Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-03-2012, 08:03 PM   #1

Power gear hydrolic jacks wont go down

Hi Folks, need a little help again. Had a flat tire last night and had a service guy out to change the tire. Used the coaches jacks to raise it up for him. I know, I know, not supposed to do that but late at night and just wanted to get back on the road.

Today upon arriving at the camp site, went to put jacks down, went fine. Went to put backs down, hydrolic pump spins freely, no load, rear jacks do not go down. Raise fronts and try rears, same, try fronts again and now they won't go down. Pump motor is spinning freely with no load.

Tried topping up fluid but no change

Any ideas, I am new to hydrolics but generally pretty handy at fixing things one way or another. Is there an impeller in the motor that creates the pressure? How does it all work?

See no leaks or hose issues. Don't think it's electrical as the pump is obviously coming on and spinning freely with no load.

Look forward to any responses, as it will be a long week leaning and rocking.

Rig is 97 Bounder with f53 chassis, Power Gear Hydrolic Jacks
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2012, 08:15 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Power Gear Hydraulic Jacks

First check the hydraulic fluid level in the reservoir. There may not be enough to operate the jacks. Reservoir is, most likely, under the hood, up front. There is a fill cap on top. Fill as full as it will go, then try again. Regular transmission type fluid will work.

If that doesn't solve the problem, based on what you say, the pump may be bad,

Good luck and..............

Happy Trails!

Darryl
desobelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 08:21 PM   #3

Filled to the brim
Old 08-03-2012, 08:40 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
The pump is a gear pump with a starter motor mounted to it.By it working once I suspect a sheared pump or open by-pass.To test this, loosen the main pressure line from the pump to valve body.Have someone push one lever while watching for oil to shoot out.HIGH PRESSURE LINE.Stand back.If you have good pressure the problem is an open by-pass. Mine is a 93 on Osk,probable the same.Hope this helps.
mackpeteno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 04:34 AM   #5
Community Administrator

Power gear techs can be reached via email ( mon-fri). They are very helpful. Their email address is. info@powergearus.com

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 06:23 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I'm not sure that an open hose test will prove if the pump can supply pressure...

i had one go bad on a 99 pace arrow a few years ago. the impeller had ground into its cavity to the point where there was so much end play that it just couldn't pressurise. symptoms were the same as your except...
mine failed gradually, over several weeks of use. just kept getting weaker and weaker. never got so bad the jacks wouldn't go down, they would hit the ground and that was it... motor spinning like mad with no sound of load at all.

i found a brand new pump, motor, and reservoir on ebay for a decent price, transferred my solenoids and Electrics to it, and it worked great.

i'm not aware of a pressure relief valve in this system.
trying to recall what locks the shaft into the motor, but memory fading, i think it is just a flat on the shaft.
if you need the manuals, send me your email address, or look on powergears website, they are all there.
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 08:27 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
If fronts go down and they will lift the MH.
Then nothing is wrong with the pump.
Same pump for front & rear.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 09:41 AM   #8

Thanks for all the responses so far. I'll start poking around on it today
Old 08-25-2012, 10:43 PM   #9

Well I finally had a chance to tear apart the hydraulic system on the Bounder and learned a lot ( also a lot of what not to do). Ended up tearing the whole assembly out. Should have just taken the resivour off and I probably would have found it right away. But resivour did not come off easily so I disconnected all electrical and hoses. Broke a few things that are going to be tough to reassemble, like I needed more issues.

Oh well, this is the gear (not sure what its called) that caused the problem. Will have to try and find a replacement and then try and reinstall the system

I good at taking things apart, we will see how good I am at putting them together again

I am sure this will be a challenge to find

Anybody with more knowledge
What it's called?
Where can it purchase?
Why did it break?

Appreciate any help
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-733332434.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	353.6 KB
ID:	25313  
Old 08-26-2012, 06:08 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
that is the impellor I was talking about above, it is the actual pump. There is a second one just like it except it it's not driver, it just spins with that one.
2 holes, one at each end of where the 2 rotor gears mesh. Oil is drawn in one end, swept around the outside, and expelled through the second hole, as the gears mesh together there is no longer space for the oil.

Big question is: Where did the piece go?
You gotta find the piece, get it out of there, and make sure it didn't cause any other damage.

Second question is: What kind of shape is the cavity where those pieces fit?

As I recall, the bottom should be perfectly flat and smooth.
The upper has a cavity where those gears fit.
The end play (moving the shaft up and down) must be very tight for the pump to build pressure. Fluid cannot be allowed to leak out the sides, it must be forced through the hole.

I'll check in the basement and garage today and see if I saved my old unit. We'll need to mic our impellers to make sure mine are not worn too badly.
As I said above, the problem with mine was that the impeller had worn into the lower plate so far that the pump couldn't build pressure anymore.

If I can find my old pump and reservoir, I'll gladly send you the parts you need.

But you gotta find that missing piece...
Old 08-26-2012, 09:21 AM   #11

Thanks JimM68.

Actually there were two pieces broken off cleanly and were just sitting in the position, I just didn't include them in the picture. Cavity looks good with no apparent wear and shaft was snug.

Just need to replace that one little gear

If you have a spare you could send me, that would be Awesome. Thank you very much
Old 08-26-2012, 01:35 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
sorry...
I looked all over, and found nothing. I musta thrown it away. I've never been one for keeping old worn out stuff around. send an email to powergear, not sure to what extent they will help. and try ebay, that's where i found my new pump.
Old 08-26-2012, 02:03 PM   #13

Thanks for taking the time and trying JimM68.

I'll try looking around locally and then hit the internet. Probably better to get a new one anyways.

Wish me luck