Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 09-03-2016, 02:12 PM   #15
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Originally Posted by Vaflatlander View Post
It sounds like you had an identical proplem back home, had the powerr cord been unplugged, did you use a power extension cord at campsite or at home? If you know you're home shorepower is right and you can bypass the surge protector to seee if it is the problem I would try that. If you have a volt meter i would start checking for volts from s recepticle in MH back to your shore power outlet.
If you will read the entire thread, I think you will see that the surge protector has already been removed and eliminated as being a problem.

'97 Bounder 34V, F53 7.5L-460
Old Bounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-03-2016, 03:48 PM   #16
Tiffin Owners Club
This sounds like the classic transfer switch failure. Mine did the same thing, no power from shore. Power from generator fine. I think you will find that replacing the transfer switch cutes the problem. On mine i gave it a whack with my fist and it started working again until the next stop. Then no power again. Meantime I had ordered a new one that arrived at the campground. Replaced it and all has been working as expected since.

Mel (Melanie) and Harry
2009 Tiffin Phaeton 40QTH
2014 Jeep Wrangler Sport
Melmoses is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 04:06 PM   #17
Note that a poor or open NEUTRAL can cause high voltage on one leg. Make sure that the neutral is "solid" all the way from the shore plug end of your power cord to the breaker panel.
2008 Itasca Meridian 37H & 2015 Flagstaff T12RBST
2011 & 2012 Len & Pat's "One lap of America"
27K miles & 41 states in 13 months - Woo Woo
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 12:01 PM   #18
All - really great responses here.

I really have no experience with the inner workings of electrical/high voltage systems so I have a person coming out to look at the transfer switch (and system in general) but at this point I feel pretty confident at least telling him to start at the switch - so thank you all for the help and assistance. I can't tell you how much I appreciate you guys taking a bit of time to really help on this issue!!!

I'll update in case anyone is interested in the answer.
Todd, Jazz, Zooey, Cooper, & Luna
2011 Winnie Tour 40CD | Cummins 400HP
Flat Towing 2010 Kia Soul
clink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 09:30 AM   #19

You guys were spot on regarding the transfer switch. I had a tech look at it yesterday (asking him to focus on that first) and he started commenting on my great troubleshooting skills and detailed grasp of RV electrical systems, lol

I told him: all the thanks goes to my friends at iRV2!

Thanks again - you are all awesome!

Todd, Jazz, Zooey, Cooper, & Luna
2011 Winnie Tour 40CD | Cummins 400HP
Flat Towing 2010 Kia Soul
clink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 04:25 AM   #20
Freightliner Owners Club
Glad we could help. I've been in your situation before and the assistance of this forum is much better than trial and error!

2012 Sportscoach Cross Country 385 DS Freightliner XCR w/ Cummins ISB 6.7L 340 hp
2009 Saturn Vue, Blue Ox Alpha, RVi Brake 2
mvpmich is offline   Reply With Quote