RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-06-2019, 09:55 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Potholes, Expansion Joints & Slammers

We have been Class A RVing for about 6 years, first on a Monaco DP and now our American Eagle. With 30k miles under us we are still not used to the 'bang' of hitting a pothole or bad expansion joint at highway speed. It usually is followed by some salty language from the passenger seat and a sideways look toward the driver.

Yesterday, on a 200 mile milk run bringing the coach home from the repair shop in Decatur, IN, it was the topic off conversation: 'I swear we bottomed out on that one!', 'No Sweetie, it is normal.' (This was our first run after a left front steer tire at 67 MPH a couple months ago so nerves were high)

Nonetheless, what do you hear and experience? What is normal when you hit a hole or bad expansion joint? Appreciate all responses. Thank You

Captain KC42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-06-2019, 10:21 AM   #2

We have excellent roads throughout most of Florida, so our experience with potholes and slammers is generally limited to our out of state travels.

Went from NE Florida to New Hampshire in May of this year and could not believe the conditions of some of the roads in the NE. Made the error of going via I-95 thru NYC and over the George Washington Bridge.....WOW!!!! Nothing but potholes and expansion joints ...so slam and slam and slam again at moderate speeds.

On good roads our ride is smooth and silk, on bad roads you will experience what you describe and yes it is normal IMHO.

As for bottoming the suspension, I think we experienced that a time or two thru New York City on I-95 that day.

Slamming on I-95 when you enter PA from Delaware was also memorable. The Commonwealth should be ashamed of the road conditions south of Philadelphia.

While in bad road states, I try to keep a lookout and avoid, but it is not always possible due to traffic conditions.

Old 12-06-2019, 10:26 AM   #3

Just to add, had one other experience as a passenger on a charter bus in Washington DC some years ago.

45 foot tag axle Prevost....and she slammed hard on some of the misaligned expension joints and pot holes around the DC area.
Old 12-06-2019, 10:28 AM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerBoater View Post
We have excellent roads throughout most of Florida, so our experience with potholes and slammers is generally limited to our out of state travels.

Went from NE Florida to New Hampshire in May of this year and could not believe the conditions of some of the roads in the NE. Made the error of going via I-95 thru NYC and over the George Washington Bridge.....WOW!!!! Nothing but potholes and expansion joints ...so slam and slam and slam again at moderate speeds.

On good roads our ride is smooth and silk, on bad roads you will experience what you describe and yes it is normal IMHO.

As for bottoming the suspension, I think we experienced that a time or two thru New York City on I-95 that day.

Slamming on I-95 when you enter PA from Delaware was also memorable. The Commonwealth should be ashamed of the road conditions south of Philadelphia.

While in bad road states, I try to keep a lookout and avoid, but it is not always possible due to traffic conditions.
I 95 SUCKS . went up to RI in sept.
2 hours to cross GW bridge.
Went back home on back roads abd south on 81 through PA etc and cut across to 95 in the Carolinas. Much more scenic great leef color smoother roads.Click image for larger version

Name:	1016111445.jpeg
Views:	13
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	268759
Russ Silber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 10:29 AM   #5

I had a similar problem with the front slamming on my Country Coach. I ended up adjusting the front ride height up about 1 inch. This adjustment greatly reduced the slamming. I think on mine the air spring (bag) didn't have enough air and the bag would collapsed on to the internal bumper. Once on the internal bumper there is no "spring" effect. It was a pretty easy adjustment.
Old 12-06-2019, 10:32 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ Silber View Post
I 95 SUCKS . went up to RI in sept.
2 hours to cross GW bridge.
Went back home on back roads abd south on 81 through PA etc and cut across to 95 in the Carolinas. Much more scenic great leef color smoother roads.Attachment 268759

