Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 12-11-2015, 01:57 PM   #15
I am very portable; walk down to the CG office, give them about $2, and get an instantaneous refill of the ice bin. Got a couple of regular old style ice trays too.

We had never used the ice maker in our freezer, and when I winterized I made sure there was no water in the lines from the factory or dealer prep. After what it took to get the back panel off the fridge to get to the solenoid line that feeds the ice maker, I made the decision it will never be used. I disconnected the line between the valve and the solenoid and just got some compressoion fitting caps to put on the valve to make sure that it does not somehow leak and on the solenoid feed fitting to keep dirt out.

2015 Tiffin Allegro 31SA, 24k chassis
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Betr2Trvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-11-2015, 02:03 PM   #16
Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
$99 Igloo from Sam's Club gets the job done for the four of us. We buy extra along the way when we need it, but seldom do.

2000 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40PBD
Freghtliner XC, CAT 3126B

2000 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40PBD
Freightliner XC, CAT 3126B
slowmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 12:57 PM   #17
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Originally Posted by 98Dynasty View Post
I have had good luck with Magic Chef.
I am very happy to read that.. There is this young lady I know.. Yes, I like her but she is NOT girlfriend material (Logistic reasons) we work together and are friends however.

Well she's been struggling lugging a 10 year old Dell laptop back and forth to the store we both volunteer at so on Black Friday I snagged a nice new Windows 10 HP machine for her.

She gave me her ice maker. It's making ice now.. A Magic Chef.
Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 06:55 AM   #18
We have a Igloo that I bought at K-Mart that works well. I have found that if left outside it will collect small insects and dirt so make sure you check out the water tank. I also fill it about 1/2 full of water and then dump ice in the water tank and then fill with water. The colder water makes bigger ice cubes.
Mody n Domy
full timing it
Mody n Domy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 08:34 AM   #19
Fleetwood Owners Club
I had 2 different makes and they only made a soft Ice that melted real fast in a drink and watered it down.

They worked OK for putting the ice in a small 6 pk cooler with can drinks. If the cans were pre cooled.
If you went fishing for a couple hours or so

I replaced them with a freestanding Ice maker that was mounted under the kitchen table and is feed water from the refrigerator Ice maker water line. I had removed the one in the refrig long time ago to make room for food.

And it makes hard ice(better for drinks) and keeps it hard after made. It will outlast 2-3 of the portable ones. And doesn't need water holding bins cleaned like the portable ones do.
99 Discovery 34Q ISB
2014 MKS AWD EcoBoost Toad
Fulltime Since "99"
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 09:08 AM   #20
Onboard icemaker failed, threw it out. Love the extra freezer space. Got an Igloo portable and an Igloo water cooler. Dump the ice into the cooler whenever I think of it. Plenty of ice, plenty of cold water.
3126B Cat pushing 38' Harney Renegade. 2000 Civic toad. Retired submarine captain, 36 years Navy. Homeport is Black Hills SD.
rpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 11:13 AM   #21

Carried a portable icemaker in three motorhomes. I recently installed a household refrigerator and it makes a lot of ice so I don't need to haul the portable icemaker any more.

Bob, Sandi & Marmaduke the Big Pug
SW OREGON 2004 Journey 39K, 330 Cat
If towing: a 2006 Mini Cooper or 1995 Wrangler
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote