Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-03-2012, 08:35 PM   #1

Rexhall Owners Group
Possible Class A DP Purchase

Hi,

I'm reposting this as this maybe the correct forum for these questions

I am looking at buying a 1990 Gulfstream Friendship on a Spartan chassis. It needs a lot of work but if the price is right it maybe worth while. It has delaminated body panels from water in all the wheel well areas. Also looking at a 1998 Rexhall Anthem unit on a Spartan chassis with disc brakes. Both units have Cummins engines and Allison transmissions. I have been reading about quality issues with the Rexhall units. Being new to the game, I don't whant to make a bad purchase and would appreciate any input on these to coaches or perhaps a btter brand to go with. Being involved in the avaition industry I tend to do all my own maintenace on the vehicles that I own including an aeroplane but, I don't want buy a money pit either.
My wife and I want to be able to travel with our dogs and this seems a great way to do so.

Thanks,
Martin

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2012, 09:27 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Possible Class A DP

I would stay away from the Gulfstream with the delamination issue. That is a big problem!

Rexhall, as far as I have heard, has a decent reputation for quality. Those I know with older Rexhalls are very happy with them.

As far as quality MH manufacturers, here is my opinion, for what it's worth!

Top quality, reasonable price:

National RV - DP=2000 and later Tropical, Tradewinds, Marlin, Islander Gas - Sea Breeze, Dolphin, Sea View

Tiffin

Winnebago

Newmar

Monaco (Pre-Navistar)

Top quality, higher end all DPs

Country Coach

Foretravel

Beaver

Travel Supreme

Tiffin (Higher end models)

Happy Trails!

Darryl

Old 08-04-2012, 09:45 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I wouldn't buy a coach with delamination unless I had the skills to assess the amount of damage and to repair it myself.

I don't think Gulfstreams are any better than Rexhalls either.

When buying older coaches, condition is everything. A coach that has been well-maintained is usually a good buy.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 06:59 PM   #4

We have owned a Gulfstream, it was a 1993 DP which we traded for a Monaco Dynasty in 1998. It was our first coach and we were very GLAD to see it go. We never used it at any time that something either broke, didn't function or wouldn't turn on. I'd never consider another Gulfstream MH--just one man's opinion!
Old 08-05-2012, 07:08 PM   #5

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Most people put Newmar in with Tiffin, Country Coach and Travel Supreme. I know we do.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 06:20 PM   #6

I feel the Rexhall is one of the best bangs for the Class A buck in the market place. If you like the layouts (they quite often have the TV's down low in cabinets), and the rig in question is in good condition with good records. Why not? Another good thing about Rexhall's, is they built a steel safety cage. Bill Rex was/is an inovator in the RV industry. They Rexhall full side slides in may of the rigs, are both robust, and make enough room inside to square dance in. We took a tour of the factory, and they had Roseaire that had gone off the road and hit a tree. Husband and wife were safe. And, the factory was able to power up the slides and still open them. Pretty impressive with the front end banged up as much as it was. Many RV's would have 'come apart', and not have protected the occupants as well...

I also agree, very seldom talk to a Rexhall owner that was not happy. Spartan Mountain master, and Cummins ISC make a good combo...

Best of luck,
Smitty
Old 08-06-2012, 09:07 PM   #7

Spartan, Rexhall

x2 Smitty77
Both Spartan and Rexhall have very good customer service departments. Rexhall's are well thought out. You don't see many for sale because their owners like them a lot. Good luck on you quest.
Old 08-06-2012, 09:21 PM   #8

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Most people put Newmar in with Tiffin, Country Coach and Travel Supreme. I know we do.
Another thing to remember is that there are manuy levels of units and quality within each manufacturer.
Newmar has (from high to low)

"Luxury RV's" King Aire, Essex, and Mountain Aire DP's
"Diesel MH's" Dutch Star, Ventana, Ventana LE, Canyon Star, Bay Star, and, Bay Star Sport
"Class A's" Canyon Star, Bay Star, and, Bay Star Sport

A Dutch Star pretty well optioned out will list at about $375,000 and it's not even in the "Luxury" category!
King Aire will got over $800,000
Essex will be in the $700,000 range
Mountain Aire DP will go in the $400,00-500,000 range
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 11:41 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebirdbus View Post
x2 Smitty77
Both Spartan and Rexhall have very good customer service departments. Rexhall's are well thought out. You don't see many for sale because their owners like them a lot. Good luck on you quest.
How did you gain this knowledge?
Old 09-02-2012, 11:42 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Another thing to remember is that there are manuy levels of units and quality within each manufacturer.
Newmar has (from high to low)

"Luxury RV's" King Aire, Essex, and Mountain Aire DP's
"Diesel MH's" Dutch Star, Ventana, Ventana LE, Canyon Star, Bay Star, and, Bay Star Sport
"Class A's" Canyon Star, Bay Star, and, Bay Star Sport

A Dutch Star pretty well optioned out will list at about $375,000 and it's not even in the "Luxury" category!
King Aire will got over $800,000
Essex will be in the $700,000 range
Mountain Aire DP will go in the $400,00-500,000 range
I would never consider newmar and tiffen in the same class as CC and TS. In fact, I wouldn't put tiffen in the same class as a newmar. Entirely different animals.
Old 09-02-2012, 11:46 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by desobelman View Post
I would stay away from the Gulfstream with the delamination issue. That is a big problem!

