Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-23-2012, 03:22 PM   #1

Power converter/retractable steps

I am new to this Bounder (1998 28T, Chevy Chassis ) and let the 6V batteries water level go low. Now, the retractable steps (Kwickee) are working, but, slow and hesitant. I put in a new 12V battery to check, but no improvement. Could this be a power converter issue, or, the step motor/switch going bad? I would appreciate any comments.

Thank you all,

Willis

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-23-2012, 04:11 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
If you furnace is under that same counter the return air vent for it probably provides air for it and the converter.

Old 12-23-2012, 04:51 PM   #3

Power Converter/Retractable Steps

If Clay L's comment is directed at me, that is an interesting arrangement, one I would never have considered. As a matter of fact, the furnace is under the same counter, and, this problem only started when my kids came for Christmas and are sleeping in the coach. It is pretty cold here in Sacramento, and the furnace was turned on for the first time. Thanks much, I will check it out.

Willis
Old 12-23-2012, 07:48 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by willisclarke View Post
I am new to this Bounder (1998 28T, Chevy Chassis ) and let the 6V batteries water level go low. Now, the retractable steps (Kwickee) are working, but, slow and hesitant. I put in a new 12V battery to check, but no improvement. Could this be a power converter issue, or, the step motor/switch going bad? I would appreciate any comments.

Thank you all,

Willis
On my Itasca, the electric steps are wired to the chassis battery, not house batteries. I believe the steps have an ignition interlock, thus use the chassis battery. Yours may be the same.

Fran
Rockwood27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 09:34 AM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
If Clay L's comment is directed at me, that is an interesting arrangement, one I would never have considered. As a matter of fact, the furnace is under the same counter, and, this problem only started when my kids came for Christmas and are sleeping in the coach. It is pretty cold here in Sacramento, and the furnace was turned on for the first time. Thanks much, I will check it out.

Willis
Sorry I should have done a Quote. It was intended for Baxter59.
Old 12-24-2012, 10:26 AM   #6

Turns out Rockwood had the answer, the chassis battery was low, and the steps started functioning correctly when I put a battery charger on it (it was a new battery, but had been sitting in my yard for a month without starting). It appears that my Power converter does not charge the chassis battery when parked? What if you are at a campground for an extended period and go in-and-out frequently? Guess I would need to start the engine often to maintain a charge. I wish the Owner's manual would cover these topics, but alas, it does not!

Willis
Old 12-24-2012, 12:33 PM   #7

Willis,

It's very common for the chassis battery to not be charged by the converter in Class A rigs. Most of us have a useless solar panel on the roof that doesn't do the job so we wire in either a Trik-L-Start or the much less expensive 1.5Amp float charger found at WM or auto stores. My batteries are in a compartment right next to a compartment with an AC outlet in it so it was a simple matter to drill a hole and route the chargers wires to the chassis battery.

Meanwhile, when you're parked and set up, you can just disconnect the ground cable to the chassis battery and it won't lose it's charge. You won't get radio and you will have to leave your steps out but...

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : http://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 10:04 AM   #8

Now, it appears I have a bigger problem, I have lost (or am losing) all DC in the coach, even though I am plugged in to power in my RV area. I am going out to start checking fuses, receptacles, inputs/outputs, etc, per the Forum's troubleshooting guides. I suspect the Power Converter is bad, and, so far, I have no idea if original or some replacement (it is in one of the bays in a relatively difficult place to remove). If I have to replace, how critical to obtain exact match; can I do damage if I don't get the correct unit. I know this is now probably a separate thread and I should start a new subject, but I am not sure how, and it all started with the Retractable Steps.

Willis
Old 12-25-2012, 12:21 PM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
Fleetwood used a system in 1998 that charged both batteries. Your chassis battery should be getting a charge while plugged in. There is a fuse on the converter. Check this fuse first. If they are good then check out the output of the converter. It should be 13.6 volts.
Old 12-25-2012, 12:37 PM   #10

Sorry - I tried not to post this, but it just has to be said....

NICE HOOTERS!!!!

They will look good on top of that rig...

Best,
Smitty
Old 12-25-2012, 12:59 PM   #11

Quote:

Thank you all,

Willis
Willis
On my coach, the Kwickee electric steps are powered by the chassis batteries, not the 6V house batteries.
Charge up the chassis engine battery and you may solve your step problem.
BTW, on most coaches the onboard inverter/charger is seldom wired to charge the chassis battery.

If you allowed the 6V batteries to to run low of water, take them to a battery shop and have them filled properly, charged properly and load tested.

Mel '96 Safari Sahara
Old 12-25-2012, 01:09 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty77 View Post
Sorry - I tried not to post this, but it just has to be said....

NICE HOOTERS!!!!

They will look good on top of that rig...

Best,
Smitty
Are you nuts?
[moderator edit] do "hooters" have to do with Power converter/retractable steps?
Old 12-25-2012, 02:35 PM   #13

I think this just got posted to the wro g thread. Probably should have gone on the "air horn" thread.
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 04:20 PM   #14

Here I go again; not having an informative manual I keep making mistakes. The finky Owners Manual I have only tells you that you have switches for various functions, but does not tell you where they are or how to use them. I did all the troubleshooting steps recommended for the Power Converter, and did not get any voltage to the two 6V batteries which I have run dead. I started the engine and, I am getting 14V to the coach and the chassis batteries. So, coming in the door, at the top, are two "kill" switches, marked "aux" and "main." I don't know which direction to press these rocker switches; is pushing at the top activating the "kill" (the direction I had them), or deactivating? If I had the kill on, then I guess I could understand the 14V when the motor was started. Anyone know how these switches work, or can help me understand whats going on? I thought my Power Converter was defective, but now I'm not sure; this is a 1998 Bounder 28T, with a Chevy cha