Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 12-01-2012, 12:32 PM   #1
Portable dash solar unit question

I am wondering if these units provide enough juice to keep the battery topped when the motorhome is sitting? I think you plug them into an outlet on the dash.

I have a pusher that has 2 12 volt starting batteries.

bigdomino is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-01-2012, 05:28 PM   #2
iRV2 No Limits Club
There are a number of factors. Conventional lead acid batteries self discharge over time (AGM not as much). Parasitic loads will likely be greater than the ability of the solar panel to counter. A solar panel inside is losing some light through the glass and will not catch much direct sun at best.
With out knowing what your current load is and what the panel will actually produce there is no definite answer. A sufficiently large externally mounted panel can work well.

Shadowcatche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 09:36 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I think I posted this on another thread. I saw an ad in last years Motorhome magazine. A portable solar panel with carrying case. 80-100 watts. Ot costs around 700, comes with a carrying case and charge controller.
40 FT--330HP CAT
2 SLIDES-TOAD 2012 focus
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 04:52 AM   #4
iRV2 No Limits Club
Good grief our 180W panel and Morningstar MPPT controller cost less than $600, and I paid too much. A 120W Evergreen panel on Ebay for $140 and a Morning star Sunsaver PMW controller for $53, both are good brand names.
Shadowcatche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 05:30 AM   #5
Tiffin Owners Club
I've used those small dash panels on my old-old motorhome and they were fine in Florida over the winter however I put them on the roof (I think I just tied them quickly to the A/C) and I think I might have had 1 for the chassis and 1 for the house battery (I think those things are under 2W peak). I just used speaker wire or something like that (all I had) to make the cables longer). Test it out with a volt meter but I think I tried it and lost significant power having it on the dash.

I think if you have any load at all on the battery, those won't be able to keep up but it should keep batteries with no load charged up.

I have a 100W panel to install on my new motorhome but if I don't have time to hook it up, I'll probably use the small dash ones on the roof again. I'll post my results in the spring if I do it.

I agree with the other poster. Do not buy those 'portable kits' unless you get a huge sale. I think they are probably marked up about 1000%
michelb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 06:10 AM   #6
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
hi...'04 Swind 32 here with 1 12v V10 batt., 2 6v coach batt., and the small (5-10watt...?) AC mounted factory solar keeps BOTH battery topped off with batt. disconnects to " off " position while sitting in St. Pete, FL. Just hooked up 20watt solar to V10, 12v batt. and I am watching to see how it does.

The above post with dash unit on roof was probably a good example. There is a BIG difference in the output of the dash models...go with the posted biggest 'watts'.

Heidi & Geno, St. Pete, FL
'04 Fltwood Southwind 32v, V10, 94 Honda Scooter
"Sammi-Jo" the dog & "kity-kitty's" 3
geno-heidi is offline   Reply With Quote