Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 09-19-2013, 05:45 AM   #29
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 54
Thanks John. I wonder why they charge so much to remove and replace it at a RV repair shop?
__________________

__________________
zipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-19-2013, 07:55 AM   #30
Registered User
 
Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: REGINA
Posts: 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by zipp View Post
Thanks John. I wonder why they charge so much to remove and replace it at a RV repair shop?
That's the nature of the game.
__________________

__________________
TRAILERKING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 03:23 PM   #31
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 54
Thanks everyone. Hey I got the motor off. The # is 39200428, I did a search and found one for $220.00 with free shipping. No luck finding a shop to rebuild it. If this, fixes it, I'm a happy camper.
__________________
zipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 03:51 PM   #32
Community Administrator
 
Clifftall's Avatar


 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 29,134
Thanks for the update. Hope it makes you a happy camper . Let us know how it works out.
__________________


Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 05:25 PM   #33
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifftall View Post
Thanks for the update. Hope it makes you a happy camper . Let us know how it works out.
Will Do.
__________________
zipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 09:44 PM   #34
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 54
I was wondering the motor I ordered, it has the bearing bolted to it, do I remove it since the bearing is still in the pump assy. from where I removed the bad pump? Thanks.
__________________
zipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 04:32 AM   #35
Community Administrator
 
Clifftall's Avatar


 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 29,134
Quote:
Originally Posted by zipp View Post
I was wondering the motor I ordered, it has the bearing bolted to it, do I remove it since the bearing is still in the pump assy. from where I removed the bad pump? Thanks.
An email to PG will get you a fast response . Their address is. info@powergearus.com . I've found the techs there to be very helpful and they respond quickly.
__________________


Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 08:17 AM   #36
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 54
Well I e-mailed Power Gear. Not what I wanted to hear, He said I have to take the whole tank off, and knock the bearing out with a punch.Now I'm wondering, if have to get the whole thing as one unit [motor and pump assey.] Just my Luck.
__________________
zipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 08:22 AM   #37
Community Administrator
 
Clifftall's Avatar


 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 29,134
Hope it works out. At least they responded quickly.
__________________


Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 05:38 PM   #38
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 54
Tomorrow I'm going to call a few dealers to see what they will give me for it . Time to sell.
__________________
zipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 11:44 PM   #39
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 54
Power Gear told me to knock out the rusted bearing from the bottom with a long punch, so i removed the fluid tank and the pump rod, but the hole looks to small to get to the bearing. Dang it! I'll e-mail them monday. Once I get the bearing out I'm home free-------I think.
__________________
zipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 07:31 AM   #40
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 133
Hi Zipp:
I have to admire your tenacity and commitment. I would never tell someone to do a half assed job but sometimes a 3/4 fix is what is called for.
What I mean is when my pump motor got started to fail, I didn't necessarily assume that I would replace all of the replaceable pieces while I was at it. Sure it is best practice to change the lower bearing while doing this job but it does significantly complete an otherwise simple job. It is a little like doing a drum break job and reusing the old springs or hanging the muffler and using the old clamps. Yes it is always best to use new springs, belts hoses or bearings when repairing a major component but just know that that extra mile is "Preventative Maintenance" only. In my case I choose to only remove the motor, fix it, replace it and seal it up. I also emailed PG prior to undertaking the job and got the same advice (to punch out the bearing) but I thought that I would knowingly take the risk and not do the PM. This said, with the motor out I was able to feel and rotate the bearing and it turned smoothly, if it felt rough I may have got the extra mile to change it so I simply lubed it up and hopped for the best. Call me a daredevil but I like to risk like on the edge. This is not a safety system so no risk of imminent death if I guess wrong.
It has been 14 months since I did the job and the jacks work great, they are quiet and reliable. MY friend, the reason that I have not been quick in re[lying is that I have just returned from the hospital, Open-heart surgery double valve replacement) I am very glad that the doctors did not follow my strategy and did everything buy the best-practice book. This ( and most things now) remind me to keep things in perspective.
Happy travels.
John
__________________
John; Karen and "Willow" (the RV cat)
2005 National Seabreeze 1341 F53 V10
2008 Malibu toad " Life is not a Spectator Sport!"
John Stott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 10:17 AM   #41
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Stott View Post
Hi Zipp:
I have to admire your tenacity and commitment. I would never tell someone to do a half assed job but sometimes a 3/4 fix is what is called for.
What I mean is when my pump motor got started to fail, I didn't necessarily assume that I would replace all of the replaceable pieces while I was at it. Sure it is best practice to change the lower bearing while doing this job but it does significantly complete an otherwise simple job. It is a little like doing a drum break job and reusing the old springs or hanging the muffler and using the old clamps. Yes it is always best to use new springs, belts hoses or bearings when repairing a major component but just know that that extra mile is "Preventative Maintenance" only. In my case I choose to only remove the motor, fix it, replace it and seal it up. I also emailed PG prior to undertaking the job and got the same advice (to punch out the bearing) but I thought that I would knowingly take the risk and not do the PM. This said, with the motor out I was able to feel and rotate the bearing and it turned smoothly, if it felt rough I may have got the extra mile to change it so I simply lubed it up and hopped for the best. Call me a daredevil but I like to risk like on the edge. This is not a safety system so no risk of imminent death if I guess wrong.
It has been 14 months since I did the job and the jacks work great, they are quiet and reliable. MY friend, the reason that I have not been quick in re[lying is that I have just returned from the hospital, Open-heart surgery double valve replacement) I am very glad that the doctors did not follow my strategy and did everything buy the best-practice book. This ( and most things now) remind me to keep things in perspective.
Happy travels.
John
First John I want to say, I'm glad your home and the operation went well.If you don't mind, my wife and I well be praying for your complete recovery! My bearing is rusted and won't turn, if it would have, I would have done the same as you. So somehow, I have to get that thing out of there.
__________________
zipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 02:51 PM   #42
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 133
Hi Zipp:
If the bearing is rusty yes you have to change it. If you cant get it out yourself you might try the local machine shop down the road, they like doing stuff like that.
Good luck my friend and thank you very much for your kind thoughts and prayers. That means a lot.
John
__________________

__________________
John; Karen and "Willow" (the RV cat)
2005 National Seabreeze 1341 F53 V10
2008 Malibu toad " Life is not a Spectator Sport!"
John Stott is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
jacks, power, power gear



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:16 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.