Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-25-2018, 07:30 AM   #1

Possible macerator problem

My macerator on my 2017 holiday rambler seems to be taking a lot longer to chop up the waste. When I flush, it runs and runs and runs even if it is only pee or water. Has anyone had similar issues and should I be concerned?
bshan0711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-25-2018, 02:29 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
Hope you have a box of rubber gloves handy, sounds like you may need them in the near future.

I'd much rather use a large stinky slinky than have to take apart and clean out a macerator. Make sure everyone is using toilet paper that has been tested with a shake test. (put a sheet or two in a jar of water, shake and make sure the paper breaks apart) Use of wipes and other things should never be put down the toilet.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 05:33 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bshan0711 View Post
My macerator on my 2017 holiday rambler seems to be taking a lot longer to chop up the waste. When I flush, it runs and runs and runs even if it is only pee or water. Has anyone had similar issues and should I be concerned?
2017 is not that old, depending how often you use it

Could be your blade or impeller may be just worn or damaged from improper disposal

Anything deposited other than "P P P" (pee, poop, paper)???

Must be cautious regarding kitchen sink disposal as well

I had to rebuild mine (twice) a few years ago due to a forbidden toilet disposal.

On one occasion the symptoms were the same, just drastically slowed down. The other occasion the pump completely stopped

Parts were readily available and easily repaired......

Ya, It was messy, but I love my Shiterator!
Old 05-25-2018, 08:04 PM   #4

They are easy to take apart and no mess in the 2 I’ve taken apart to check them out.
Johngflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 09:48 PM   #5

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I installed a macerator system on our MH 4 years ago. I've had it apart 4 times to clean out the hair and thread(we do a lot of sewing in our spare time.) that gets wrapped around the blade. I used to use the grey water clean out the macerator, but after seeing how much stuff gets wrapped around the blade and shaft, I stopped that and just use it on the black water. If it is taking longer to grind up stuff, and sounds like it's spinning slower than usual, I will bet that it needs a cleaning.
Old 05-26-2018, 07:52 AM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I agree with the take it apart and clean it suggestion Have some universal gasket if you actually dissassemble the pump

Remember it only pumps about 5-7 GPM not 36 gallons in less than a minute I get with my 3" hose.

Also the farther (More hose not actual distance) the smaller the hose and the greater the height of the "Ground" end of the hose the slower it goes.
Old 05-26-2018, 06:04 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
One of my first projects when we got this coach with a macerator was to take it off and put it in storage....no draining issues now at all.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 07:28 AM   #8

are there companies that inspect and clean the macerator
bshan0711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 08:04 AM   #9

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bshan0711 View Post
are there companies that inspect and clean the macerator
They aren't complicated machines, most owners can dismantle and clean them out themselves. I'm sure you can call around to RV techs and shops and find one to charge you for the service.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace