Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-17-2013, 07:19 AM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Power Gear Jacks Shudder

The front jacks when retracting will sort of shudder. It has done this since I have owned it (Mar. 2013). I have put WD40 on the shafts and they look nice and bright, shinny. I am thinking that because the front wheel suspension is independent (IFS), that what I am hearing and feeling is the action of the jacks against the tires as they try to settle back on the ground in their normal position relative to the shifting of the suspension. Only happens on the front, not the rear. Is this normal for a IFS setup?

I have not experimented with raising the front up only a little and then let it down to see if it still happens. Will try that too. I have had the DW push the retract button while I was outside looking but could not determine what was making the shudder for sure.

Any experience with this issue?

Thanks
John

zzjea is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-17-2013, 12:40 PM   #2

Have you checked to be sure the jacks are securely bolted in place?

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : http://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 02:24 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_HiTek View Post
Have you checked to be sure the jacks are securely bolted in place?
I have not. I will look today.

John
Old 09-17-2013, 05:59 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzjea View Post
I have not. I will look today.

John
I did check the jack mountings and they are solid and all bolts are tight. Must be some other issue.

John
Old 09-17-2013, 06:00 PM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
Power Gear recommends using silicone spray. Not WD40. WD40 is bad for rubber and attracts dust.
Old 09-17-2013, 06:21 PM   #6

We owned an 01 Marlin 37' model for 4+ years and never experienced the problem you describe. I sprayed the shafts with silicone every 6 months or so and greased the jacks once per year. Not all of the older PG jacks had grease fittings. If yours does, suggest you try adding 1 or 2 squirts of grease as well as the silicone.
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 08:34 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken C View Post
We owned an 01 Marlin 37' model for 4+ years and never experienced the problem you describe. I sprayed the shafts with silicone every 6 months or so and greased the jacks once per year. Not all of the older PG jacks had grease fittings. If yours does, suggest you try adding 1 or 2 squirts of grease as well as the silicone.
l will check to see if they have a grease fitting. I hope they do as that will likely be the solution. I'll also put silicone on them and wipe off the WD40.

John
Old 09-18-2013, 08:42 PM   #8

My power gear jacks will sometimes shudder, and at other times they will retract smoothly. I think they shudder more often when on a site that is not level and the jack is in a bind when beginning to retract.

They've done this for years so I consider it normal.

Fred
Old 09-18-2013, 08:54 PM   #9

I wonder if you might have some debris blocking the front hydraulic valve. Small enough that it only causes chatter. Something to consider.

The rams themselves are so simple that if you've been lubing them, even with WD-40 (wrong stuff as has been mentioned), I'd think that the lube would have given you several operations without shuttering.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : http://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 01:22 AM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The jacks on my Dolphin did that when I bought it, they don't have grease jerks. I cleaned the outside of the lip seals of each cylinder with a small wire brush, just be gentle. Then I used a new can of silcone spray with the small tube attachment. I worked the small tube under the dust lip of seal of each jack. Got a bunch of gunk out of them, wiped off the gunk ran the jacks to their full extension, sprayed with silicone before retracting. Had to do it a couple of time tell they quit shuddering, now they go out and in smoothly. You need to occasionally run them out to full extension wipe down, spray with silicone, and retract fully. If you are going to store it with the jacks extended, spray the ram with silicone occasionally. Before you retract them wipe them down and spray with silicone. I wouldn't use WD-40, it's good for displacing water as it was originally designed for, Water Displacing formula 40.

Chuck
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350,F53 Chassis Chassis build date 1/99, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags front & rear, Koni Shocks,Blue OX TruCenter,TigerTrak track bars front & rear, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar,2004 F450 Lariat 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW with B & W Custom Truck Bed, 1994 36 ft. Avion 5th Wheel
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 07:47 PM   #11

Cool Jack shudder

Just got done with a seminar at the GLAMARAMA FMCA event in Goshen, IN. Definitely give the jacks a couple shots of a quality grease. The only time to use WD40 is if the seal is leaking/weeping. WD causes the rubber seal to swell and may stop the leaking somewhat.....otherwise don't use it for this purpose. Learned there is a big difference in silicone spray quality. The better quality brands have a much higher percentage of silicone in them than the lesser quality brands. If it goes on kind of like a thin slime it is MUCH better than a watery spray. Some jack mfgs. recommend wiping down the shaft with automotive ATF. My Power Gear jacks actually use ATF for the operating fluid. I personally believe that periodic cycling of the jacks is a good thing, even if you are parked for extended (winter) periods of time. I also believe that the more uneven the ground and the longer extension of the jacks can cause a shudder upon retraction. Lower your unit as low as possible and use pads/blocks to eliminate long jack extensions. I had a shudder in my front jack (3 jack system) and it caused the shaft to become galled and not repairable. My experience was $800 later I was good to go again. Your cost for my experience and advice is $0.
Old 09-19-2013, 10:13 PM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjkroodsma View Post
Just got done with a seminar at the GLAMARAMA FMCA event in Goshen, IN. Definitely give the jacks a couple shots of a quality grease. The only time to use WD40 is if the seal is leaking/weeping. WD causes the rubber seal to swell and may stop the leaking somewhat.....otherwise don't use it for this purpose. Learned there is a big difference in silicone spray quality. The better quality brands have a much higher percentage of silicone in them than the lesser quality brands. If it goes on kind of like a thin slime it is MUCH better than a watery spray. Some jack mfgs. recommend wiping down the shaft with automotive ATF. My Power Gear jacks actually use ATF for the operating fluid. I personally believe that periodic cycling of the jacks is a good thing, even if you are parked for extended (winter) periods of time. I also believe that the more uneven the ground and the longer extension of the jacks can cause a shudder upon retraction. Lower your unit as low as possible and use pads/blocks to eliminate long jack extensions. I had a shudder in my front jack (3 jack system) and it caused the shaft to become galled and not repairable. My experience was $800 later I was good to go again. Your cost for my experience and advice is $0.
Thanks for the replies. I will follow these suggestions and let you know what happened. Got to get some good silicone first. What I have is old and maybe not the best.

John

Tags
jacks, power, power gear