Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-25-2010, 05:49 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Portable generator

Well my batteries are dead and I'm upset! could someone please recommend a small gas generator that I could use to run a charger on my batteries? I'ts going to be 6 below tonight and I don't want my batteries to freeze!

Bugzme is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-25-2010, 05:59 PM   #2

Don't know where you are, but the little Honda 1,000 generators aren't too expensive and they are easy to carry around later.

Other than that, Lowes or Home Depot might be open today until maybe 5 PM. This being a holiday...

AZgl1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 06:06 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Any port in a storm. Get the cheapest generator you can find. The big box stores may have something. I hope you are on PT so you still have time to do this.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 06:16 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I have a service coming to jump start me right now. Want to buy a generator tomorrow. Do those 1 to 2k gens work good?
Old 11-25-2010, 09:09 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugzme View Post
I have a service coming to jump start me right now. Want to buy a generator tomorrow. Do those 1 to 2k gens work good?
The Honda 1K and 2K work excellent and are easier to carry than most generators. They sip fuel and are very quiet. They are expensive though. I have the EU2000 and love it but it may not run electric plug in heaters AND the RV converter at the same time so keep that in mind. They will not run A/C units either. You may want to see how many amps your charger puts out. You may need to charge them quite a few hours a day to keep them up if you use your furnace fan. If you use your propane furnace you can run the generator most of the time with your RV plugged into it. The EU2000 ($995.00) will do the job and will run about 10 hours before needing a fuel fill. Some people even add a boat fuel tank to the generator to allow several days of constant generator use. There are lots of links to this online.
Old 11-25-2010, 09:32 PM   #6

If your alternator is working, it will charge the batteries if you let the engine run long enough. That would be a more economical fix. If it isn't working, a generator is not going to help fix that problem.
Old 11-26-2010, 12:42 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Bugzme,
Your engine may or may not charge your house batteries. It depends on how your coach is wired. If you coach has a B.I.R.D. (Bi-Directional Relay Delay) device then the coach batteries will be charged after the chassis batteries get to almost full charge (this is from only the engine alternator). If you are not able to secure shore power, having a small generator as a standby, may be the best choice.

When connected to shore power, the B.I.R.D. works in reverse from above. The coach batteries will be charged first. Once they get up to the cutoff for the B.I.R.D. then the coach and chassis batteries will be charged.

All this means is your batteries must be good enough to get to the cut off point for the B.I.R.D. so it will cut in the other set of batteries. If the batteries are poor or bad, the B.I.R.D. will not allow the other set to be charged. Then one usually spends several days trying to determine why both sets of batteries are not being charged. Don't ask me how I know this.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 11:18 AM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Honda 1000 can run a converter up to (I think) 60 or 65 amps, these are quite, and sip (And I do mean SIP) gas. They are not all that expensive but as with all Inverter generators.. They are "Top end"

Yahama EF1200i.. Can put out a bit more power.. Say 70-80 amp converter (NOTE: You do not use the 12 volt jack on the generators.. You use the 120 volt outlet and use the rig's converter)

Other things that apply are the same as the honda.

A Genrac 1000 will (in my personal experience) run a Progressive Dynamics 9180 with charge wizard.. I know,,, I did it, with batteries that were D*E*A*D*! Dead.. (basically not enough power to light a lamp) Will run most if not all of 8 hours on a tank of gas

This generator is about the equal to the Honda EU-2000i or Yahama EF-2400i when it comes to weight, fuel consumption and noise.

If I ever find mine again I'm going to cut the legs off it at the jail cell.

I would recommend either the Genrac 1000 or the Yahama EF-1200i unless you have a converter less than 65 amps. then the smaller Honda 1000 is ok.. NOTE: with the Yahama.. Try before you buy please to make sure it can put out the full 1,000 watts an 80 amp converter needs.
Old 11-27-2010, 03:22 PM   #9

What ever happened?
Old 11-28-2010, 06:53 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
I bought a honda 1000 watt and it works great. Thanks for all the good advice.