Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-20-2013, 02:49 PM   #1

Possible transfer switch issue

I have a 2008 Monaco Knight that I put in storage. I turned the switches that connect to the two banks of batteries off. Sat for a couple months. I went to check it out the other day. Turned on switches and fired up generator. All seems ok. Juice to inverter and appliances.

Turned generator off and plugged into a 15 amp plug. Nothing! No juice to appliances or inverter. Is this a transfer switch problem? Has always worked when plugging into 50 amp.

Any ideas?

One other thing. Fuel gauge reading now shows empty for the coach. Took rig to get fuel and could only put in 20 gallons. rig holds 100. fuel gauge now shows 1/8 to 1/4 tank. Is it possible this was caused from turning off batteries during storage? I full time in this rig since new and have sat for 4 months at a time without an issue.

Any thoughts?

Steve
bigdomino is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-20-2013, 03:10 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Sure points to the ATS to me. Try tapping it with a hammer, that sometimes gets it to engage.

Not sure on the fuel gauge.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 03:17 PM   #3

I wonder if I plug into a 50 amp service that the increased amps will kick it into operation?
Old 09-20-2013, 04:40 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I doubt it. It's all 120v and the 50a is just what's available to the coach if it demands it. I'm not saying don't try it, but those ATS should work flawlessly on any amp connection as it sences voltage, not amps available. So if it is the ATS, it's going bad anyway.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 04:43 PM   #5

Gulf Streamers Club
How long did you wait? There is a time delay when the transfer switch changes from generator to shore power. If you have an EMS, it also has a built in delay.It could be 2-3 minutes or more. Disconnecting has no influence on fuel gauge accuracy, after all you turn off the power to it every time you turn off the ignition switch.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 09:04 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I am not sure how the ATS will affect the fuel gauge. I am wondering something. you said you plugged it into 15 amp plug in. are you sure that the plug in has power or that when you plugged it in that it did not trp the breaker
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 06:37 AM   #7

I am sure there is power. I had a powered air pumpwith me and it did up when I plugged in. The ats I have has a plastic cover on it. My rv dealer in Ca., I am in NH, told me to take the cover off and hit it a bit.

Steve
Old 09-21-2013, 07:04 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Steve, Since you have power when running the generator, I would suspect the 15A circuit. A problem with a campground power comes to mind. I had a simular problem a few years ago. Turned out to be a faulty connection on the pedistal, loosing the ground. If your EMS is like mine, it senses for proper neutral, hot, and ground. I would be testing the 15A circuit for proper hot, neutral, ground and phasing. Someone please correct me if I am wrong about the EMS. Just another thought. Let us know what it turns out to be.
kewag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 08:07 AM   #9

The rig is parked in a covered storage area in NH. The power outlet is on the wall in front of the rv. I have never had this problem before. Why after sitting for 4 months unplugged does this happen? Could the switch be stuck, if there is such a thing?
Old 09-21-2013, 08:21 AM   #10

What brand is your Transfer Switch? If it is the IOTA plastic one, there is a recall on it. I have a 08 coach and my transfer switch melted.
johnsonk555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 11:30 AM   #11

It is a plastic unit. Not at rig so I can't see the brand name.
Old 09-21-2013, 11:46 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Even if the IOTA transfer switch is working, I would get rid of it. They have been known to catch fire.

Replace it with an ESCO Lyght 50 amp Transfer Switch.

50 AMP 240 VAC Relay Based

Regarding your Fuel gauge, I would make sure you have a really good ground and if unsure run a new ground wire to the gauge and see what happens.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 11:48 AM   #13

Is it difficult to replace the transfer switch?

Steve
Old 09-21-2013, 02:40 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdomino View Post
Is it difficult to replace the transfer switch? Steve
It is not difficult at all...

The wires coming from the shore power and the generator, come in to the switch on one side and the wires to the breaker panel (house) are on the other side. ( could be top and bottom, depending on switch)

Disconnect all three with a screwdriver, then remove the "box" from the wall.
Install new switch "box" and reconnect.

Might want to take a picture of the order of the colored wires, if you are not too electrically inclined.

That's the broad stroke... Directions that come with will be more specific.

Good luck, pretty straightforward...
Jeff
La-Z-Boy is offline   Reply With Quote