previous coach worked fine.

If it does not work, the problem is as folks have described and best then to run another cable. A new cable does not have to run from where the current cable connection is located, rather it can be anywhere convenient to rear the satellite receiver.

A simple A/B switch can be used at the receiver to select from the roof or portable antenna.
Vince and Susan
2011 Tiffin Phaeton 40QTH (Cummins ISC/Freightliner)
Flat towing a modified 2005 Jeep (Rubicon Wrangler)
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 06:23 PM   #9
The cable for park connection can be used if you dedicate it for satellite, I.e., disconnect from the BOMB and connect to the satellite receiver.

I ran a new cable from the A/V cabinet over the driver seat to the engine compartment by following the factory cabling for the coach.
2005 Newmar Kountry Star 3742 - Gas
ACME Eze Tow Dolly
2008 Chevy Malibu Toad
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 08:49 PM   #10
Monaco Owners Club
The cable input in my water bay on my old coach worked fine with my satellite. My "newer" coach has been modified with a new cable. The cable input is still in the water bay but the new cable was run into the electrical bay (under drivers seat). I had to trace a whole slew of cables to locate where each terminated/originated. The only thing the previous owner didn't do was drill a hole in the bottom of that bay to run the external satellite dish cable. I guess he just left the bay door open and ran it out there. I've got a Winegard Traveler on the roof and another portable as needed. I only use the portable when my signal is blocked and while parked at home under cover.
tinstar 1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 09:27 PM   #11
Monaco Owners Club
Just installed the King Tailgater this week. Just decided to go this route than to try and figure out what was put in 18 years ago !! The DISH tech delivered the new King VQ4500 and 2 receivers. We temporarily hooked up the front tv to make sure it would work. Now to find a way to route the new cable. I ended up running the cable for the front tv up across the ceiling air duct which runs from back to front...that was easy.. Then through a ceiling light, audio speaker and to the front overhead tv cabinet. The King was easy to setup and activate. The installer gave me ample amounts of dual coaxial cable and fittings. Each receiver has to have its own uninterrupted cable back to the Tailgater. I will just have a connection point in the main basement bay that connects the Tailgater cables to the in house cables. Good luck in your decision !

Chuck and Robbin Harrison....plus 2 PB and a G Pyrenees Max,Zenie and Smokie ! 1998 38' Monaco Dynasty Duke with a 8.3 Cummins. Everyday truck is a 2010 F150 XLT 4x4 and 2016 Ford Escape. TOAD is 2004 VW Bug Conv.
Migkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 09:32 PM   #12
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I just run a cable from the portable dish to the receiver. I run the cable between the slide and seal so I don't have to have an open window.

Jon & Sue Francis (Retired U.S.A.F.)
Lil Girl-Rescued, Abby Rescued, Peaches Rescued
06 Allegro 35TSA Workhorse Chassis
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 09:58 PM   #13
The King Quest uses a power injector that sends power to the dome, so it needs a direct connection from it.

I found the inside end of the park cable connector, pulled it off the batwing booster and ran it to the power injector. Then to the satellite reciever. I hook the dome to the outside connector.

I don't use the bat wing antenna or park cable, since I have DirecTV.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 07:05 AM   #14
If you try the cable connection be sure the router is set to cable.

2005 Phaeton 40'
epj is offline   Reply With Quote