Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-17-2017, 09:17 AM   #1

Possible Tire Issue

We took our 1992 fleetwood bounder 28ft out on another great camping trip this weekend! Unfortunately, I noticed what I think is a flat spot on my tire or something even more expensive........

I noticed while driving 5mph I can hear a rubber squishing sound at every rotation of my front driver side tire. The rig bobs to the left at each sound. I checked to see if something was rubbing and I couldn't see anything. At 40mph the rig shakes far more than I think it should and then 50+mph the rig feels smooth. So something is going on and it worries me.

Are there any signs that this could be a flat spot? Wobbly alignment? Something else? I will ultimately have to take it to a shop I assume but wanted to know if there was anything else I could check or possibly fix myself.

Thanks in advance!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-17-2017, 09:20 AM   #2
Senior Member - DIYer

Ford Super Duty Owner
What are the tire date codes??

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiret...170417114203:s

It won't do MACH 2, but I can get a sandwich and take a pee.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 09:20 AM   #3

I wouldn't drive it. Take the tire off and bring it to a shop for inspection.
Old 04-17-2017, 09:24 AM   #4

You need to look closely at the tire. Any lumps, bumps or ridges on the tread or sidewall means ply separation.

I had this happen to me on 7 year old, low mileage tires. First I felt it in the front, only when starting out and then only at slow speed.

Found a tire shop that removed the tire from the wheel and could see the separation.

A month latter, it started on the rear so I replaced them too.
Old 04-17-2017, 10:02 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiter21 View Post
Picture Included
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	17949969_10210713583968622_612221169_o.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	85.9 KB
ID:	158578  
Old 04-17-2017, 10:08 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
You need to look closely at the tire. Any lumps, bumps or ridges on the tread or sidewall means ply separation.

I had this happen to me on 7 year old, low mileage tires. First I felt it in the front, only when starting out and then only at slow speed.

Found a tire shop that removed the tire from the wheel and could see the separation.

A month latter, it started on the rear so I replaced them too.
I looked pretty well and the tire looks in good shape. I was told by the seller that the previous owner had very recently put these tires on. By the looks of them they look new.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	17950081_10210713583728616_911381637_o.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	103.4 KB
ID:	158580  
Old 04-17-2017, 10:15 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Any chance your running balancing beads. Mine stayed in balance from parked in storage to free at speeds and I can't hear so might be possible to be a squishy sound.

LEN
Old 04-17-2017, 10:19 AM   #8

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Probably cord separation. Dates don't mean anything if a tire has hit something hard enough to damage it. If it's a bad tire them you might get some warranty satisfaction.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 10:53 AM   #9
Senior Member - DIYer

Ford Super Duty Owner
2014 date codes. Make your next stop a tire place and have them take a look. If your cords are damaged and could separate.

When they separate at highway speeds, at worst it could kill you, at best, it will do a lot of damage to your motorhome

It won't do MACH 2, but I can get a sandwich and take a pee.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 10:59 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Probably cord separation. Dates don't mean anything if a tire has hit something hard enough to damage it. If it's a bad tire them you might get some warranty satisfaction.
Now that you said that I clearly remember on our first trip out to a local spot I hit a good pothole at 30mph on that exact tire. I didn't notice anything strange driving it immediately after that but all signs point to that moment. I found a place 6 miles away that will work on my tire so I will take it out there today and report back what they find out.

Thanks again for all replies!
Old 04-17-2017, 01:47 PM   #11

Ok so here is an update. Tire itself is fine. But when jacked up at the shop the wheel did not spin freely and you could feel the sticking point in each rotation. Meaning that the bearings are shot or my axel is f'd.

Now for the even worse news. Nobody in town works on my RV. NOBODY. I went to 6 different shops and each one sent me to the next and I got nowhere. The last place I'm waiting to hear back from is Camping World. Other than that I don't know what to do.

Now that I know that it isn't the tire the sound that I hear seems like it's rubbing a brake pad or I'm hearing the bad bearing(s) rubbing. Same sound but now I'm not thinking it's the rubber of the tire.

I'm one step closer to a fix but still 100 steps behind. Any other help would be appreciated.

FYI: I'm in Nashville, TN.
Old 04-17-2017, 01:48 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiter21 View Post
2014 date codes. Make your next stop a tire place and have them take a look. If your cords are damaged and could separate.

When they separate at highway speeds, at worst it could kill you, at best, it will do a lot of damage to your motorhome
Truck tire shop said tires look fine. A little on the cheap end and a small bit of "unusual wear" but said they look intact. I'm assuming the "unusual wear" is coming from my issue though.
Old 04-17-2017, 02:52 PM   #13

Did anyone look at the brake rotors..you could have a warped rotor that hits a pad on one side for each rotation. Could cause a pull if the warp is bad enough to engage the pad on that side.
Old 04-17-2017, 03:57 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyian View Post
Did anyone look at the brake rotors..you could have a warped rotor that hits a pad on one side for each rotation. Could cause a pull if the warp is bad enough to engage the pad on that side.
Nobody is willing to look at my rig at all. I have not even got a "hey we don't do that kind of repair work but we can at least look at it for ya" reply.

As I'm somewhat mechanically inclined I will just jack it up, take the wheel off and do a self inspection later this week. I'm just very surprised as well as frustrated that nobody works on these problems on an RV in my city.