Rexhall, as far as I have heard, has a decent reputation for quality. Those I know with older Rexhalls are very happy with them.

As far as quality MH manufacturers, here is my opinion, for what it's worth!

Top quality, reasonable price:

National RV - DP=2000 and later Tropical, Tradewinds, Marlin, Islander Gas - Sea Breeze, Dolphin, Sea View

Tiffin

Winnebago

Newmar

Monaco (Pre-Navistar)

Top quality, higher end all DPs

Country Coach

Foretravel

Beaver

Travel Supreme

Tiffin (Higher end models)

Happy Trails!

Darryl
Accurate list with exception of Tiffin , the higher end models should be on your first list. No way in the class of Beaver...Foretravel etc...
Old 09-02-2012, 01:13 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macpeety View Post
How did you gain this knowledge?

I can't speak for freebirdbus, but I will share my opinion on why you find so few Rexhall's for sale.

1) Supply is low. Rexhall were always a lower volume production coach builder.

2) I agree that as I did my researdh on RV's, I heard nothing but positive reviews by all years and owners of Rexhalls. All they way up and including the space age looking gas power rear engine UFO's. Many people especially were pleased with the Bill Rex designed super slides. I was in one 39' mid 2000 year (2003-2005, foreget) with two large drive/passenger super slides. You could square dance inside! This was I believe on the Sparan Montain Master chassis, with 350 ISC and side radiator. The owners were FT, and said they had picked the Rexhall for the combo of inside layout (liked the TV center lower and eye level) sitting capacity (L shape couch, with also one recliner for the DH - they quite often took 2-3 grand kids along with them.)

Several Rexhall owners I talked to at a Rexhall rally in California, also talked about being able to go back to Rexhall in Landcaster to make modifications and upgrades by the same people that built the units.

I liked what I heard so much, and was still considering a UFO at that time, my wife and I drove to Landcaster from San Diego to tour the factory. This was when things were at their worst in the RV industry in general, and was on a Saturday, but very small volume of coaches being built at that time. Some interesting UFO with Diesel options, being built for shipment Down Under, were Right Hand drives.

I'll repeat, IMO, Rexhall's are a very good bang for the buck, and while maybe not in the 'high end' setting, a very solid investment. We did end up buying a CC Allure, as due to the need for others to get out from under - these fell into our budget range...

Best to all,
Smitty
Old 09-02-2012, 02:40 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty77 View Post
I can't speak for freebirdbus, but I will share my opinion on why you find so few Rexhall's for sale.

1) Supply is low. Rexhall were always a lower volume production coach builder.

2) I agree that as I did my researdh on RV's, I heard nothing but positive reviews by all years and owners of Rexhalls. All they way up and including the space age looking gas power rear engine UFO's. Many people especially were pleased with the Bill Rex designed super slides. I was in one 39' mid 2000 year (2003-2005, foreget) with two large drive/passenger super slides. You could square dance inside! This was I believe on the Sparan Montain Master chassis, with 350 ISC and side radiator. The owners were FT, and said they had picked the Rexhall for the combo of inside layout (liked the TV center lower and eye level) sitting capacity (L shape couch, with also one recliner for the DH - they quite often took 2-3 grand kids along with them.)

Several Rexhall owners I talked to at a Rexhall rally in California, also talked about being able to go back to Rexhall in Landcaster to make modifications and upgrades by the same people that built the units.

I liked what I heard so much, and was still considering a UFO at that time, my wife and I drove to Landcaster from San Diego to tour the factory. This was when things were at their worst in the RV industry in general, and was on a Saturday, but very small volume of coaches being built at that time. Some interesting UFO with Diesel options, being built for shipment Down Under, were Right Hand drives.

I'll repeat, IMO, Rexhall's are a very good bang for the buck, and while maybe not in the 'high end' setting, a very solid investment. We did end up buying a CC Allure, as due to the need for others to get out from under - these fell into our budget range...

Best to all,
Smitty
Old 09-02-2012, 03:34 PM   #14

We own an 04 Rexhall on a Spartan MM chassis / Cummins ISC drivetrain, side radiator, three slides, innovative interior with eye level TV, etc & the ability to phone either Spartan or Rexhall when we have question(s).

Gotta be honest, we didn't know all that much about the brand when we bought it. After 24mo. & 24k miles we are pretty impressed. Nice to get lucky ever now & then!

We have had it for close to 24mo.....live in it 24/7....move it every 7-14 days...put on close to 24k miles...

Jack1234 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
purchase