Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-03-2013, 11:54 AM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
Power cord access protection

Hello all,
I have found these forums to be invaluable. Here is a new question. Where can I find a device to install in the access holes in the floor of my basement cabinets where the power cord and hoses are pulled through when in use? I am concerned about snakes and critters accessing my basement through these holes in the space around the cord and hose. There is a lot of open area there.

Thanks
2002 alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-03-2013, 12:23 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
We use Irish spring and moth balls in containers. For example, drill multiple holes in a bar soap holder both top and bottom then use tooth brush holders for the moth balls. Also drill lots of holes in the brush holders. Tape the seams so they don't pop open. We have used this for several years now resulting in no spiders, roaches, certainly no snakes. Use this behind your interior cabinetry also. This tip was posted here several years ago again, so far so good!
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 12:37 PM   #3

Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I use the same products, but in nylon footies. Same results....
thrushl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 01:02 PM   #4

You are looking for a Cable Hatch. You can find them at most RV supply stores. It requires drilling a large hole in the area where the cord comes out of your RV but it would be pretty easy to mount. Here is a link to an example at an online store.

Tweetys.com - RV Parts & Accessories - RV Hitches - Search

To keep out mice, stuff any openings, even very small cracks, with steel wool. To prevent rust pay a little extra for stainless if it's going to be there a while. Mice cannot chew threw steel wool.
AKJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 01:19 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Our Sightseer has one. Take a look at the Winnebago forum. There is a pdf file for parts. For reference purposes used 03 Sightseer. Not sure if it was available in any other yrs/models.

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 02:21 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I use the brass scrubbies from the dollar stores. Usually 3-6 standard or 2 giant size per pack. They are connected in the center. Just cut the center tie and they will unravel into individual round donuts. Run your cables/hose, whatever thru a couple and stuff the excess around them in the hole.
Volunteers USFWS. 9,300 hrs each, 29 refuges. 04 Allegro 30DA, WH 8.1, Banks, 2012 Jeep Liberty , Brake Buddy Adv Select, 300watts Solar, "Philippians 4:11-13 KJV"
Rocky Larson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 02:28 PM   #7
JC2

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002 alpine View Post
Hello all,
I have found these forums to be invaluable. Here is a new question. Where can I find a device to install in the access holes in the floor of my basement cabinets where the power cord and hoses are pulled through when in use? I am concerned about snakes and critters accessing my basement through these holes in the space around the cord and hose. There is a lot of open area there.

Thanks

Here is what we're considering for the area the sewer hose goes through.

RV Accessory, Motorhome Pest and Insect Control - RV-Critter Guard
JC2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power