Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 09-26-2014, 08:03 AM   #1
New to the RV World
 
GlennLever's Avatar


 
Vintage RV Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 2,645
Power Gear / Adjustments

I have Power Gear hydraulic leveling system on this motor home.

It has indicator lights which tell you which ay the motor home needs to be picked up in order to get it level.

If I use those indicators the motor home is way out of level.

Currently I use a bubble level app on the phone to level the motor home.

Is there a way to correct this problem (adjust what power gear thinks is level)
__________________

__________________
GlennLever is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-26-2014, 08:13 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 455
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennLever View Post
I have Power Gear hydraulic leveling system on this motor home.

It has indicator lights which tell you which ay the motor home needs to be picked up in order to get it level.

If I use those indicators the motor home is way out of level.

Currently I use a bubble level app on the phone to level the motor home.

Is there a way to correct this problem (adjust what power gear thinks is level)
You can go to their site and should be able to download all the manuals and instructions you need to maintaing and re-calibrate your leveling system:

Technical Documents - Power Gear

If you are not sure which system you have, you can usually tell by the control panel.
__________________

__________________
Stik
Full Timing since 2005
09 Journey 34Y, 2015 Grand Cherokee Toad
stik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 08:16 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
jdoc's Avatar
 
Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Big Spring, Texas
Posts: 768
Send a message via Yahoo to jdoc
Does it have the auto level feature on it? I use that all the time on mine instead of the manual one. Works much better, also, when the jacks are extended you should get some spray silicone and spray it on them. This will help them move in and out of the cylinders much better. Use only spray silicone. It dries much faster and will not attract dirt. This will also help keep the rubber seals more pliable.

Jerry
__________________
Jerry and Janell
Navy by record Marine by choice
2005 Bounder 38N DP 300 CAT 2017 Jeep Wrangler
jdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 08:39 AM   #4
New to the RV World
 
GlennLever's Avatar


 
Vintage RV Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 2,645
Quote:
Originally Posted by stik View Post
You can go to their site and should be able to download all the manuals and instructions you need to maintaing and re-calibrate your leveling system:

Technical Documents - Power Gear

If you are not sure which system you have, you can usually tell by the control panel.
There is no indication on the control panel which model this is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdoc View Post
Does it have the auto level feature on it? I use that all the time on mine instead of the manual one. Works much better, also, when the jacks are extended you should get some spray silicone and spray it on them. This will help them move in and out of the cylinders much better. Use only spray silicone. It dries much faster and will not attract dirt. This will also help keep the rubber seals more pliable.

Jerry
This is not an auto level unit, it has lights that come on next to the button that needs to be pressed to bring the Motor Home into level.
__________________
GlennLever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 08:42 AM   #5
YC1
Senior Member
 
YC1's Avatar


 
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 5,563
This may help.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf power gear leveling recalibration procedure.pdf (54.4 KB, 95 views)
__________________
Myron & Deborah
08 HR Endeavor 40 SKQ
2012 Ford Edge Limited FWD 3.5L
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 11:31 AM   #6
New to the RV World
 
GlennLever's Avatar


 
Vintage RV Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 2,645
This is the control panel that I have
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_5441.jpg
Views:	968
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	75010  
__________________
GlennLever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 04:46 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Lt Dan's Avatar


 
Tiffin Owners Club
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: DFW, Texas
Posts: 1,647
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennLever View Post
I have Power Gear hydraulic leveling system on this motor home.

It has indicator lights which tell you which ay the motor home needs to be picked up in order to get it level.

If I use those indicators the motor home is way out of level.

Currently I use a bubble level app on the phone to level the motor home.

Is there a way to correct this problem (adjust what power gear thinks is level)
I have a Kwikee, which is the old name for Power Gear and the following is the procedure for re-calibrate the level indicator on mine:

Turn the coach ignition to the accessory position. With the coach in a level attitude press and hold the ALL UP, BI-LEVEL FRONT and BI-LEVEL REAR buttons simulaneously. You should hear an audible beep. Turn the control ‘on’ and all four indicator lights should now be lit indicating the level sensor is showing the coach to be level. If all four LEDs are not illuminated, repeat last 2 steps. (NOTE: Coach must be level first.)

Pay attention to the last NOTE. You must first level the coach using your bubble level, then do the procedure to re-calibrate the indicators. It looks like you do not have auto-level, but trying to use auto level without re-setting the indicators, as some have said to do, won't work. It will only adjust itself to what the indicators are saying is level, which is not correct.

I don't know if this procedure will work on yours, but there should be something in your manual on how to re-calibrate it back to level. I had to use this procedure on mine and it is now pretty accurate for manual or auto-level.
__________________
Dan & Ro with two Rescued Boston "Terrorists" Jade & Jewel
2017 Phaeton 40IH Maroon Coral - Power Glide Chassis with IFS (05/17)
Previously '15 Tiffin Allegro RED 38QRA and '06 Itasca Sunrise 35A
'12 Jeep Wrangler Sport and/or '08 Honda Goldwing
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 09:47 PM   #8
New to the RV World
 
GlennLever's Avatar


 
Vintage RV Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 2,645
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Dan View Post
I have a Kwikee, which is the old name for Power Gear and the following is the procedure for re-calibrate the level indicator on mine:

Turn the coach ignition to the accessory position. With the coach in a level attitude press and hold the ALL UP, BI-LEVEL FRONT and BI-LEVEL REAR buttons simulaneously. You should hear an audible beep. Turn the control ‘on’ and all four indicator lights should now be lit indicating the level sensor is showing the coach to be level. If all four LEDs are not illuminated, repeat last 2 steps. (NOTE: Coach must be level first.)

