Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-27-2013, 12:59 PM   #1

Power Gear ELECTRIC Leveling Jacks (Lawsuit ?)

ok ! I am a new member and I am spitting MAD ! I have a 2008 Fleetwood Providence rear diesel pusher. Before that I had a Bounder 1997 with hydrolic levelers and not one problem (other than fluid being to low a few times) with them for 11 years ! Now I bought this 2008 Providence. I love it accept for one thing. The ELECTRIC power jacks. It is a LEMON system ! I am fed up. as soon as my two year warranty was up, I had to get a mobile repair guy to come into a park cause one jack wouldn't go up. Had to wait around for most part of a day when I needed to travel not to mention the Cost! Turns out moisture got in the boot and motor seized. The year later another two went, same problem ! Dealer told me and I quote " i am not going to sugar-coat it, you will always have this problem". So they said they will put new rubber boots on and silicone them to keep water out. They said I would have to pay them to check boots every year. Well guess what guys, I dont think you can keep the water out no matter what you do. I hasnt been a year yet and there seized again. just error,error, and error on the panel.
As far as I know, power gear switched from electric back to hydrolic the year later, when they realized the problem...can anyone confirm this for me ? We shouldn't have to pay someone to reseal and recheck these boots every year anyways ! Has anyone thought of a Class Action Lawsuit ??? If not, why not ! This is NOT right. This is not NORMAL wear and tear ! Power Gear and Fleetwood should be held responsible for this. Does anybody else agree?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-27-2013, 01:15 PM   #2

Just as additional Info, I have been looking around the internet and I know that there are LOTS and LOTS of others that have gone through agony with this issue. And Power Gear wont offer any help. What are we to do. The only way I see is to change the system over to a Hydrolic system, but dealer said thats about 8-12 thousand dollars.

Old 04-27-2013, 06:47 PM   #3

There was a long thread on the power gear electric jacks . maybe you can search for it or perhaps if Clifftall is monitoring he can point you in the right direction. The electric jacks have been a royal PIA and only by being careful on your maintenance will you gain any satisfaction . I have had the silicone sealing done and still have a problem from time to time . Most times I am able to clear the error mode by following the instruction manual. Power gear also has instructions on line . I too am unhappy with the leveling system , But it is better after making the necessary modifications .
Otherwise my Fleetwood coach is trouble free
Old 04-27-2013, 06:48 PM   #4

Is anyone there ? I guess all those that got lemoned are ok with this. Well like I said, I'm bloomin mad... I absolutely don't think that they should be able to get away with this. Do you know how much money their making off of us for selling us (those that have the lemon system) the electric motors ?
I've seen class action lawsuits for much less than this.
I think they went back to hydrolic system the very next year.
Old 04-27-2013, 06:53 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by phranc View Post
There was a long thread on the power gear electric jacks . maybe you can search for it or perhaps if Clifftall is monitoring he can point you in the right direction. The electric jacks have been a royal PIA and only by being careful on your maintenance will you gain any satisfaction . I have had the silicone sealing done and still have a problem from time to time . Most times I am able to clear the error mode by following the instruction manual. Power gear also has instructions on line . I too am unhappy with the leveling system , But it is better after making the necessary modifications .
Otherwise my Fleetwood coach is trouble free
Thanks for the info. My dealer sealed the boots with silicone as well last year and I bet dollars to donuts that at least one if not more motors are corroded from moisture again. I have spent $600-700. dollars already for the same situation.
I think i saw the thread and there is a link that power gear gives but that is not going to help seized motors that i think i have again.
Old 04-27-2013, 07:00 PM   #6

the pressure that the spray gives from the wheels is amazing ! if your in a good downpour which you will be from time to time. Have you ever noticed the water pressure that comes from the wheels of that trucks. And my jacks and motors are right behind that. It's crazy.
Old 04-27-2013, 07:13 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Power Gear jack problem
This should keep you busy if you read all this. I guess I am lucky , I have this system never had a problem. It is nothing new as you see by when the post started .
Old 04-28-2013, 03:16 AM   #8
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by what next View Post
Power Gear jack problem
This should keep you busy if you read all this. I guess I am lucky , I have this system never had a problem. It is nothing new as you see by when the post started .
Thanks for posting that link. There have been some design issues but with the help from Power Gear ( which continues to be supportive in the only way they currently can ) and some of our members , these issues have been controlled and for the most part are no longer an issue. Power Gear recently put out a seven page troubleshooting guide which I posted in that thread.
I think it's fair to say that all leveling systems have had their issues. Do a search for HWH and you'll see plenty.

PS
Welcome to IRV2. I see this is your first post here. Hopefully you'll enjoy the rest of the forum as well.
Cliff

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 09:51 AM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Is there some way to have a shield made to protect the jacks from the water spray?
Chuck & Teri, 1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53 Chassis with tag axle, Chassis build date 1/99 in Mexico, Banks System, w/Trans Command, Air Lift Air Bags on rear, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, and TigerTrak track bars front and rear, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2013 VW Passat TDI SEL Toad, 1994 36 ft. Avion 5th Wheel. FMCA #F430129
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 09:48 PM   #10

Thanks guys. This looks like a great RING Site. I saw that thread before and someone gave a "Solutions" or a guide to this problem. I tried to find it bit didn't see it. I'm currently on the road going home from Florida. So I will look more later. Does anyone know what it is though? If not I will look more later. Thanks again but I think I am still going to talk to a lawyer. Especially if I find out 1 to 4 of my motors are seized again.
Old 04-28-2013, 09:52 PM   #11

Meant "RVing" site. And the "Help Solutions" link was from Power Gear.
Old 04-29-2013, 01:56 AM   #12
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKaytor View Post
Meant "RVing" site. And the "Help Solutions" link was from Power Gear.
Here is a link to the PG troubleshooting guide that is in our files.
http://support.powergearus.com/techdocs/82-L0524.pdf

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jacks, leveling, power