RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-19-2019, 05:43 AM   #1

Possible upgrade

My wife and I inherited my inlaws Class A (2000 Winnebago Brave 35C). I have taken this unit to Yellowstone twice and Grand Canyon once. Its a good motorhome but we want to start pulling our Jeep and I know the Brave is lacking on pulling power. I found a 2003 Winnebago Journey 36gd. Both units have about the same miles. I believe the Freightliner chassis would be an upgrade in itself. Is the Journey a better model than the brave? any advise is appreciated.

csmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-19-2019, 06:19 AM   #2

Yes. the brave was a second level coach back in the mid-late 90's with the warrior being the entry level class A until that warrior went away leaving the Brave/Sunrise as the entry level class A product.. It really should tow a car fine.
The diesel will have more torque but also be heavier so keep that in mind if you park on soft grass at infields or racetracks etc.. You would see a difference in towing, and the diesel fuel will cost more per gallon, but you may use less gallons...so that bit may be closer to a break even at the end of the trip, but you cant tell with driving habits etc. The big perks are the diesel generator, air ride, big brakes, stable ride those are great. However, it costs a lot more to keep the thing going when the time for service happens. $130 air filters are just the beginning.

Old 07-19-2019, 06:50 AM   #3

Thanks for the reply, I have alot of experience in the large vehicle driving characteristics, I know about the trade off from gas to diesel and the difference in maintenance cost (I can do most of it myself). The Brave is on a workhorse chassis with 454 chevy which is fine around the midwest but not on any hills and to add a toad behind it will cripple it even farther. But was curious more about the quality of the Journey compared to the Brave.
Old 07-19-2019, 10:29 AM   #4

To be realistic, they are built in the same building, in the same way. I don't think that year Journey had a gelcoat exterior so the walls and substructure is basically the same. The cabinets may be a tick better, and you may pick up a china toilet (possibly solid surface countertops), but the shower/tub is the same material, furniture and build methods are the same.
Old 07-20-2019, 09:48 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

I mostly agree with vectraguy but think the Journey has somewhat more features and capabilities than any Brave. The Adventurer and Chieftain are upscale from the Brave, and the Journey is a bit upscale of the Adventurer. Not way upscale by any means, but a solid performer. However, the body construction is going to be largely the same.

For a comparison, review the 2003 brochure available on the Winnie website at https://winnebagoind.com/product-res...ct-information

The Freightliner diesel chassis and drivetrain will be a major step by itself. Stronger and more rigid, air suspension and brakes, bigger wheels/tires/brakes, more towing capacity (10,000 lbs), etc.

Be aware that there is a Journey DL model that has some differences from the mainline Journey. Make sure you know which you are looking at and that any info or specs you use are for the right model.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 06:23 AM   #6

https://indianapolis.craigslist.org/rvs/d/peru-super-clean-winnebago-journey-with/6923266064.html
Old 07-21-2019, 06:24 AM   #7

Looked at it yesterday. Its in pretty good shape. Paint is excelent. Good tires and drives good
Old 08-01-2019, 04:54 AM   #8

We did it, purchased a new to us winnebago journey dl.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190729_180350.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	608.8 KB
ID:	255373  
Old 08-01-2019, 10:06 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Looks well-kept. Hopes it treats you well!
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 12:24 PM   #10

Looks very good

Milford 47 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
upgrade

« Inverter | Bad gas »