Did much the same on the return trip.
Old 12-06-2019, 11:19 AM   #7

While driving our new to us Beaver home from the purchase in Florida, I hit a transition between layers of new asphalt and the existing road that was not marked (that is my story and I am sticking to it). The jolt was so severe that it knocked the driver's power visor to the steering wheel and into my lap. After tossing the visor aside, I pulled over for a quick check of the rig as well as my underwear. I did not see any evidence of damage to the front axle, so I went on my merry way. Thereafter, I did not notice any vibration in the steering. When I brought the rig in for full service, the shop noted that I had a damaged drag link and "did I know that my front passenger tire had severe wear on the inside of the tread." Drag link and installation was about $2k. I was planning to replace the tires when I returned home anyway, so no big deal there. I was trying to dodge the 2018 hurricane in Georgia and NC, so I did not check the rig as I normally would during a run of this length. Never a dull moment.
Delaware beaches ----- DW & Kip the Wonder Dog
Sandy Swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 11:40 AM   #8

We have a 2017 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40G and just hate going over bridges and pot holes and expansion joints too. Feel like I'm driving a tank. Highway contractors must pay the state inspectors to allow uneven concrete bridges to blacktop roads. The transitions are absolutely unacceptable, to say the least!! And there is soooo many of them!! Why can't they construct the blacktop highway at the same level as the concrete bridge? I have to ask are they blind or do they need to clean their glasses? The Foreman must tell them, "that's close enough guys, let's go get a beer". Everytime I see a bridge coming, I warn my wife, "here comes a bridge, hold on".
Verlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 11:48 AM   #9

Vintage RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verlyn View Post
We have a 2017 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40G and just hate going over bridges and pot holes and expansion joints too. Feel like I'm driving a tank. Highway contractors must pay the state inspectors to allow uneven concrete bridges to blacktop roads. The transitions are absolutely unacceptable, to say the least!! And there is soooo many of them!! Why can't they construct the blacktop highway at the same level as the concrete bridge? I have to ask are they blind or do they need to clean their glasses? The Foreman must tell them, "that's close enough guys, let's go get a beer". Everytime I see a bridge coming, I warn my wife, "here comes a bridge, hold on".
An older brother once worked for a major bridge construction company throughout the U.S. I think the complaint he voiced most often was that his company would build a million-dollar bridge and the highway contractor would install a two-cent highway approach to their bridge.
Old 12-06-2019, 11:53 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain KC42 View Post
We have been Class A RVing for about 6 years, first on a Monaco DP and now our American Eagle. With 30k miles under us we are still not used to the 'bang' of hitting a pothole or bad expansion joint at highway speed. It usually is followed by some salty language from the passenger seat and a sideways look toward the driver.

Yesterday, on a 200 mile milk run bringing the coach home from the repair shop in Decatur, IN, it was the topic off conversation: 'I swear we bottomed out on that one!', 'No Sweetie, it is normal.' (This was our first run after a left front steer tire at 67 MPH a couple months ago so nerves were high)

Nonetheless, what do you hear and experience? What is normal when you hit a hole or bad expansion joint? Appreciate all responses. Thank You

New Orleans Louisiana to Beaumont Texas going over all the bridges itís like a carnival ride
Like a downhill snow skier going over the moguls
gramps66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 01:24 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramps66 View Post
New Orleans Louisiana to Beaumont Texas going over all the bridges itís like a carnival ride
Like a downhill snow skier going over the moguls
Agree. Last time we went thru there we hit so hard DW swore we had to have blown a tire.
cjd10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 02:01 PM   #12

I-84 through New York and Connecticut. UGHH! There were potholes galore and places where the seams had opened up a foot wide last spring.

However, hands down, the worst slam-bang we ever experienced was on I-290 just North of Worcester, MA. NO transition or WARNING SIGN whatsoever between scarified pavement and a bridge. We lost hubcap from the tag axle on that one. -Paul
Old 12-06-2019, 02:18 PM   #13

The expansion joints in my hood are terrible to say the least, in a car going 20mph sounds like your hitting a curb. I call them "bam bams", cause that's what they sound like when hitting them. I hate those things!
TajMahal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 03:20 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
On YouTube I follow several truck drivers who run all over the lower 48. Several have mentioned that Indiana has some of the worst roads in the country.

Don't know where I'm going, spose I'll get there anyway.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote