Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-10-2017, 08:24 AM   #15

We don't fit in most NP's but one that we did fit was Trailer Village in the Grand Canyon NP. We had a pull thru that fit coach & car. I would guess it was 70' or so.
twojayhawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-10-2017, 09:32 AM   #16

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelbones View Post
I was hoping to hear from some big rig owners that have actually stayed inside national parks. I read a lot and get a lot of information about it and I understand that each Park will vary. However my question is in regards to those parks that do allow big rigs what has been your experience? We total out at about 59 feet total. That includes our 36-foot motorhome plank a flatbed car hauler. Are there any national parks that would allow our situation? If so which ones? If not have any of you detached a trailer so that you could pull the motor home in? If so what would you do with the trailer?

On a related note we were wondering how hard it would be with are set up to park on to BLM land or Forest Service land? I am assuming that it would be easier but then again I could be wrong about that as it may be harder to find a spot for something so big. If anyone knows that please tell me. We're going to be spending the next couple years out west meaning anywhere in the mountain and Pacific time zones so any advice from someone that pulls something as big as ours or longer would be greatly appreciated.
Talking only about national or state//county parks, the real problem is going to be the maneuverability of your rig (with flatbed trailer) including clearances due to uneven ground dips. There are many more spaces that are backin, and I think you are going to have problems trying to back you rig in given narrow roads, trees, and overhangs. For best chance, your toad should have a hitch so you can unload the car as necessary, unhook the trailer, and use the toad to position the trailer first.

You'll have much better luck sticking to commercial pull thru sites outside of the parks, and using your toad to drive in. Else, get rid of the trailer and toad that forces you to have that long flatbed trailer. You will have a hassle wherever you go inside parks.
Kiawah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 06:51 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXTiger View Post
Not a National Park but the second biggest State Park in the USA is Custer State Park in the Black Hills of South Dakota near Mt Rushmore is a great place to stay and use your toad to see the surrounding area. There are several campgrounds in the park that will accommodate your rig and if you call in advance they will try to get a place to park your trailer.
Just an FYI. Custer State Park currently is closed (12/11/2011), due to a very large fire in the park. It should be reopened in a very short time.
TXTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 08:43 PM   #18

I work for the US Forest Service. The dilemma we all have is that the older campgrounds that most federal agencies offer were designed/built many decades ago, well before today’s modern MH. Some have been redesigned but not too many. For that to change Congress will need to allocate funds for redesign and construction. You can check the online reservation system which is providing better and better information. My sense is that you will only find a few places that provide what you ask, at least for now. When I travel on my own time, we often stay outside the cool places and drive in.
jroubique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 10:06 PM   #19
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Your issue will be the flatbed trailer. Most National Parks don't have pull thru sites. I know Trailer Village at the Grand Canyon has long sites, but Yellowstone, Yosemite and Zion don't have long sites. Typically they are large enough for up to 40' and have some side space for a car, but not a trailer. Most National Parks are old with small sites.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 09:42 AM   #20

We booked a site in Yosemite for a 35' mh this past spring. We stayed at a camp ground in Oakhurst for two nights prior to moving to the Yosemite site. After driving the toad into Yosemite to check out our assigned site I quickly realized this was not an option. As others mentioned driving in without damaging something would be a challenge and once in the site sloped severely toward the river. We opted to stay outside the park and drive the toad in. PS: Yosemite is amazing and worth any inconvenience you might incur.
MoCoTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 11:38 AM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
You should flat tow a toad, ditch the trailer. Buy a cheap used toad that you can tow 4 down and your travels will be significantly easier. Worth the investment, imo. Cheers
alpha99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 12:43 PM   #22

Big Bend limits motorhomes to 40' in the full hookup parking lot. My Palazzo is 37 and we barely fit.
lo-tek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 12:14 AM   #23

I haven't stayed there, but I was recently looking into Pinnacles NP and I think their sites are typically 75' long (recreation.gov is down at the moment).

Cell coverage looks pretty marginal.
Old 12-13-2017, 08:38 AM   #24

We used to be 73' long with our 43' coach and 30' (including tongue) enclosed trailer. Most National parks would have been tough if not impossible to maneuver in. However, we have found State parks that had sites longer. Last month we were at Sand Hollow State Park near ST George, UT on a 90'+ black topped site with full hookups. In your case (the OP) the best option has been suggested. Exchange the trailer for a towable toad and all of the National parks will be open to you in a 36' coach. We use the trailer when taking our offroad Jeep, but flat tow our Avalanche all other times. Being able to unhook and have the wife follow in the toad is a big advantage in places like the Zion tunnel and the Big Bend campground in Texas.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
national