Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-23-2011, 11:41 AM   #1

power cord

dont know if it my cord or if all 50amp cord are stiff
edxl379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-23-2011, 12:13 PM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
could you give us more info?
year make and model would do wonders
BTW
Old 01-23-2011, 12:20 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
The 50amp cord that came with the coach and the extension I bought are both stiff. Real ugly to handle in cold weather.

jack
Jack R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 12:26 PM   #4

My 30 amp cord is very flexible in warm weather, not so much in cold. Like most rubber/plastic (covered) items they get stiff and/or brittle as the temperature drops.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 12:38 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome to irv2 edx1379.
As you can see your not alone with stiffness, my 50 is also.
If anyone has come up with away to make soft have not heard about it yet.
Enjoy the forums.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 12:42 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to the forum! Our cord is pretty flexible in warm weather. I don't know what it's like in cold weather.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 01:04 PM   #7

The cord that came with the MH was very stiff, replaced it with a hand crank and new cord, very manageable now, use the old cord as an extension while at the hose.
jgard489 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 01:18 PM   #8

Send a message via Skype™ to vermilye
The Solution to Stiff Cords

Quote:
My 30 amp cord is very flexible in warm weather, not so much in cold. Like most rubber/plastic (covered) items they get stiff and/or brittle as the temperature drops.
Most thermoplastic cords will be very stiff in cold weather. Rubber (synthetic - no one uses real rubber these days) remains flexible in all weather, but is more expensive.

More than you want to know about cord:

S types without the "J" are 600v Extra Hard Usage Service Grade.
SJ types are 300v Junior Hard Service Grade.

Code does not specify which cord type (S or SJ) is required for an RV, only length (minimum of 25'). Although SJ cords are lighter & less expensive, they are more easily damaged. Type S cords have thicker jackets, more fillers, and are much tougher (most could be used as a tow chain).

Either can be made with a thermoplastic or synthetic rubber jacket. Thermoplastic insulations are less expensive, but most get very stiff when cold, while synthetic rubber are flexible warm or cold, but cost quite a bit more than thermoplastic. To add even more confusion, there are Thermoset cord types that can have good cold flexibility.

The "O" stands for oil resistant and can be added to either weight cord.

An additional "O" stands for Outdoor, a "W" for weather resistant. If there is a "T" in the cord description, it will be thermoplastic, however some thermoplastic cords leave out the "T".

Carol Wire produces both an S & SJ "Super Vu-Tron" rubber cord, however #10 is the largest size available on a standard order. This is an extremely flexible cord even below freezing.

Coleman Wire manufactures Seoprene 105 SEOOW & SJEOOW cord that is rated as extremely flexible at cold temperatures, and is available in sizes large enough for a 50 amp RV.

More information about the different types & nomenclatures at LEX Products and Coleman Wire.

Lastly, most of the cord you can purchase at your local big box hardware store will be thermoplastic. You will need to go to a real electrical supplier and explain your problem in order to get the better quality cords, and they will not be inexpensive.
Old 01-23-2011, 03:10 PM   #9

thanks for the info vermilye's i got a 2006 georgetown here in baltimore md i cant do nothen with it going to check out your info i got to get one that will work in cold weather
edxl379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 04:28 PM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by edxl379 View Post
dont know if it my cord or if all 50amp cord are stiff
I can't speak from experience on 50 amps as all mine are stiff.. But I have a few 30 amp cords that are just like the 50, only a bit easier to bend being smaller.

And one 30 amp cord that is as fexible as a piece of kite string even at freezing temps.

So they can make 'em so they bend even cold.

And hot, of course, it bends easier.

I don't have one.. but the company that made my easy-flex 30... also makes 50's

NOTE: The stiff ones are all black.. the easy flex is brightly colored.
Old 01-23-2011, 06:37 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack R View Post
The 50amp cord that came with the coach and the extension I bought are both stiff. Real ugly to handle in cold weather.

jack
Same here, especially in the 26 deg. F weather we had while camping in Myrtle Beach this last Dec. 3rd. Now I've notice the black jacket is backing out of the campground plug end. It looks like it is 'one piece' and the wire is starting to show...don't know how I'll fix that. No, I didn't drive off with it plugged in. Bob

'05 Monaco Windsor 40 DST - ISL / '08 Wrangler
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 07:00 AM   #12

My rig is only 30 amp, but I will give my input. My original cord was black and very stiff when cold. It was 27 ft. long. I had a blue 50 ft 30 amp rv extension cord that always stayed flexible in cold weather. I cut the end off the extension cord and used it to replace the factory cord giving me a longer and more flexible cord on the MH. I put a plug on the end of the original cord and carry it for an extension that I hope I'll never have to use now that I have a 50 ft cord on the MH.
TTT1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 07:26 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Vermilye,

Thank you for all the cord info! I never knew there was so much detail regarding the outside jacket.

Drew
puttin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 12:47 PM   #14

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The bottom line is this.. Visit your RV store and ask about cold weather cords.

I will add the highly flexible cord I have had NEON lights in the plug and or socket so it lit up when plugged in.. Kind of handy actually... However I've had to replace both ends due to age effects.