Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-30-2015, 07:43 AM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by docj View Post
I've not found that to be the case. In fact, twice a LEO reduced or dropped the charge in order to avoid putting points on my record. Some of the things that are repeated on the internet as fact simply aren't true.
I as the holder of a CDL(for over 25 years now) the points and fines are higher no matter what I am driving on duty or off duty. My traffic tickets cannot be dismissed by taking a defensive driving course. I am held to a higher standard because I am a professional driver.

docj
I fixed it so you might believe what I say has some fact to it.
As you stated the LEO, at his/her discretion, reduced or dropped charges to avoid points on your record. So it seems no fines or reduced fines were given to you at the time.
I got this from
Drivinglaws.org
Understanding the CDL Speeding Ticket Rules

Speeding laws vary from state to state, so truck drivers are encouraged to seek legal counsel when facing speeding violations. Such counsel can help not only address the immediate speeding ticket, but also the future effects such violations might have on your CDL.
When considering how a ticket will affect your CDL, keep in mind:
  • There is no better policy than driving safely, and obeying all posted speed limits at all times. This may seem impossible when you will paid only by arriving at a particular point at a certain time, but the alternative (losing your CDL) is unacceptable.
  • Depending on the state in which you are issued your speeding ticket, the points associated with that ticket might cost you more than you expect. In some states, a CDL holder will face 1.5 times more points for a speeding ticket than a non-commercial drivers license holder. That may mean that just one ticket could cost you your CDL.
  • In most states, CDL holders cannot request to attend traffic school in lieu of points, like other drivers do. That means that once you have a ticket, and it turns into points, you have very little recourse.
  • If you have multiple speeding tickets, you are much more likely to have your CDL suspended. So, if you are issued one speeding ticket and that does not result in your license suspension, be extra careful, because future tickets are likely to cost you your license.
  • Driving only 15 miles per hour over the posted speed limit is a severe violation for CDL truckers. In some locations, even such a seemingly minor infraction can be charged as a misdemeanor.
  • Speeding tickets mean more than traffic court Ė they directly affect your employment, and trucking companies care a lot about your speeding history. Even if you speed, have your CDL revoked, and later have it restored, the damage is done. Most trucking companies will not hire you back, and other companies will not hire you at all if you have had your CDL revoked at any point.

srx-6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-30-2015, 07:51 AM   #16

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Now that you have clarified your post I have no disagreement with it. Some, but not all, states impose greater penalties on CDL holders but that's not the same as what had been previously posted that there is a blanket doubling of fines and penalties for CDL holders who get traffic tickets. The problem with discussion forums such as this is that the truth often gets lost in sweeping generalizations which are not correct.

Thanks for helping to get this discussion back to facts.

Joel

docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 09:57 AM   #17

I was the poster who stated double points and I am not a CDL holder.

I was at the Ca dmv some time ago on other buisiness and picked up the book to read as we hhave a 38 ft dp and was interested.

Cdl could be handy to have I was thinking...

If I was to do the work to gain non commercial b then why stop there.

I noticed the double points and that was that.

It is upto everyone to do their own homework and decide for themselves.

A non commercial a could result in reduction but maybe not.

A competitive quote usually does wonders to reduce rates as companies do not want to loose a customer that is already on the hook
Old 05-01-2015, 12:40 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by TQ60 View Post
I was the poster who stated double points and I am not a CDL holder.

I was at the Ca dmv some time ago on other buisiness and picked up the book to read as we hhave a 38 ft dp and was interested.

Cdl could be handy to have I was thinking...

If I was to do the work to gain non commercial b then why stop there.

I noticed the double points and that was that.

It is upto everyone to do their own homework and decide for themselves.

A non commercial a could result in reduction but maybe not.

A competitive quote usually does wonders to reduce rates as companies do not want to loose a customer that is already on the hook

There are only 19 states that offer a non commercial A/B license. The rest just requires a normal operators license to drive an RV of any size.

Tags
insurance