Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-01-2013, 09:27 PM   #1

portable washing and drying clothes

Hello Everyone

Thank you all who responded to our question regarding GPS. We have now got one.

Now we need help with another question. We have purchased a motorhome and unfortunately it does not have a washer/drier. We are thinking about getting one of those small portable washers such as the Ezywash as seen in Campingworld or another one is the Panda. Also a small portable spin drier. We would love to know what experiences and suggestions you would recommend. How do our fellow RVers clean there clothes?

Thank you in advance

Andrew
Brits on the road is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-01-2013, 10:02 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
I have a 1997 36' Dolphin Motor Home, my wife wanted the extra dresser drawers in stead of the Washer and Dryer.
She said that when we travel for any length of time that we can use the wash room at any of the various R.V.Parks where we stay at.
Just a thought.
Walter5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 06:04 AM   #3

Check out the small Harier at WalMart Online.

Ed
Ed-Sommers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 06:23 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brits on the road View Post
Hello Everyone

Thank you all who responded to our question regarding GPS. We have now got one.

Now we need help with another question. We have purchased a motorhome and unfortunately it does not have a washer/drier. We are thinking about getting one of those small portable washers such as the Ezywash as seen in Campingworld or another one is the Panda. Also a small portable spin drier. We would love to know what experiences and suggestions you would recommend. How do our fellow RVers clean there clothes?

Thank you in advance

Andrew
Andrew, we have purchased one of those as well but have only used it once.
For us it is not a convenience thing but rather an allergy to the chemical perfumes that are in most laundry detergents and fabric softeners. If everyone would use unscented detergent our lives would be so much easier!
For drying clothes we purchased one of those racks that mounts on the rear ladder and it works really well.
Some people consider it a waste of space but our next motorhome will definitely have the washer dryer combo!
Maritimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 07:21 AM   #5

Folks I know that have them say the clothes the 2 of you have on is a full load. Takes many hours to do what can be done in the camp laundry in 90 minutes.
Then there is the expense you never recover and the loss of space and the extra weight.
The large units get pretty good reviews.
Just sayin....
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 07:36 AM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Hubby and I do our laundry once a week in whatever campground we happen to be in. Since we boondock most of the time, we make it a point to pull into a campground for the one night a week and use all the facilities while we are there - larger showers, laundry, empty sewer, fill water, use the swimming pool, etc. I too prefer the extra space to the "convenience" of having a washer/dryer in the unit.
Old 01-02-2013, 07:52 AM   #7

We have a Splendide combo...seldom use it...takes too long...loads are small...prefer the speed & efficiency of commercial laundry where you can use three W/D at a time and be done in an hour!
Jack1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 08:26 AM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
When we ordered our rolling mansion we considered a washer/dryer combo.. This is what we decided.

Given the anticipated life of the unit, and the cost of the Laundromat in most RV parks, it was right about a break even deal.. So more storage space was very inviting.

Given the small size of the RV washer/dryers, V/S the larger capacity of the park machines.. See the comment about more storage space and make it even MORE attractive.

Though I am considering a small hand powered (Like one of those ball jobs) for ultra small loads (Socks, underware) fact is they won't do bed sheets at all.

We opted for storage space.
Old 01-02-2013, 09:02 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Have to agree that Splendide load size is small and dry time long - but there are times when it's vey convenient. Whether it's a clean up job after a spill or wet clothes from being caught in rain, or just got a little fish guts on ya and don't want to smell up the wet bay - and then there's those occasional Bates Motel laundry facilities. Can ya live without it. Yep - easy - so it's a nice to have - not a must have for sure. That said, in considering purchase of another Motorhome - I think we would opt for it again. I think when we go full time it might give us a little more freedom by not letting laundry day push us around. I have let the calendar, due dates and chores push me around long enough. Any extra freedom I can get is high value for us. For a DP with good CCCC it doesn't weigh that much - but it does take up space. No doubt about it.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:44 AM   #10

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brits on the road View Post
Hello Everyone

How do our fellow RVers clean there clothes?

Thank you in advance

Andrew
We do small loads frequently in the Splendide W/D.

If we skip a few days creating a larger volume, or need to do bigger items like throw rugs or sheets, a trip to the campground machines is the solution.

Least likely is a commercial self laundry.

The W/D onboard is a nice to have item that we have enjoyed. It is tucked and plumbed in its own compartment so is not intrusive.

If we did not have the unit, we would just have to carry more stuff to fill the space, not move stuff from one location to there.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 11:01 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Have had one of the combination Splendide w/d and it did a good job but the loads were fairly small. The dw took out the clothes after the wash cycle and shake out in order to help dry.

Now we have separate units and love them. Larger loads, faster drying plus we can wash another load while one is drying. Put clothes in, set timers and forget. Switch loads from washer to dryer at our convenience.

Would not purchase a motor home without a washer/dryer setup now.

burfurd
Old 01-02-2013, 11:57 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We have a Splendide 71xxx ventless and it works great. Quiet. Fast enough for two people for sure. Don't like the using commercial units. Just quirky I guess. I know who used my machine. Like I know who slept in my bed last night.
2003 Newmar Kountry Star 3905, Freightliner XC chassis with CAT 330. Winnie the black lab, pretty Airbus captain wife, retired airline pilot with 11 grandkids. UH-1 pilot (Huey) U.S. Army 1967-1983. RVN 68-69. Northern Idaho my summer home.
calhyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 04:54 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
I have the separate washer & dryer and this works well for us, handles a pretty good size load. I wouldn't go back to not having them. After years of scrounging for quarters for machines, watching the elastic in underwear get ruined by the high heat commercial dryers, having my clothes ruined in a washer that someone dyed clothes in before me, and hauling heavy laundry baskets - I am done with using laudromats in any form or fashion.
Melmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 05:18 PM   #14

I have the EZ wash by Base Camp and The Laundry Alternative spin dryer. I love both of them. You do have to manually fill the washer and also when rinsing but thats no problem. The spinner works great also. I use these then either hang clothes to dry or walk to the dryers in the park. I usually hang to dry unless its something heavy like jeans. I havent regretted getting either one.
solo granny is offline   Reply With Quote