Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-10-2012, 04:03 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Portable EMS between extension cord SAFE?

We are getting ready to purchase a Progressive Industries

Item Name: 50amp Portable EMS
Item Number: EMS-PT50C
Complete protection plus surge protector unit.

Before we do this I wondered if some of you guys can tell me if keeping the EMS in the bay and placing it between the power cord to the coach and an extension cord to the pole is a safe practice?

I read a post that suggested this practice. Didn't see anyone agree or disagree, but before we choose this over an installed version, just wanted a few more opinions. The poster noted that this allows you to move the unit to your next coach and you don't have to worry about theft from the pole if it's locked in the bay.

Thanks you guys.

Pawnotes aka Dave n Carla
Jack n Kelly the ESS furkids
00 Monaco Diplomat 38A

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-10-2012, 04:24 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I did mine that way but didn't use an extension cord in the traditional sense. I bought a 4' piece of power cord ( 4 wire #6 ) and put plugs on both ends. I think that is better than adding 30 ' of extra cord as in a full extension cord.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3688533730.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	411.9 KB
ID:	24647

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 05:18 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
be careful about leaving your shore power cord neatly coiled up while drawing a lot of current through it. it can act like an inductor and get VERY hot. the pic is due to an extension cord that the PO left coiled up on the carpet while running a high-draw device.

Old 08-10-2012, 05:20 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If you do not want to use the EMS-PT50C, I'll pay the postage fro you to ship it to me. I won't charge you to use it.

Ken
Old 08-10-2012, 05:36 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I have done it that way for 2 yrs and it has worked fine for me. I agree with the poster above, don't coil the cord, lay it out.
Old 08-10-2012, 06:00 PM   #6
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by W4MBG
be careful about leaving your shore power cord neatly coiled up while drawing a lot of current through it. it can act like an inductor and get VERY hot. the pic is due to an extension cord that the PO left coiled up on the carpet while running a high-draw device.
I think you may be confusing an extension cord for a power cord. My power cord is coiled in the basement compartment and never gets hot. The mfg (Fleetwood ) designed it that way. My Winnebago was the same.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 06:17 PM   #7

Additional wire in your shore line is a bad idea. Causes voltage drops. Like Cliff did, cut the shore power cord (50A cord) a couple feet from the coach. Add a 50A male plug on the motorhome side. On the other cut end of the cord, add a 50A female plug. Then you can plug in the EMS device in-line, without adding any cable. If it ever fails, you can simply take it out, and plug the cord back together again.
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 07:57 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by W4MBG View Post

WoW That's what I was thinking. I knew there was something about having high power cords coiled, just couldn't get the brain in gear Getting old I guess. Thanks! I think we will order the installed version
Old 08-10-2012, 07:58 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
If you do not want to use the EMS-PT50C, I'll pay the postage fro you to ship it to me. I won't charge you to use it.

Ken
too funny
Old 08-10-2012, 08:02 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pusherman View Post
Additional wire in your shore line is a bad idea. Causes voltage drops. Like Cliff did, cut the shore power cord (50A cord) a couple feet from the coach. Add a 50A male plug on the motorhome side. On the other cut end of the cord, add a 50A female plug. Then you can plug in the EMS device in-line, without adding any cable. If it ever fails, you can simply take it out, and plug the cord back together again.
That sounds reasonable sure saves buying another one down the road. OK, changing mind again I'm a girl, I can do that
Old 08-11-2012, 10:57 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
yes, i know the burn was caused by an extension cord. the PO had used the cord many times with the same load and it never got hot, but this was the first time he had left the extra cord coiled on the reel. the same physics works with a shore power cord, but hopefully the larger wire size will offset the heat gain. on the other hand, the shore power cord can be used to carry more current in the first place. so, for my peace of mind, i always pull out the whole cable and toss it under the rv.
Old 08-11-2012, 11:13 AM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pusherman View Post
I did exactly the same thing some time back...Nice knowing my expensive protection device is safely locked inside the bay and still portable if I trade/sell the rig.

j
jackrobinryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 09:01 PM   #13

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by W4MBG View Post

True story: I pulled around 5-10 amps off a 20 amp (12ga) cord that was coiled, that's not even "high current" and it was uncomfortablly hot when I was done.. NOTE: not dangerous (yet) but a bunch warmer than I liked.

DO NOT coil the cord.

Better plan.. Get a 50 amp plug and a 50 amp female outlet end (if you can if not a box and outlet)

Put your Inlet where it goes and figgure out where you need to chop off the cord to plug into the Power Guard (NOTE: EMS is always INSIDE the RV, never in line, it is not an inline device Power guards and Autoformers, those are in-line) There is no such thing as a "Portable EMS") Though there are power line monitors. EMS = Enegry Management, Power Line Monitor or Power Guard is what you have)

Leave at least 1 foot extra cord and cut.

Apply plug and socket to the proper ends.

The 1 foot extra is not enough to coil and it is enough.. If you ever have to replace the plug.
Old 08-11-2012, 09:23 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifftall View Post
I think you may be confusing an extension cord for a power cord. My power cord is coiled in the basement compartment and never gets hot. The mfg (Fleetwood ) designed it that way. My Winnebago was the same.
Ditto - I pull out only the corded needed to reach - have checked it after a/c running, not even warm to the touch. But using a regular extension cord even stretched out is very warm to touch.

Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is online now   Reply With Quote