RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-20-2019, 01:12 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Possible grey water tank clogged

I have a 2003 Itasca Suncruiser that I believe the grey water tank may be clogged a bit. I can't get it empty? The lowest the sensor on the panel reads is 1/3; but then it goes back up to 2/3s and the odor that its time to dump. I was thinking of trying to snake the grey side, unless there is an alternative to this. Any suggestions would be most welcome. Thank you.

irish57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-20-2019, 01:33 PM   #2

Much of the times the sensors need cleaning. There must be hundreds of thread about cleaning the sensors, and cleaning the tanks to get the sensors correct. One way to tell, if you know the capacity of the tank, is to empty it, close the valve, and start pouring water into it from a sink using five gallon buckets keeping track the gallons used. If the amount poured is near the same as the specs, then you may have a sensor problem and not a clog.

2015 Jeep Wrangler 2DR 4WD Sahara, Automatic, Hard Top
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 01:38 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Thank you Tom; I will have a look at some of those threads.
Old 11-20-2019, 02:19 PM   #4

When dumping does the water FLOW or does it GURGLE?
Have you checked that the tank vent line is clear?
Sensors.....notoriuosly inaccurate
I haven't even looked at my level monitors since 2008

Odors inside RV??

Should NOT be any waste tank odors inside the RV.
'P' traps with water are vapor barriers so grey tank smells should not get past the water
BUT...AAVs (air admittance valves) on sink drain lines after the 'p' traps fail to fully close and WILL allow grey tank smells back inside the RV

Replace them,...............any hardware store has them, hand tightened/just unscrew
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 12:36 PM   #5

I had a clog and a RV tech told me to pour a large bottle of Pinesol in through to toilet and leave it overnight. It worked wonderfully when a snake and an expanding rubber clog buster wouldn't.

And now I'm dealing with the odor using clear toss ins holding tank deodorant.

https://rvingreviews.com/plumbing/rv...ank-treatment/

No bad smells and have not had any problems. Very easy to use. Buying another brand this time only to see if there is a difference, but I'm sure that I will be buying again. I would definitely recommend this product, just want to evaluate how good it really is.
frankgibbons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 08:23 PM   #6

Sewer smells inside your RV can frequently be traced to a faulty air admittance valve under a sink somewhere. They're pretty cheap and when I have one act up I just change all of them.
hohenwald48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 09:15 PM   #7

Try backflushing the gray water line

When I bought my factory new RV (79 miles on the odometer) and took it to a campground for a few days, the gray water tank drained VERY slowly. It took about 45 minutes to drain a nearly full tank. It was a new tank and we had been religious about not putting ANY food debris down the drain, but it appeared partially clogged. I ordered a fitting (I think the Camco 39062 Dual Flush Pro? There are other brands as well) which attaches to the black/gray drain pipe, and adds a a shutoff valve and a hose connection. I closed the shutoff to the black tank and the sewer hose, and opened the shutoff valve to the gray tank, and backfilled the gray tank. This reverse flow of water appears to have dislodged whatever was in the way, and when I turned off the water hose and opened the shutoff valve to the sewer hose, it drained in a couple of minutes. The problem has never returned (~95 days camping since then) but I continue to use the Dual Flush every time, just in case. Plus, it is clear so you can see how clean (or not) the water is so you know when the tanks have been sufficiently flushed. Hope this helps.
DaveFin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 08:05 AM   #8

I had that issue on my previous coach, didnt realize it until gray tank started over flowing. I inserted water hose from dump valve side and began pushing it through the pipe and back and forth. it finally opened up with a rush. So stand clear when you do it and be ready to close the valve. I guess previous owner never realized it was clogged, as it would drain but slow.
Old 11-22-2019, 11:20 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
grey water tank clog

THank you all for your valuable feedback; it has been most helpful! I am heading to Home Depot today to buy a new AAV, and have already secured the ingredients for the GEO Method. Hopefully, this will take care of any odor problem and help with keeping the tanks loose and clean. I will look into the "drop-ins" as an additional option, and try the back-flushing to clear out any blockage in the grey water tank. Thanks again for the all the feedback!

Doug and Jo Maume
2003 Itasca Suncruiser 38G

Tags
tank, water