Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-01-2017, 08:26 AM   #1

Rexhall Owners Group
Power captains chair removal

Apparently there is a loose connection to the motor. The chair works fine until I turn it around. Then it stops. By tweaking the two wires that connect to the motor, the chair works again. Not much room to see or make repairs. On my old coach with manual chairs there was a castle nut that held the chair in place. Removing the chair was pretty easy. Don't see anything similar on this one. How do I remove the chair?

Thanks

Gary
garyb1st is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-01-2017, 09:24 AM   #2

I don't know what brand of seats or , pedestal you have , but the seat should mount to the pedestal with 4 nuts, and the pedestal to the floor with 4 bolts .
The pedestal to floor may be a two person job to remove , if the nuts have to be held below the floor.
Old 06-01-2017, 10:34 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyb1st View Post
Apparently there is a loose connection to the motor. The chair works fine until I turn it around. Then it stops. By tweaking the two wires that connect to the motor, the chair works again. Not much room to see or make repairs. On my old coach with manual chairs there was a castle nut that held the chair in place. Removing the chair was pretty easy. Don't see anything similar on this one. How do I remove the chair?

Thanks

Gary
I'd have to see your chair and or, at least the undercarriage of it in order to confirm Skips suggestion. What he states about the "4 nuts" is true on ours. The chair slides on two sets of tracks. Those tracks are held onto the "lazy Susan" rotating plate. There are 4 studs, welded to the ends of the tracks, that face downward. The nuts on the bottoms of those, are what's removed to remove the chair, from the rotating plate.

Now, one thing here. On ours, which may or may not be like yours, there's a small cable that is hand actuated, that allows for the rotation of the chair. There is a small black thumb lever, close the electric controls for the chair, that, when pushed downward, pulls on the cable which, pulls on a lock, that allows the rotating plate to rotate. You must release that cable end from the locking lever, under the seat, at the rotating plate.

Once that's done, then remove the four nuts and the chair is lifted off of the rotating plate. OH, and don't forget to UN PLUG THE ELECTRICAL LINE TO THE CHAIR. Good luck.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 05:52 PM   #4

Rexhall Owners Group
Skip and Scott, thanks for the replies. The chairs are Flexsteel. The front bolts are easily accessible. However, the back bolts looks like a challenge. As best I can tell, they are bolted through a section of channel iron which would require a deep socket from the bottom. However, I'm not sure how I would access the top.

Don't have much experience with electrical. Not sure how to disconnect the power cord. There's a plastic connector, but I'm not sure how it seperates. Any suggestions. As you might guess, I'm an unskilled do it yourselfer. lol. But at $130.00 an hour for labor, I'm willing to try a few things.
Old 06-03-2017, 07:17 AM   #5

Gulf Streamers Club
Spartan Chassis
Mine has 2 sets of 4 bolts. To remove seat only and leave the slide, motor, and pivot in place I remove the top 4 bolts that go through flat plates built into the seat and fasten to the top slide rail. To remove the rail remove the 4 bolts through the bottom rail holding it to the pivot plate. Either way slide the seat fully forward and fully rearward to access the bolts/nuts.
Old 06-03-2017, 08:22 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Flexsteel makes several models of chairs, with at least two different pedestal mounts that I have seen. My powered Flexsteels still had the single center nut, which was accessible from the rear when the chair was in the far-forward and raised position.

As you say, removing the 4 bolts that attach the seat to the slide rails & pedestal is a bear - I went that route once and ended up disassembling the chair to get at the rear bolts. That's when I found that the center pivot nut can be accessed from the back. Next time was much easier!
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 12:10 PM   #7

Rexhall Owners Group
Quote:
Originally Posted by DENSHER View Post
Mine has 2 sets of 4 bolts. To remove seat only and leave the slide, motor, and pivot in place I remove the top 4 bolts that go through flat plates built into the seat and fasten to the top slide rail. To remove the rail remove the 4 bolts through the bottom rail holding it to the pivot plate. Either way slide the seat fully forward and fully rearward to access the bolts/nuts.
Dennis thanks for the reply. I found a second set of bolts. Like yours, these hold the chair to the slide mechanism. Only problem, the chair will not move so I'm not sure I can get to the bolts. Before I was able to jiggle the wires and make it move. Now nothing. Wondering if it could be a fuse. Maybe a loose wire could cause a fuse to blow. In any event, as Gary RVRoamer pointed out, I also have a bolt that holds the chair in place. Don't know if I can access it but will give it a try if I can figure out a few other things first.
Old 06-04-2017, 12:24 PM   #8

Rexhall Owners Group
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
Flexsteel makes several models of chairs, with at least two different pedestal mounts that I have seen. My powered Flexsteels still had the single center nut, which was accessible from the rear when the chair was in the far-forward and raised position.

As you say, removing the 4 bolts that attach the seat to the slide rails & pedestal is a bear - I went that route once and ended up disassembling the chair to get at the rear bolts. That's when I found that the center pivot nut can be accessed from the back. Next time was much easier!
Gary, thanks for the input. It appears we have similar chairs. Only problem with no power, my chair will not move. Consequently I'm not sure I can access the nut that holds the it in place. Also not sure it makes more sense to use your approach or what Dennis describes above. It may be more practical to remove the four bolts and lift the chair from the slide mechanism. Once removed, I can see and access the motors and wiring. There is a plug connecting the wires from the battery to the chair that needs to come apart. Once disconnected, as best I can tell, the chair should come right off.

GaryB1st
Old 06-04-2017, 05:12 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Having done it both ways, I can assure you the single bolt is easier IF you can get at it. If not, you probably have to remove the seat back to get at the other bolts, plus disconnect the swivel lock lever mechanism.

If the motor itself works, see if you can jumper 12v to it to move the seat.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power, removal