Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-19-2012, 02:45 PM   #1

Power Gear Jacks Popping

While staying in Florida, the left rear leveling jack started to pop/ping when walking in the rear of the motor home and when the wind shakes the motor home. I lubed the jack rods and cycled the jacks up and down four times. This worked for one day. It is back again. Has anybody else had this issue and what did you do to eliminate it?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-19-2012, 03:01 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I had this happen on my bounder.The solution that worked for me was to not shut off the power gear panel manually,instead let the panel time out itself and it will shut off .Also follow this when putting the jacks up.

Old 01-19-2012, 03:03 PM   #3

Suggest you do a forum search....lots of good info here on the subject.

Not sure what system you have, but had the same issue on our PowerGear setup. PowerGear manual states that a popping noise can occur if the jack is at or near its maximum extension due to a sudden, but very minor, pressure loss within the system. This can be aggravated by old or dirty hydraulic fluid. It can also be caused by one of the solenoids in the system "acting up". I solved our issue by changing fluid and using jack pad(s) when the jacks are approaching maximum extension. No further problems since doing that a year ago.

Hope this is helpful...PLEASE let us know what you find out. Thanks!
Old 01-19-2012, 03:42 PM   #4

I just recived a reply from Power Gear on this. They suggested to lube the jacks at the grease fittings and also change the fluid. When I get a chance. I will try one step at a time, grease then change fluid.
Old 02-02-2012, 08:05 AM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Question? has anyone changed the fluid in the Power Jacks. How do you get the fluid out of the jack hose without allowing air into the hose?
Thanks
Old 02-02-2012, 09:26 AM   #6

Popping Noise Gone

I stopped the popping noise by lubing the jacks at the zerk fittings. I then cycled the jacks once. It has been a couple of weeks and no popping. I too would like to hear how others changed the fluid.
Old 02-03-2012, 08:49 AM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Novi2some,, I do not see any Zerk fitting on my jacks.I will use trans fluid on a rag.. I just sent an email to Power Gear about changing fluid and will post any reply's. If i do not hear back i will post a new question on this forum..Someone knows????
Old 02-03-2012, 09:20 AM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Wow, fast response from Power Gear. On the fluid change. I also asked about synthetic fluid, I guess it is not necesary.
(Just replacing the fluid in the tank is fine. The amount of fluid left in the hoses is not very much, so you should be ok. We recommend type A atf fluid. Thank you.)

Bill

Tags
jacks, power