Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-09-2014, 02:16 PM   #1

Power converters

what is best brand of converter? I have replaced mine 3 times.
geraldviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-09-2014, 02:18 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Progressive Dynamics gets my vote.

http://www.progressivedyn.com/power_converters.html

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 02:20 PM   #3

Before buying the next one I would look at why something pretty stable is dying in your setup. Tell us more.

The rough answer is any with multi level charging of the house batteries. It sounds like your problem is sizing or something less obvious.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 09:53 PM   #4

I agree....much more info needed!
Old 09-09-2014, 09:59 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Maybe he keeps replacing them with WFCO's units which are junk...

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 10:04 PM   #6

X3, need to know your rig and what convertor/ charger you have, and what's happened that you've had to replace them.

Could be something as simple as under sized for your use.

Most converter/chargers, outlive the RVs there in, mine's 15 years and counting, plugged in full time for the last 4 years.
Old 09-10-2014, 07:45 AM   #7

power converter

I do not know what i have. I have to take the mechanics information that it does not work. This last time in the shop, certain parts of the rv get power when shoreline is connected, every thing starts on the generator. All I want to know, what is a good converter if it has to be replaced. What are the top brands in the 30amp field. By the way, what does the RV matter, this a little confusing, but it is a Avanta Damon/Thor. thanks gjv
geraldviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 08:07 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Post #2 is an excellent unit.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 09-10-2014, 09:20 AM   #9

If you still have the old converters
I would be happy to pay shipping costs to get them here

Repaired more than a hunhred converters over the years
Most name brand converters are similar in quality
Iota
Paramode
PD
even the WFCO are good units (they get a bad rap from folks that do not understand how to install them properly)
Brand names I would stay away from
Include: Todd
KJINTF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 09:29 AM   #10

HA!
Richard-I see you are keeping tabs on me and my 3-stage WCFO converters!
That's OK...I'm quite happy with the performance and the 1/3rd the cost of the other units. I make mine work pretty hard lately with added 12vdc loads. I'm using the old 45 Magnatek in the garage for a charger/supply/booster. Life is good...and you should note I'm a FAN of yours.

Don
Attached Images

Old 09-10-2014, 10:39 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
OK, I may be a bit overzealous with my WFCO comments and I am sure that they do have some good stuff.

I know of a couple of RVer's who had them crap out and would not replace them with the same brand units. It's possible that the RV dealer installed the wrong size WFCO unit for the rigs but they were both satisfied with the other brands that they had purchased.

They both said that the WFCO units were very noisy compared to what they put in afterwards.

BTW, I don't have good words for anything that Norcold or Thetford make and sell either. Both of those companies should go out of business.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 09-10-2014, 07:09 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by geraldviator View Post
I do not know what i have. I have to take the mechanics information that it does not work. This last time in the shop, certain parts of the rv get power when shoreline is connected, every thing starts on the generator. All I want to know, what is a good converter if it has to be replaced. What are the top brands in the 30amp field. By the way, what does the RV matter, this a little confusing, but it is a Avanta Damon/Thor. thanks gjv
It always helps to know the year , make and model , so other members with the same unit can chime in with their experience .
We don't know if you're trying to keep a vintage RV functional, or if there are problems with your newer RV that may be slowly, causing your converter to expire.
You say " certain parts of the RV get power " is that 12v power for lighting or 110v power to the outlets.
Old 09-11-2014, 05:17 AM   #13

It is also possible to easily build self protection into modern supplies. Depending on the skill of the mechanic who is diagnosing electrical problems it is easy to mistake a unit that is protecting itself from one that is toast.

In the same vein a way to save a few dollars or to get product when one model is in short supply is to put in the next size smaller unit than the unit needs. By the time of the second or third replacement we do not know whether it was the manufacturer or repair shop who made the substitution.

Lastly if you modified the unit by adding high drain items like extra batteries, a domestic refrigerator or a big inverter you may have overloaded the converter and you should upgrade to a larger one.

In essence in general one failure is an oops, two is a whatha?? and three is a screw up somewhere else.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 08:46 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifftall View Post
Me too! Can't beat Progressive Dynamics Products. Be sure all grounds are clean.
vapor3000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
converter, power