Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-06-2019, 02:35 PM   #15

There was no mention of proper tire pressure for the MH load. I'm guessing OP knows to do that... but just in case...

Our MH used to ride like a truck - until I got a four-corner weight and adjusted the tire pressure as recommended.

The improvement in ride and handling was dramatic.

And, of course - bad pothole and expansion joints can be a shock for any vehicle however proper setup can help to minimize the trauma.
Domo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-06-2019, 04:47 PM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Fantastic responses. Thank you. Helps to know we are not alone with the Bam Bams, Widow Makers and Loop-t-Loops. Thanks to all.
Captain KC42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 05:36 PM   #17

Surprised at all the honest answers on this thread. My spring ride class A hits those road craters HARD, but to listen to some of the pusher owners on here they don't even feel them. I now drive part-time for a luxury motor coach company and can say that even their new tandem axle Prevost bang on these roads up north.
Tom
MoCoTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 09:34 PM   #18

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The IN turnpike, yipes. It should be illegal to charge for driving on that road. Good place to test a new RV. After a few hours on here, do another PDI. If nothing has shaken loose, you are good.
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 11:40 PM   #19

Welcome to Colorado.
You could lose a Smart Car in this one.
I was driving the coach on a busy street in Boulder County not long ago. The U bolt that holds the rod that connects the front axle to the ride height valve couldn't take the pounding. It broke dumping all the air out of the four front air bags. A steer tire chewed up some fiberglass around the wheel well when I finally got a chance to turn off the road to see what had happened.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191204_132547710.jpeg
Views:	42
Size:	96.7 KB
ID:	268821
2005 Monaco Knight 40PLQ; Cummins 8.3L ISC330, Pacbrake, Allison 3000, Roadmaster RR8R, ScanGauge D, 2004 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750(Geezer Glide) on a Versahaul carrier pulling a 2013 Kia Soul+; 2.0L, 6 speed Sport shifter(great car) on an American Car Dolly(great dolly.)
FL420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 11:34 AM   #20
NXR

Hitting certain expansion joints on our new 22,000 GVWR coach and driving on certain local roads was just teeth-jarring and it felt like the thing was coming apart. The Garmin RV785 has a dashcam built in and when it detects an "event", which means it thinks we were in an accident, it bleeps and saves the video. The "events" happened often enough that we knew where to expect them.

At 800 miles I had the stock F53 Sachs shocks replaced with four Koni FSD's, the gold ones. A local road always triggered an "event" in two places. After replacing the shocks those parts of that road felt like the rest of the road, no jarring at all.

We just did a long trip and the Garmin only detected "events" three times on over a thousand miles on I-75.

Just under nine hundred dollars for the four shocks and professional installation and well worth it to us.

Ray
Old 12-07-2019, 11:59 AM   #21

Tiffin Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to TurtleKent
If you haven't yet, get your coach weighed, and adjust tire pressures accordingly per the tire manufacturers recommendations. It can work wonders many times to smooth out the ride. Been there, done that!
Old 12-07-2019, 01:22 PM   #22
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Try some new shocks. I've replaced the shocks on both of my Dutch Stars, right after I bought them new. I added Koni's to both. Initially, the only Koni available for independent front suspension, was the Koni Red. I tried them and they were no better. Eventually, Koni came out with the Koni EVO, for IFS front ends. I changed over to the EVO's and noticed quite a reduction of the harsh impact on expansion joints and pot holes. I could see my front shades get quite a bonce going on the expansion joints. The EVO's eliminated that. Now, I often hear some pot holes thunk, but don't feel them transmit through to the coach.

If you don't have IFS, the Koni FSD's will give you the same improvement. The FSD's work great on the rear.

Some may think I'm nuts for replacing new shocks, yet others will spend thousands on electronics and drive down the road in a rough riding coach. I like to fix the ride first, then improve things like the stereo.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 05:14 PM   #23

Fleetwood Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Thank you again for all the responses. Very helpful insights.

In re-reading my original post I see an error in my message. This was our first drive after a steer tire blowout back in August. We were doing 67/68 at the time. I followed the 'acceleration protocol' but we still made contact with the high tension 'guardrail'. Damage to the coach, no damage to humans or dogs other than shot nerves. Horrifying 45 seconds. Tire pressure was fine prior to the blowout, believe we picked up something through a construction area about miles prior.

All in, after lots of reading on this site and others, we will be replacing tires in the Spring. We are currently on Goodyear's that came new with the coach but are at their maximum weight rating for our coach. Also, because I experienced a slight flutter in the 20/30 seconds prior to the blow, we will also add a TPMS, even if it only gives 10 extra seconds of reaction time. Finally, because while we spending money on under-butt, I like the idea of updating the shocks to the Kona or equal.

One final note: I had been comfortable cruising in the 67MPH/70MPH range with occasional burst when passing or on beautiful highways. Those days are now part of our history. Our 500 HP Cummins achieves 6th gear and maintains it at about 1500 RPMs and 63/64. That is a comfortable pace with significantly less stress than even 5 MPH faster.

Thank you all again. Let the critique begin!
Old 12-07-2019, 06:26 PM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain KC42 View Post
Thank you again for all the responses. Very helpful insights.

In re-reading my original post I see an error in my message. This was our first drive after a steer tire blowout back in August. We were doing 67/68 at the time. I followed the 'acceleration protocol' but we still made contact with the high tension 'guardrail'. Damage to the coach, no damage to humans or dogs other than shot nerves. Horrifying 45 seconds. Tire pressure was fine prior to the blowout, believe we picked up something through a construction area about miles prior.

All in, after lots of reading on this site and others, we will be replacing tires in the Spring. We are currently on Goodyear's that came new with the coach but are at their maximum weight rating for our coach. Also, because I experienced a slight flutter in the 20/30 seconds prior to the blow, we will also add a TPMS, even if it only gives 10 extra seconds of reaction time. Finally, because while we spending money on under-butt, I like the idea of updating the shocks to the Kona or equal.

One final note: I had been comfortable cruising in the 67MPH/70MPH range with occasional burst when passing or on beautiful highways. Those days are now part of our history. Our 500 HP Cummins achieves 6th gear and maintains it at about 1500 RPMs and 63/64. That is a comfortable pace with significantly less stress than even 5 MPH faster.

Thank you all again. Let the critique begin!
So your tires are at least 16 years old?
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 08:55 PM   #25

Fleetwood Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
My tires are 4 years old by the purchase date and the DOT date on the tire.
Old 12-07-2019, 09:17 PM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain KC42 View Post
My tires are 4 years old by the purchase date and the DOT date on the tire.

Oh that's pretty new...I didn't know when you purchased the coach.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 04:11 AM   #27

Bridges are funded by federal money, roads are funded by state and county money so you can easily see why there is no smooth transition between the two.
dontbsilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 06:24 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontbsilly View Post
Bridges are funded by federal money, roads are funded by state and county money so you can easily see why there is no smooth transition between the two.

Some states seem to be able to get it right. Attention to detail and superior workmanship is a wonderful thing. Too bad more DOT units can't seem to care enough to do the little amount of work necessary to provide a smooth, safe roadway. -Paul