Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-30-2011, 04:54 PM   #1

Question Portable Tire Inflator

I would like to add a portable tire inflator to the RV for emergency purposes. I have a 35 ft Itasca. I would like something that would allow me to inflate a flat RV tire or top off a tire. I don't see many of these online and the few that say RV are very expensive.

Please let me know your experiences and any recommendations for a portable tire inflator.

Thanks
Joe
jondrejik is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-30-2011, 05:47 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jondrejik View Post
I would like to add a portable tire inflator to the RV for emergency purposes. I have a 35 ft Itasca. I would like something that would allow me to inflate a flat RV tire or top off a tire. I don't see many of these online and the few that say RV are very expensive.

Please let me know your experiences and any recommendations for a portable tire inflator.

Thanks
Joe
I just purchased a nice compressor from Sears. It has 150 psi capabilities, is light in weight and small in size. If you purchase this unit make sure you follow the 15 minute break-in procedure.

Craftsman 1.5 Gallon Portable Air Compressor with Hose and 8PC 15309#
bob109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 09:41 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
I presently have 4 compressors and the (sears) one in the link above is far and away the best of the lot. It stores easily in one of the bays and has enough "oomph" to bring my pressure up to 125 in a fairly short time. Also has some handy attachments along with regulator and tank is easy to bleed off.
Barlow46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 10:01 PM   #4
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
x3 for the Sears Craftsman AC. We got ours about 6 years ago & paid $85 on sale. Works great, stows easily.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 10:25 PM   #5
KIX

Quote:
Originally Posted by jondrejik View Post
I would like to add a portable tire inflator to the RV for emergency purposes.
Joe
By "portable" I am assuming you mean that it will operate by using your 12 volt battery and not your generator? If a 12 volt air compressor is what you are looking for be prepared to spend way more than $150 to be able to top off tires at near 100 psi in a reasonable time period.

You can do the same job with a 120 volt air compressor for much less. You'll just need to start your generator or connect to shore power. And, for occasional use I suggest a tankless compressor to save space.
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 10:15 AM   #6

Bob109, is the 15 minute break-in explained in the booklet that I imagine comes with the compressor? Thanks, HarveyP

Cummins/Allison
HarveyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 10:59 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
I just replaced my Sears 12v, because forgot about the duty cycle (my bad). Small, worked well, auto shut off at set pressure and had lights. Not the fastest from 0 to 125 but it would do it. On sale less tha $40.00 delivered to the house, large stores will have them on the shelf. I had used the old one thru 2 toy haulers and the motorhome. It worked for me gpscotty
gpscotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 08:29 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarveyP View Post
Bob109, is the 15 minute break-in explained in the booklet that I imagine comes with the compressor? Thanks, HarveyP
The 15 minute break-in procedure is spelled out in the instruction manual which comes with the compressor. The info is not in the beginning of the instructions and could be easily overlooked before starting the unit. They are simple..... open the tank air drain valve with your fingers and start the compressor. You don't want to build any pressure for the first 15 minutes the compressor runs. This allows the piston to properly seat while not under load.

As has been mentioned, this is a great unit for a reasonable price
bob109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 05:21 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLOVNIT View Post
x3 for the Sears Craftsman AC. We got ours about 6 years ago & paid $85 on sale. Works great, stows easily.

Lori-
Santa brought me the Sears unit for Christmas.

Easy to break-in , run and stow.
FormerBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 06:09 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Well I overlooked the break in on this unit and did not do it. I've been using the unit for about a year. It is just GREAT. I hope I did not do it much harm to it (by not doing the break in) but I guess I'd only know if it was next to someones unit that did the break in the correct way.

Pat
patmsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 07:18 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by patmsp View Post
Well I overlooked the break in on this unit and did not do it. I've been using the unit for about a year. It is just GREAT. I hope I did not do it much harm to it (by not doing the break in) but I guess I'd only know if it was next to someones unit that did the break in the correct way.

Pat
Don't feel like the Lone Ranger....me also and I always read the book. Guess I better start reading it twice. Seems like they would do that during the quality control test but wishful thinking on my part. Mine is doing well also.
Barlow46 is offline   Reply With Quote