Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-10-2015, 09:21 PM   #1

Possible purchase

Looked at an 08 beaver coach contessa 42 ft with tag axle. Coach seems to be in good condition with a 400 cat motor. They are asking $150K with 50,000 miles. To those of you with more experience how does that sound for price as this would be our first experience in purchasing an RV?

Thanks
Cliff

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-11-2015, 12:32 AM   #2

Welcome to the wonderful world of RVing Cliff. I would suggest using NADA Guides for a price resource. The NADA book value is by no means chiseled in stone. Not knowing which model, the link below can get you started.

2008 Beaver Price, 2008 Beaver Values & 2008 Beaver Specs | NADAguides

gruelens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 02:14 AM   #3

Here is one to compare it with.
Kenai Coach 2008 Beaver Contessa Rome IV
2 stroker
2 Stroker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 07:02 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Inspection

Look for an rv inspection company. Similar to a house inspection before purchasing. A good honest rv inspection will not tell you if you should or shouldn't buy it, they will prepare a report of the condition of the rv so you can make an informed decision.
Old 10-11-2015, 11:48 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Stroker View Post
Here is one to compare it with.
Kenai Coach 2008 Beaver Contessa Rome IV
2 stroker

That's the one actually
Old 10-11-2015, 02:44 PM   #6

Have to be honest but I may be talking myself out of the diesels. Seems like a lot of people have expensive problems with them. One of the reasons I wanted to go with the pusher was that I believed that I would be avoiding the reliability issues. I wanted to spend the money up front for a unit that would last and I wouldn't have to worry about breaking down. There are a lot of horror stories of people losing power and replacing injectors, turbos and metal in the motor. Is this a common thing or is just an example of the only thing that gets talked about are the negatives.
Old 10-11-2015, 02:53 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward family View Post
Have to be honest but I may be talking myself out of the diesels. Seems like a lot of people have expensive problems with them. One of the reasons I wanted to go with the pusher was that I believed that I would be avoiding the reliability issues. I wanted to spend the money up front for a unit that would last and I wouldn't have to worry about breaking down. There are a lot of horror stories of people losing power and replacing injectors, turbos and metal in the motor. Is this a common thing or is just an example of the only thing that gets talked about are the negatives.

Most posts concerning drivetrain issues are negative in nature. No reason to post when all is well.

My own experience is as follows:
1. Purchased as high a quality DP as I could afford. It was 3 years old and 40,000 miles.
2. Moved in full time 8 years ago.
3. Coach now has 105,000 miles.
4. No failures.
5. I've kept up with the PM regularly.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 02:53 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Wonder why it carries California plates, is located in the Chicago area and being sold from a dealer in Alaska.
sgtjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 03:38 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtjoe View Post
Wonder why it carries California plates, is located in the Chicago area and being sold from a dealer in Alaska.
It looks like the one we looked at yesterday in the Chicago area. Same mileage colors and floor plan.
Old 10-11-2015, 06:12 PM   #10

Those pics don't look like Alaska.
Old 10-11-2015, 09:39 PM   #11

As keukacamper said get a reputable RV inspection company to inspect the rv first before your buy. It may cost you $300.00 but it is worth the price as they take all day and sometimes 2 to complete the inspection.

Then if you like the results you can get the $300.00 or so back from the seller in the purchase price.

Also as gruelens said use the NADA values as a guide only. I always take the low retail and if the coach is really nice, the owner has a complete, uptodate, with receipts maintenance records, I add 20% to the low NADA and make an offer.

I have not been turned down yet.
Old 10-11-2015, 10:13 PM   #12

This one is in Mesa, AZ. I have purchased from this dealer before and they are straight shooters. http://www.integrityrv.net/pre_owned...sp?veh=4254410
Old 10-12-2015, 12:22 AM   #13

Don't be concerned about the diesels. There is a reason any heavy duty application is going to use a diesel and not a gas. The reason I went diesel years ago was my concern with using light duty truck engines pulling 20k plus loads. I work at a trucking company and anything over 12000 gross is diesel. The one negative with any forum is most people post because they have a problem and are looking for suggestions so we as readers only see the negative. We just need to use common sense and keep things in perspective. I will say some engines have proven to be more desirable and the only thing I see with the engines were working with today is the emission stuff. I was talking to one of the shop guys and he said they wouldn't have any repairs if they hadn't invented emissions engines. I rarely see any older trucks is the shop its only the new stuff. Hope this helps.
Old 10-12-2015, 09:25 AM   #14

I agree with Steve, I love my diesel and wouldn't have a gas coach. It starts up every time and will pull all day long and never complain. The key is to have the oil tested and service the engine religiously. Remember these same engines are in vehicles that normally run half a million miles or more with few repairs and only maintenance.

Steve and Jill
2005 Panther
23' Trailer

Tags
purchase