Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-31-2016, 12:13 PM   #1

Power/electricity issue?

Hello all,

I finally took my first overnight trip in the RV and had a great time except for a few issues that I need help with.

The first issue is power. When we got to the park, I set up the rv, leveled, slides out, etc then went to plug in power. I put on the surge protector, volts look good and everything so I plug it in and go back into the coach. After about 5 minutes I noticed that the AC had not turned on (this is in FL so it was easy to tell) and went to the Magnum display to see status set to Invert and the Error message "High ACV"

I read through some manuals about how to soft reset the inverter so I did that to try to clear the fault, but no luck - it just came back on immediately. The big problem wasn't necessarily no AC - I had the genny for that but with the fault code it wasn't charging the battery. So I turned on the genny (cleared the fault code) and charged up the battery/ran AC and everything was great. When I turned off the genny later and plugged back into shore, I still get no power in and the battery goes back to Invert. This even happens with both AC's turned off. We tried multiple pedestals.

So essentially the issue seems to be something in the power system (I think). Shouldn't the batteries be charging when plugged into shore power and be able to run at least one AC without faulting? Any idea of something I can check to make sure I'm not doing anything dumb?

When I got back to our RV storage area where I know the voltage at the pedestal is fine, I got the same error whereas previously it was working, no problems.

Any help anyone can provide would be great - thank you all for your time!
clink is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-31-2016, 12:33 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by clink View Post
Hello all,
When we got to the park, I set up the rv, leveled, slides out, etc then went to plug in power. I put on the surge protector, and went to the Magnum display to see status set to Invert and the Error message "High ACV"
I read through some manuals about how to soft reset the inverter so I did that to try to clear the fault, but no luck - it just came back on immediately. The big problem wasn't necessarily no AC - I had the genny for that but with the fault code it wasn't charging the battery. So I turned on the genny (cleared the fault code) and charged up the battery/ran AC and everything was great. When I turned off the genny later and plugged back into shore, I still get no power in and the battery goes back to Invert. This even happens with both AC's turned off. We tried multiple pedestals.
When I got back to our RV storage area where I know the voltage at the pedestal is fine, I got the same error whereas previously it was working, no problems.
Any help anyone can provide would be great - thank you all for your time!
clink
Methinks your "surge protector" automatically protected your coach from campground voltage that was to high.

Depending upon the make/model of your surge protector you may have to "reset" it...(ORreplace it.. if it's NOT "re-settable").

Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 01:03 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
clink
Methinks your "surge protector" automatically protected your coach from campground voltage that was to high.

Depending upon the make/model of your surge protector you may have to "reset" it...(ORreplace it.. if it's NOT "re-settable").

Mel
'96 Safari
Hmmmm, I question whether or not it protected it. If the Magnum remote say High AC Voltage the high voltage got thru the transfer switch and to the Magnum Converter/Inverter.
A bit of speculation as we don't know what model, year, details that might helps us remotely diagnose a potentially complex problem.
Old 08-31-2016, 01:18 PM   #4

Thanks for the replies Mel_S and Computerguy!

The surge protector is the Progressive Industries ems-pt50c.

In terms of RV details its a 2011 Winnie Tour 40CD. I'll be happy to provide any other details that might help resolve the issue.

Ultimately it seems like something did make it past the surge protector because the fault code is coming up inside the coach on the Magnum remote control in the coach, not the surge protector itself.

The weird thing is the generator clears the fault...only to have it come back on when the shore power is plugged in. That's when the ACs are on. If they are turned off, its like 0 power is being pulled from shore, but battery is inverting for other stuff like fridge, lights, etc without charging.
Old 09-01-2016, 09:51 PM   #5

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:

In terms of RV details its a 2011 Winnie Tour 40CD. I'll be happy to provide any other details that might help resolve the issue.

Ultimately it seems like something did make it past the surge protector because the fault code is coming up inside the coach on the Magnum remote control in the coach, not the surge protector itself.

The weird thing is the generator clears the fault...only to have it come back on when the shore power is plugged in. That's when the ACs are on. If they are turned off, its like 0 power is being pulled from shore, but battery is inverting for other stuff like fridge, lights, etc without charging.

In my coach, the XFR switch defaults to the generator if we are plugged in to shore power. It's sound like you are getting the appropriate voltage and power from the generator but not from shore power. You might try another source or pedestal to see if the problem continues.
mvpmich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 06:32 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Similar weird issue with my new (2017) holiday rambler. If I plug in shore power then turn on aux battery, it will not charge. I have to turn on the aux battery switch before plugging into shore power. No one can explain why - dealer said they are all that way.
"Ours is not to reason why ---- "
cboldin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 07:55 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:

You have three potential sources of the problem to consider;
  1. power cord/Plug - If a leg (L1 or L2) is missing, or if the neutral lead is open the inverter could see high input power on the remaining leg.
  2. Transfer Switch - If a contact in the transfer switch is bad, same thing as above
  3. Surge Protector - If it can't be reset, it can surly be removed. As a test, just plug in without it
All other possibilities were eliminated when the generator power works fine.
Old 09-02-2016, 05:58 PM   #8

All thanks again for the great replies. You all are amazing!

I removed the Surge Protector and same thing happens.

I went through the inverter "error guide" and my next step is to just see if somehow the 30AMP breaker on the inverter is tripped. Hopefully its something simple but bracing for the worst at this point.
Old 09-02-2016, 06:18 PM   #9

Quote:

I went through the inverter "error guide" and my next step is to just see if somehow the 30AMP breaker on the inverter is tripped. Hopefully its something simple but bracing for the worst at this point.
Not sure what the breaker has to do with this problem
If you have a 50 to 30 amp adapter try that. My gut says there's a wiring issue at the pole. I'm assuming you don't have a meter to take any readings there?
Old 09-02-2016, 06:20 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:

The problem can't be in the inverter, because the path and components are the same from the transfer switch output for both shore power and generator. (And the generator path and input works!)

You eliminated the surge guard, so you are left with a defective cord/plug -or- the shore power contacts in the transfer switch..

Computerguy, the OP tried several pedestals with the same result.
Old 09-03-2016, 06:39 AM   #11

Freightliner Owners Club
Definitely sounds like the transfer switch. Open the cover and, with only shore power connected, test the input lugs and then the output lugs. I'll bet there's no power on the output side. Then do the same with the genny running an you'll find power on both legs.
mvpmich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 06:53 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvpmich View Post
Definitely sounds like the transfer switch. Open the cover and, with only shore power connected, test the input lugs and then the output lugs. I'll bet there's no power on the output side. Then do the same with the genny running an you'll find power on both legs.
Clink,
If you are not knowledgeable around 120/240v electricity
DON'T open the transfer switch with the generator running or connected to shore power
Old 09-03-2016, 08:34 AM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by computerguy View Post
Clink,
If you are not knowledgeable around 120/240v electricity
DON'T open the transfer switch with the generator running or connected to shore power
I wholeheartedly agree with that.

There are ways to test the contacts in the transfer switch with an "OHM" meter, with power removed.

The switch (relay) contacts that appear to be failing are the normally closed or 'inactive' ones anyway, so if the contacts are closed, with no continuity through them, you've found your problem.
Old 09-03-2016, 01:31 PM   #14

National RV Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to Vaflatlander
It sounds like you had an identical proplem back home, had the powerr cord been unplugged, did you use a power extension cord at campsite or at home? If you know you're home shorepower is right and you can bypass the surge protector to seee if it is the problem I would try that. If you have a volt meter i would start checking for volts from s recepticle in MH back to your shore power outlet.
Vaflatlander is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power