Pay attention to the last NOTE. You must first level the coach using your bubble level, then do the procedure to re-calibrate the indicators. It looks like you do not have auto-level, but trying to use auto level without re-setting the indicators, as some have said to do, won't work. It will only adjust itself to what the indicators are saying is level, which is not correct.

I don't know if this procedure will work on yours, but there should be something in your manual on how to re-calibrate it back to level. I had to use this procedure on mine and it is now pretty accurate for manual or auto-level.
Thanks, I sent an e-mail to Power Gear, I will see if they respond.
__________________
GlennLever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 11:17 AM   #9
New to the RV World
 
GlennLever's Avatar


 
Vintage RV Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 2,645
So I wrote to Power Gear and got these instructions back.



I have read the entire instruction sheet you supplied to recalibrate my Power Gear Leveling unit.

The one piece of information I did not have is whether there is a harness plugged into the auxiliary receptacle.

It appears this information is needed to complete the recalibration.

I took the cover off the control unit and I took the cover off the control unit and it does not look like the one pictured on the instruction sheet.





The compartment is dark and I could not use a flash as it wiped out the detail, but there appears to be screws to make adjustments. This is a close up of a label that appears to be a left/right adjustment?



and behind the wires there appears to be a label for a screw to adjust front to rear



This is what the control panel looks like.



Would you please advise me on how to proceed. I have done nothing as yet
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Power Gear semi auto level.pdf (79.2 KB, 240 views)
__________________
GlennLever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 05:51 PM   #10
New to the RV World
 
GlennLever's Avatar


 
Vintage RV Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 2,645
So I e-mailed power gear and received this replay back.

Hello,

Please see the attached PDF tip sheet for calibrating the system. Thank you.

Bill




I went over to a local mall parking lot and tried to get it into the recalibration mode and could not.

I sent this e-mail back

Bill,

I got a chance today to play with the recalibration of the Power Gear in my American Dream (Diesel Pusher with air suspension).

I tried many times and could not get it to enter the calibration mode.

With key on and the control pad off I pushed the front button five times and the rear button five times and nothing happens (no flashing lights).

I did this quickly, slowly, held the bottoms momentarily, and other combinations, but I could not get it to enter the calibration mode.

Help.



I received this e-mail back.

Hello,

If it won't go into calibration mode then you have a defective control box unfortunately. What was the part number on your touchpad or control box? Thank you.

Bill


I sent this back

Attached are photos of the touch pad and the control unit. Where would the part number be / which is bad?

Part number on the unit in the basement of the motor home is 02753-01 (picture DSC 5534)






The response was.

Hello,

The control box is the 2bd picture, verify this is mounted securely upside down and the arrow is pointing towards the front of the vehicle. Both of these items are obsolete, they are replaced by a 500643S which is a new touchpad and control box, it will upgrade it to a automatic system. There will also be a wiring change at the pump that will be needed. The instructions and harnesses come in this kit. Please order from a dealer or retailer linked below. Thank you.

Bill


I think I will just live with it, unless someone as another way of getting in the recalibration mode or I can manually adjust the level with these screws.





Any thoughts?
__________________
See projects on my 1997 America Dream here, Index to the projects is in the first post.
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f107/proj...am-174380.html

GlennLever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 04:14 PM   #11
New to the RV World
 
GlennLever's Avatar


 
Vintage RV Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 2,645
I sent a message to Power gear.

Ok, how about if I loosen the mounting screws and insert washers between the base of the unit and the ceiling of the basement?

That way I am not touching the unit adjustment screws, just altering the angle which it is mount to the ceiling of the basement of the motor home?


I got this message back.

Hello,

I have attached a PDF tip sheet for adjusting these screws, try this and see what you get. Take the voltage measurements first before adjusting anything. Thank you.

Bill


This is the PDF that they sent, there is an adjustment that can be made. I do not know if I will get a chance to try it before I go.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Power Gear Electronic control box adjustment.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	213.8 KB
ID:	77716  
__________________

__________________
See projects on my 1997 America Dream here, Index to the projects is in the first post.
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f107/proj...am-174380.html

GlennLever is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
power, power gear



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Power Gear jack problem lp5151 Fleetwood Products Owner's Forum 784 07-16-2017 11:58 PM
Power Gear Leveler Problem moon12 RV Systems & Appliances 8 10-02-2014 12:22 PM
Power Gear Auto Level macnkat RV Systems & Appliances 2 07-26-2014 06:38 PM
Power Gear Leveling Neutral Safety Switch Problem jpbill National RV Owner's Forum 5 07-21-2014 06:07 PM
Power gear leveling problem (Workhorse) 03Dolphinlx National RV Owner's Forum 1 05-21-2014 02:34 PM

» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:57 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.